Titleist 714 AP1 Review Thread

Any reports from anyone that has gotten the 714s with the graphite Kuro Kage shafts? If I have missed these reports I apologize, but I presume there are some who would benefit from the lighter shafts? Thoughts on why a fairly slow SS golfer (R flex shaft) pushing 60 would be better off with steel would also be appreciated.

Any reports from anyone that has gotten the 714s with the graphite Kuro Kage shafts? If I have missed these reports I apologize, but I presume there are some who would benefit from the lighter shafts? Thoughts on why a fairly slow SS golfer (R flex shaft) pushing 60 would be better off with steel would also be appreciated.

I tried the Kuro Kage plus various lightweight steel shafts during an outdoor fitting for the AP1 714s with a Titleist Advanced Fitter in San Diego in August -- after previously trying the 712s during a fitting at Titleist's Oceanside facility in August. I went with the Nippon 850s (R Flex) given a slow SS. Interestingly, the Kuro Kage's were less accurate (shots had more disperson) and didn't give me any distance gains compared to the Nippon 850s.

Since then, I placed a custom order and have used the Nippon 850s once at the range -- so far, so good. Demonstrably better for me than the AP1 712s that had the stock Dynalite Gold XPs.

I ordered my 714's with the AD DI graphite shafts that were standard as the graphite option on the 712's since I was familiar with them and hit them well so I can only speak about them. I don't recall that it was an upcharge for them but I am not sure because the local shop I deal with took good care of me. I can tell you I really like them so far, very nice feel with a good mid to high launch which I need because I usually have a lower flight. I don't think they launch quite as high as my 712's do but the 712's have an upgraded shaft designed for high launch and spin. I don't seem to have much trouble stopping shots on the green even as hard as they are right now as long as I make a good swing. Dispersion seems good although I have been hitting things way off the toe recently. Because of this swing flaw I can promise they are VERY forgiving on toe misses, I have confirmed this with extensive testing LOL. Even when I almost miss the grooves completely, I still get a decent flight, lower than a good strike but straight or a slight draw still usually and with maybe a 10 yard or so loss in distance from a well struck ball.

OK, so now I'm completely torn. I just hit the 714 AP1s yesterday with the XP95 shaft and I do have to day that these are very nice. I was getting almost identical numbers as the Apex irons I hit the other day, but these just felt better. Part of me hates to say that since for no reason what so ever I've always had a chip on my shoulder about Titleist. I have to say that I think that chip is gone now and I'm stuck with a tough decision for next years irons. I do know that it will either be the 714 AP1 4i-6i with AP2 for the 7i-pw or the Cally Apex irons.

Out of all the newer irons that I've hit, these two have given me the best results.

I hit the 714 and the 712 side by side today. No launch monitor just eyeball and feel. Really liked them both but honestly thought the 712's felt better to me.

OK, so now I'm completely torn. I just hit the 714 AP1s yesterday with the XP95 shaft and I do have to day that these are very nice. I was getting almost identical numbers as the Apex irons I hit the other day, but these just felt better. Part of me hates to say that since for no reason what so ever I've always had a chip on my shoulder about Titleist. I have to say that I think that chip is gone now and I'm stuck with a tough decision for next years irons. I do know that it will either be the 714 AP1 4i-6i with AP2 for the 7i-pw or the Cally Apex irons.

Out of all the newer irons that I've hit, these two have given me the best results.
I very much wanted to go the Titleist route but each time I have tested the new AP1s against the Apex irons, the Apex irons just seem to blow them away. The distance winner for me has consistently been the Apex.

I very much wanted to go the Titleist route but each time I have tested the new AP1s against the Apex irons, the Apex irons just seem to blow them away. The distance winner for me has consistently been the Apex.

I've got some Trackman time scheduled for Saturday where I'll be able to hit outdoors and get a better idea as to actual ball flight. I've found the indoor monitor numbers to be close but not perfect. I'll be able to hit every iron in each set to see what is going to work best for my overall game. So far I've only hit the 6i from both companies.

Hi, any feedback if I buy my irons from rakuten website? Warranty etc?The reason is that they are selling it with fujikura shaft and the price is reasonable.thanks

Played my first round with my new 714 AP1's. All I can say wow, these are long. The first 3 greens I overshot, then I started to take less club. I am a long hitter and am playing at altitude but a 6 iron now flies 190m (208yards)!:shock: That is how far I used to hit the 4 iron of the 2008 AP1's.

Overall I am very pleased how the round went. After starting to take less club, it was a joy to hit these irons. Hit one shot thin, but it still went online and actually had enough spin to hold the green. Obviously a fat shot didn't go very far. I hit one or two off-center, but the loss on distance was almost none. The long irons was an eye opener, have never hit such lovely high baby draws with a 5 or 4 iron. Shot my low round for the year, a 78.

Coming from 2008 AP1's the irons looked very good and the feel was much improved. Irons are also more forgiving. I would say about 20% more forgiving than the 08's.

If you are in the market for new GI irons, you must go and hit these!

Nice round Platjan and thanks for sharing!! I can't wait to hit these irons.

Platjan, it is great to read that your first round was a good one with your new irons, many more to come.

Well, I just got back from my iron fitting. I hit a lot of different irons before my fitting and I can't stress enough: Get a proper fitting done before making a purchase!!

When all was said and done my pre-fitting testing had narrowed it down to the 714 AP1 and the Apex. Truthfully, I had hopped that the Apex irons would be in my bag for next year but they got beat by the AP1.

I first hit both the Apex and the AP1 6 irons with the new XP95 shaft. The numbers with these combos were:

Ball Speed = Apex 91.6, AP1 94.1
Launch Angle = Apex 19.9, AP1 20.3
Backspin = Apex 3894, AP1 4724
Carry = Apex 118.1, AP1 119.1
Decent Angle = Apex 40.3, AP1 43.5

With these numbers we stuck with the AP1, but I did hit the Apex with a few different shafts just so see if it would improve any of the numbers. I posted those results in the Apex review thread. The rest of this will be about the AP1.

I was really liking the XP95 shaft but it did feel a little whippy. The next shaft we went to what the KBS tour since that is what I'm currently using. The numbers went in the wrong direction with the KBS so that was put to a halt very quickly.

We then went to the Nippon 950GH. This shaft gave better dispersion than the XP95 but was 4 yards shorter and had less backspin.

The fitter then pulled out a Steelfiber i95 R flex shaft. From the first swing I was in love. I gained 100 RPMs on the backspin, and had a steeper decent angle than the XP95. It was 3 yards shorter though, but the dispersion was only 16 yards left to right. You could have almost thrown a beach blanket over the landing spots of every ball I hit with the i95 shaft. I had never thought that a lightweight carbon fiber iron shaft would be for me, but man was I wrong!

So, when all was said and done, I'll be placing an order for a set of 714 AP1 5-PW with Aerotech Steelfiber i95 shafts. While the XP95 was longer on average, I'll take the accuracy over the distance any day.

Last edited:
I asked a fitter from Titleist yesterday what the difference in these and the CB's would be , his response was " do you like blondes or brunettes".. I said red heads. I always thought the Ap's would be more forgiving...

Than the CB's? If he's saying they're not, I think he's full of it.

Than the CB's? If he's saying they're not, I think he's full of it.

Yea, I've hit both and the AP1 is WAY more forgiving.

Yea, I've hit both and the AP1 is WAY more forgiving.

It's not even a debate and if that was what was said, I wouldn't trust that person to fit me for anything. Science doesn't lie.

Hope the fitter was at least referring to the AP2s, and its a little closer comparison. Ap1 is nothing like the CB.

Glad to see another person fitted into the AP1s. A great iron, very impressed with all the forgiveness combined with a still pretty good looking club. I have read very good reviews about the Apex, but I personally dont like the look of them at all, the black insert on the back I find very unappealing.

Hawk, are you going to stick with the AP1s or use the new irons you were fitted for by Callaway?

Have a few more range sessions in with the AP1s, getting used to them. Will have 4 rds with them in january in florida to report back on them.

Hope the fitter was at least referring to the AP2s, and its a little closer comparison. Ap1 is nothing like the CB.

Glad to see another person fitted into the AP1s. A great iron, very impressed with all the forgiveness combined with a still pretty good looking club. I have read very good reviews about the Apex, but I personally dont like the look of them at all, the black insert on the back I find very unappealing.

Hawk, are you going to stick with the AP1s or use the new irons you were fitted for by Callaway?

Have a few more range sessions in with the AP1s, getting used to them. Will have 4 rds with them in january in florida to report back on them.

That's a good question!

Don't have an answer for you quite yet though. Hopefully I'll be able to hit them side-by-side. I will say that I'd like to find a lighter shaft for the AP1's if I could. I have a couple options at home that I might explore.

I actually prefer the look of the Apex irons, but I've reached the point where I can leave my ego behind and play what is best for my swing. I hated the look of the AP1 at address until I saw the Trackman numbers. After seeing those numbers, the AP1 is the sexiest club on the market to my eyes.

Ok, I need some help here.

I've been going over the numbers from my fitting again and it is driving me crazy. I keep going back and fourth between the XP95 and the i95 shaft numbers. The XP95 wins every category except for backspin, dispersion, and just plain old consistency. Looking at the trajectory charts I like what I see from the XP95 too. I'm wanting to tell myself that if I can just learn to hit the XP95 shaft properly, I'll be better in the long run. But looking at the consistency of the Steelfiber shafts tells me that is the way to go.

11434028946_70f23a6409_o.jpg

I know that I shouldn't have to learn to hit the club. The club should just work with my swing. I think in posting this I'm answering my own question and should just order the Steelfiber shafts, but I keep second guessing myself.

Adam, I am not an expert but it appears from the images posted above it is clear that the Steelfiber shafts not only give you more consistent distances but much closer dispersion. I do not know what additional costs are involved for the Steelfibers but is that part of your confusion?

Adam, I am not an expert but it appears from the images posted above it is clear that the Steelfiber shafts not only give you more consistent distances but much closer dispersion. I do not know what additional costs are involved for the Steelfibers but is that part of your confusion?

It's a $55 up charge for the Steelfibers per club. The cost isn't putting me off, my ego is. I need to put it back in check and just pull the trigger on the i95 shafts. For some reason, I'm having a hard time doing it. Really, it's my own fault for not ordering the clubs right after the fitting. Once I gave my brain time to review the results multiple times, my ego started pinpointing on that yellow trajectory line and now it won't back off.

Stuff like this is why I love this game.

Adam, thanks for the info on the Steelfiber price. It is funny how the mind works since we (human beings) tend to second guess ourselves a bit too often. So you like the trajectory of the XP95 shafts but other factors are not in its favor. The dispersion with the Steelfibers was 16 yards as you mentioned in a previous post, distances are definitely more consistent but at a lower trajectory than you prefer. Can the Steelfiber shafts be soft stepped, which may provide a slightly higher trajectory? Again, no expert, just thinking about your situation.

Don't let your ego get in the way. I see what is basically three outliers with the XP's when it comes to distance.

Don't let your ego get in the way. I see what is basically three outliers with the XP's when it comes to distance.

I never really noticed that, but your right. While the trajectory may look better, the overall result is about the same. Steelfibers it is then.

Thanks for keeping me in line fellas.

Back