Titleist 714 AP1 Review Thread

I notice that the AP1 graphite shaft for the japanese market uses Fujikura MCI60 shaft. How is this shaft compared to mitsubishi kuro kage?

I haven't hit the two next to each other, but did review the MCI 105g shaft. Loved it. Super smooth.

I haven't hit the two next to each other, but did review the MCI 105g shaft. Loved it. Super smooth.

Thanks hawk, do you think the 100g and the 60g makes a lot of different?

Saw these in person for the first time last night. They are absolutely stunning and feel really really nice. I cant hit them worth a darn but they are beautiful.

Saw these in person for the first time last night. They are absolutely stunning and feel really really nice. I cant hit them worth a darn but they are beautiful.

haha Looks do mean something. I love positives :)

Thanks hawk, do you think the 100g and the 60g makes a lot of different?

I'm sorry for the delay. Had a lunch meeting there.

I think it will make some difference in balance. 40g is a lot of weight. Outside that, I wish I could be of more help.

I'm sorry for the delay. Had a lunch meeting there.

I think it will make some difference in balance. 40g is a lot of weight. Outside that, I wish I could be of more help.

I have to agree here. 5 -10 even 20 grams might not make a huge difference. 40 is a lot.

Speaking of weight, I waggled the stock version of these yesterday and there was a huge difference compared to the set I am testing with the KBS Tours. Much lighter feeling in the stock config. I think I like what I'm rocking. Goes to show that something as simple as a shaft change can really change an iron.

Speaking of weight, I waggled the stock version of these yesterday and there was a huge difference compared to the set I am testing with the KBS Tours. Much lighter feeling in the stock config. I think I like what I'm rocking. Goes to show that something as simple as a shaft change can really change an iron.

Totally true. Feel as well as flight and feedback. I love alliteration

Totally true. Feel as well as flight and feedback. I love alliteration

Tim, I think these irons rock in the set up I'm testing. I can't say it that way in the review, but here it is on record. They are freaking great. Long, good looking, not so futuristic looking like so many are in their class, nice plush feel, forgiving enough. Just a really solid iron. I had zero idea of what to expect coming in. Had never even hit an AP1 before. I'm glad we had the chance to review the 714's.

Ok, the reviews of these and the cally apex have me intrigued. Keep up the good work. Golf manufacturers diffently get a great deal of advertising and intrest by letting THP review new products. Great deal for all involved.

swing your swing

Ok, the reviews of these and the cally apex have me intrigued. Keep up the good work. Golf manufacturers diffently get a great deal of advertising and intrest by letting THP review new products. Great deal for all involved.

swing your swing

Should be able to actually compare the two side by side here in a couple weeks. The Apex are one of the sets I'm definitely interested in seeing how these stack up against.

Should be able to actually compare the two side by side here in a couple weeks. The Apex are one of the sets I'm definitely interested in seeing how these stack up against.

You, me and lots of Thp'ers !

swing your swing

I finally got my clubs ! They're beautiful. I'm about to go hit these bad boys in 10 minutes. The shaft I got fitted to was a True Temper XP 95 S300
hy2avedy.jpg
e6avyjyq.jpg
etu5yzan.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I finally got my clubs ! They're beautiful. I'm about to go hit these bad boys in 10 minutes. The shaft I got fitted to was a True Temper XP 95 S300
hy2avedy.jpg
e6avyjyq.jpg
etu5yzan.jpg

Beautiful and thanks for sharing! Let us know how you like them!

Looking good. You and I have a similar iron and wedge set up sir.

I was just writing about these.

hy2avedy.jpg
e6avyjyq.jpg
etu5yzan.jpg

Very nice, pics look good. So you went with a 7 piece set, no W1 wedge? Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

So back from the range and I absolutely feel like I've made the right choice. I chose these over the G25s, and the Mizuno EZs.

Down by the ball, they look pretty good. Not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. I actually like looking down and seeing a little bit of thickness since it gives me more confidence.

The AP1s make a really nice sound when struck. Its not as loud as some other clubs that I've hit, but that's absolutely perfect for me.

The longer irons are super easy to hit and the ball flight I get with these are just beautiful. I can definitely feel when I have struck the ball correctly or not.

Overall I'm excited and I can see my handicap lowering dramatically.

@golfwolf - I choose not to get the W because I feel like I can manage with my P and my three wedges. Im more comfortable hitting my P softer to fill the hole.

@hawk these wedges are AMAZING. These are so easy to hit and every time I swing I end up in the green. I haven't had the same performance with any other wedge.

u5a4upub.jpg

4 iron down by the ball

So back from the range and I absolutely feel like I've made the right choice. I chose these over the G25s, and the Mizuno EZs.

Down by the ball, they look pretty good. Not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. I actually like looking down and seeing a little bit of thickness since it gives me more confidence.

The AP1s make a really nice sound when struck. Its not as loud as some other clubs that I've hit, but that's absolutely perfect for me.

The longer irons are super easy to hit and the ball flight I get with these are just beautiful. I can definitely feel when I have struck the ball correctly or not.

Overall I'm excited and I can see my handicap lowering dramatically.

@golfwolf - I choose not to get the W because I feel like I can manage with my P and my three wedges. Im more comfortable hitting my P softer to fill the hole.

@hawk these wedges are AMAZING. These are so easy to hit and every time I swing I end up in the green. I haven't had the same performance with any other wedge.

Thanks for your reply, completely understandable, I am thinking of getting the W1 wedge when I make a decision on whether the AP1 irons are my next set. Can I get your thoughts from your first session on the XP shafts? I tried both the XP95 R300 and S300 recently, I am planning on the S300 since I found the R300 to be a little soft to flex IMO. I am not getting any younger and have used R flex shafts for the last 2-3 years but the S300 XP95 gave me similar results, dispersion was better and launch angles were the same. I felt like I had to change my swing (slower) with the R300 for them to work. Also, I had much better center face contact with the S flex shafts.

Glad you are happy with the purchase Melinton.

Thanks for your reply, completely understandable, I am thinking of getting the W1 wedge when I make a decision on whether the AP1 irons are my next set. Can I get your thoughts from your first session on the XP shafts? I tried both the XP95 R300 and S300 recently, I am planning on the S300 since I found the R300 to be a little soft to flex IMO. I am not getting any younger and have used R flex shafts for the last 2-3 years but the S300 XP95 gave me similar results, dispersion was better and launch angles were the same. I felt like I had to change my swing (slower) with the R300 for them to work. Also, I had much better center face contact with the S flex shafts.

Hey Golfwolf. My findings were very similar to yours. I found the XP95 R300 to be quite soft. I was getting much better contact, accuracy and launch angles with the S300. (I had KBS Tour90 Stiff in my previous set of irons). The AP1 seems to match extremely well with the X95. I ordered my AP1 set with the W2 instead of the W1. The PW is 44 degrees....and the W1 is a bit too close (IMHO) at 48 degrees. The W2 is 52 degrees which gives me even wedge coverage at 44, 52 and 60. Hope that helps!

Hey Golfwolf. My findings were very similar to yours. I found the XP95 R300 to be quite soft. I was getting much better contact, accuracy and launch angles with the S300. (I had KBS Tour90 Stiff in my previous set of irons). The AP1 seems to match extremely well with the X95. I ordered my AP1 set with the W2 instead of the W1. The PW is 44 degrees....and the W1 is a bit too close (IMHO) at 48 degrees. The W2 is 52 degrees which gives me even wedge coverage at 44, 52 and 60. Hope that helps!

I absolutely agree with this. The R300 are way to soft for me. I usually would play a stiff shaft anyways. I'm only 24 so I have have a fast swing speed.

I did not get the W1 because I also have a 52* just like you and I feel like I can work with my P. Overall I'm happy with my purchase.

Thanks for your post, it confirms my thinking about the R flex XP95. I am considering the W1 as a test, I have used PW @ 45-47º in the past with my next wedge at 52º, the gap is manageable for me but I just may like to try the W1 @ 48º.

I absolutely agree with this. The R300 are way to soft for me. I usually would play a stiff shaft anyways. I'm only 24 so I have have a fast swing speed.

I did not get the W1 because I also have a 52* just like you and I feel like I can work with my P. Overall I'm happy with my purchase.

Thanks Melinton for your input on the R300 shafts. Good to read you are happy with your new weapons.

My LH 714 AP1 1 degree upright lie/R300 XP95 shafts 3-GW's have arrived home. Now my set is complete and rarin' to go. Just have to wait 4 weeks 'til I hit 'em in FL. Oooooo, can't wait.

Back