Titleist 816 H1/H2 Review Thread

sounds like a pretty fair assessment and overall a good one.
That's what I was hoping people would see. I could game this easily, I just think it's fair to talk about the overall package. It's a really solid club, and that is always good to see. Titleist continues to make strides imo and that is cool as hell.

Really shocked you didn't find it to be high launching. EASILY the highest launching club I've hit, which seems to be a trend from most everyone in this thread that has gamed it that it launches high for them. Also have zero issues working it. I've hit some Bubba hooks and slices with it when need be. Agree with you on stock swings it wants to stay straight but I have no issues changing the swing path and working it hard left or right.

Really shocked you didn't find it to be high launching. EASILY the highest launching club I've hit, which seems to be a trend from most everyone in this thread that has gamed it that it launches high for them. Also have zero issues working it. I've hit some Bubba hooks and slices with it when need be. Agree with you on stock swings it wants to stay straight but I have no issues changing the swing path and working it hard left or right.

Keep in mind, I've been lucky enough to hit every hybrid on the market the last few years, so that comes into consideration. As I said, it's not a low launcher, I have no problem calling it mid high to high, but comparatively to a lot of other things its just not, imo, an ultra high launcher. More interestingly, that's not at all a knock on the club from my end, though I know some out there want to pick everything apart as being overly critical.

I also mentioned in my thoughts thay I too could turn it over, no problem, but the extent to which I can isnt among the most workable I've played. Again, not knock at all, but simply feedback.

Ill just come out and say it, I was fearful of even posting my thoughts because I knew they didn't jive 100 percent with some others and that they would then be taken as overly critical which clearly happened in the banter thread. My thoughts are simply based on everything I have worked with long term and seeing where this sits, that's not a knock on anything but some want it to be I think.

As I said earlier, it's a good club. It's solid, it does a lot of things nicely, but IMO it doesn't stand out in any one particular area performance wise that would have me rank it best ever or whatever. Rather, it's consistent, as I would expect from Titleist, and that's not a bad thing at all.

I'll also defend until I die that the adapter is over complicated, it's good, it works well, but I shouldn't need a chart to make changes every time.

Talking golf clubs is fun, and should be, I really don't understand the defensiveness going on lately in any Titleist thread as no one has ever said not to play them and they've always been well reviewed here, but perhaps it's time for me to stop trying to understand and just walk away from all the club performance talk like this unless strictly for a review.

Keep in mind, I've been lucky enough to hit every hybrid on the market the last few years, so that comes into consideration. As I said, it's not a low launcher, I have no problem calling it mid high to high, but comparatively to a lot of other things its just not, imo, an ultra high launcher. More interestingly, that's not at all a knock on the club from my end, though I know some out there want to pick everything apart as being overly critical.

I also mentioned in my thoughts thay I too could turn it over, no problem, but the extent to which I can isnt among the most workable I've played. Again, not knock at all, but simply feedback.

Ill just come out and say it, I was fearful of even posting my thoughts because I knew they didn't jive 100 percent with some others and that they would then be taken as overly critical which clearly happened in the banter thread. My thoughts are simply based on everything I have worked with long term and seeing where this sits, that's not a knock on anything but some want it to be I think.

As I said earlier, it's a good club. It's solid, it does a lot of things nicely, but IMO it doesn't stand out in any one particular area performance wise that would have me rank it best ever or whatever. Rather, it's consistent, as I would expect from Titleist, and that's not a bad thing at all.

I'll also defend until I die that the adapter is over complicated, it's good, it works well, but I shouldn't need a chart to make changes every time.

Talking golf clubs is fun, and should be, I really don't understand the defensiveness going on lately in any Titleist thread as no one has ever said not to play them and they've always been well reviewed here, but perhaps it's time for me to stop trying to understand and just walk away from all the club performance talk like this unless strictly for a review.
Dude not at all. I wasn't questioning anything you said. Simply stated my observations and thoughts from gaming it the same as you. Like you said discussion is good and like I've said a 1000 times there's a gazillion options out there, people are bound to find what works best for them one way or another.

I wasn't questioning your review at all, you've been doing it for a long time now and know what you're talking about, if anyone questions you they're crazy.

The fear you said about posting your thoughts because they don't match what others have seen in here is the same that I feel about posting any thoughts on THP about anything Titleist to be completely honest. Sure no one says don't play them and play what you want, but whether people want to believe it or not that's the vibe around here. People are passionate about their clubs and their homerness, I'm the first to admit that, but any thoughts about anything Titleist always has a feel of being discredited for a lack of a better term. Whether people want to believe that or not that's the feel I get. Same as you on other things. And FWIW I wasn't questioning your review just making discussion.

The fear you said about posting your thoughts because they don't match what others have seen in here is the same that I feel about posting any thoughts on THP about anything Titleist to be completely honest. Sure no one says don't play them and play what you want, but whether people want to believe it or not that's the vibe around here. People are passionate about their clubs and their homerness, I'm the first to admit that, but any thoughts about anything Titleist always has a feel of being discredited for a lack of a better term. Whether people want to believe that or not that's the feel I get. Same as you on other things. And FWIW I wasn't questioning your review just making discussion.

Im going to say something and then we will move this back to the conversation about the product at hand. its the vibe because some people want to make it the vibe. Some people need drama and as soon as someone disagrees with them, they run to the PM, Text and anything else to create something (which this post will do immediately). Titleist products (just about every one) have been reviewed by THP every release. Our writers have been honest in every single one and every time something like this pops up its a slap to them. People can talk about anything they want to. They should talk about anything they want to. And they should play anything they want to. The Titleist threads have been nothing but positive from the beginning which is pretty awesome. There are a few people that go so over the top about certain brands that even those brands have reached out to ask about the individuals (I am not stating what brands or what threads). When misinformation appears, it gets corrected (like any thread), but outside of that, the only people creating anything are those trying to create something.

If you want to talk about discrediting, how about a member that posted his thoughts in the Titleist driver review thread, and then someone jokingly made fun of their swing? If one of the staff members did that after a positive review in the same thread, the same drama would be created right? For some reason some people have this notion of anti-establishment for the sake of anti-establishment. We love all brands, and none of this needs to happen but always does and its almost always created emotionally because of a need, rather than a reality.

If you would like to discuss this via PM, I am more than happy to, because I know its something that bothers you, but you can rest assure, there is far less to it than meets the eye, despite the select few that want to create some sort of drama constantly. There arent enough hours in the day to care that much honestly...

Last edited:
Titleist has Titleist Thursday at my club where you can demo anything under the sun. They have a LM too, with my love of hybrids and the fact that I need a 5 hybrid means I should give this a whirl.

Titleist has Titleist Thursday at my club where you can demo anything under the sun. They have a LM too, with my love of hybrids and the fact that I need a 5 hybrid means I should give this a whirl.
It's solid Alex, I'd like to hit the 5hy loft too honestly.

The fact that they bring a LM to those is huge, because when you're starting to look at hybrids/irons/woods, it's hard to set up your gaps without one.

The profile of this thing is a style I like, in some ways similar to the shape of the EZ Fli hi I have - larger head w/ little to no offset.

The fact that they bring a LM to those is huge, because when you're starting to look at hybrids/irons/woods, it's hard to set up your gaps without one.

The profile of this thing is a style I like, in some ways similar to the shape of the EZ Fli hi I have - larger head w/ little to no offset.

That's what I'm thinking, it's basically like free fitting. Plus if I can get a consistent 195-205 with this (probably the H1 since it's supposed to be higher launching, but the smaller profile with a tad bit offset in the H2 is intriguing) Both are offered in 25* but the H1 is offered in 27* which I think might work for me to if I'm drilling down to a distance.

Knowing what you look for in ball flight and looks, sound, feel I think you will like this one. Titleist Thursdays are great because they are normally done by a titleist rep either the sales rep of one of their tech reps so you are getting product expertise and I haven't met any real bad titleist reps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knowing what you look for in ball flight and looks, sound, feel I think you will like this one. Titleist Thursdays are great because they are normally done by a titleist rep either the sales rep of one of their tech reps so you are getting product expertise and I haven't met any real bad titleist reps

You thinking H1 or H2? (I'll be hitting them both anyways :alien2:)

You thinking H1 or H2? (I'll be hitting them both anyways :alien2:)
Definitely hit them both Alex. But everyone I've talked to or run into had liked the H1 better.

The prevailing thought was you are hitting a hybrid for forgiveness so why not go with the more forgiving of the two.

And that comes from a plus handicap club fitter who has the H1 in play.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Definitely hit them both Alex. But everyone I've talked to or run into had liked the H1 better.

The prevailing thought was you are hitting a hybrid for forgiveness so why not go with the more forgiving of the two.

And that comes from a plus handicap club fitter who has the H1 in play.

never been a big Titleist guy except back in 905R days, what size we talking about here for hybrid profiles? H1=XR and H2=Apex or am I understanding that wrong.

never been a big Titleist guy except back in 905R days, what size we talking about here for hybrid profiles? H1=XR and H2=Apex or am I understanding that wrong.

it's been a while since I have had an rx hybrid in hand but for h1 it's bigger than the hogan vktr and the h2 may be similar size to the apex but it's been awhile since I had either of those in hand. The h2 has some offset to it and is considered to be a little lower launching lower spin club compared to h1

for me I had the apex 22* and it was a 190ish-200 club maybe eek 205 out of it on a warm summer day and one that went pretty straight but still had some hook/pull tendency for me, the XR and XR pro were hook/pull city consistently and were pure distance clubs.

the h2 in my testing when trying to decide between it and h1 was the mid-high launch and overall height where h1 was higher launch and higher overall height with no ballooning. I went with the h1 for this reason and the added forgiveness compared to the h2 even though I like the look of the h2 better. the h1 21* is 200-210ish which the 210-215 being easy in the summer.

I haven't played a lot of their stuff in the past as I like a lot of people felt they didn't make clubs for for higher caps.

The H1 definitely changed that in my experience.

Purely my opinion but id say it's more H1=XR and H2=XRPro than Apex

I never got along in my few demos won't the Alex. I found it tended to fade or slice a bit Too much for my swing. But that's me. I know many have found it very good however.

it's been a while since I have had an rx hybrid in hand but for h1 it's bigger than the hogan vktr and the h2 may be similar size to the apex but it's been awhile since I had either of those in hand. The h2 has some offset to it and is considered to be a little lower launching lower spin club compared to h1

for me I had the apex 22* and it was a 190ish-200 club maybe eek 205 out of it on a warm summer day and one that went pretty straight but still had some hook/pull tendency for me, the XR and XR pro were hook/pull city consistently and were pure distance clubs.

the h2 in my testing when trying to decide between it and h1 was the mid-high launch and overall height where h1 was higher launch and higher overall height with no ballooning. I went with the h1 for this reason and the added forgiveness compared to the h2 even though I like the look of the h2 better. the h1 21* is 200-210ish which the 210-215 being easy in the summer.

Thanks Eric. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Does that mean the H1 and H2 are fade biased? I haven't experienced any sort of hard left shots with Callaway's offerings this year -- They've been pretty straight overall.

Same goes for the 816 Titleist. That was a bomber (with a giant Canadan interest destroying cavity in it that made me a dirt present every time I swung it haha).

Does that mean the H1 and H2 are fade biased? I haven't experienced any sort of hard left shots with Callaway's offerings this year -- They've been pretty straight overall.

Same goes for the 816 Titleist. That was a bomber (with a giant Canadan interest destroying cavity in it that made me a dirt present every time I swung it haha).

I have not see a draw or fade biase in h1 or h2. They are both very straight ball flights for me with a standard swing. For me the apex was pretty similar in being straight but compared to h1 it had a slightly higher tendency to want to turn a little left or become a slight pull, with h1 I have to make a bad swimg to see a pull and for the draw I have to come from the inside a little more.

For the bolded part do you mean 915 since the h1 and h2 are the 816?

I have not see a draw or fade biase in h1 or h2. They are both very straight ball flights for me with a standard swing. For me the apex was pretty similar in being straight but compared to h1 it had a slightly higher tendency to want to turn a little left or become a slight pull, with h1 I have to make a bad swimg to see a pull and for the draw I have to come from the inside a little more.

For the bolded part do you mean 915 since the h1 and h2 are the 816?

yeah, 915. I swear I'd go cross eyed trying to remember the names of all the lines.

General club question from the challenged hack.

How do tell or know a club is bias in one direction or the other?

That's a very subjective question, and probably changes for each individual. But, I remember the old Bridgestone J40 as being a true draw breaker. I turned probably 99% of the hybrids in that release cycle over left or hard left, and that darn thing was straight as an arrow if not hanging right.

It's getting harder and harder to determine directional bias with how forgiving clubs are getting, that's for sure.

That's a very subjective question, and probably changes for each individual. But, I remember the old Bridgestone J40 as being a true draw breaker. I turned probably 99% of the hybrids in that release cycle over left or hard left, and that darn thing was straight as an arrow if not hanging right.

It's getting harder and harder to determine directional bias with how forgiving clubs are getting, that's for sure.

Thanks sir, I'm pretty new to the house bird world. Not sure I'll stick with it. Much rather rip a long iron or utility iron.

The H1 is one of the most neutral hybrids I've spent time with, particularly for a hybrid with its footprint. Most definitely not fade biased though. As to the comparison with thr Callaway releases, it's right on par with the Apex for me in terms of natural bias, doesnt innately want to turn left, but as with any hybrid that hard left is there should the users swing decide to bring that voodoo into play. As with my apex, I have no issues playing my preferred fade with the H1.

I can answer it from a technical point of view.
Bias of a club goes to where the weight is. Since the hosel and shaft (plus adapter in some cases) are in the heel, most clubs will have more weight in the toe in order to neutral them out. We sit in meetings every single year (multiple times) with all of the OEMs and discuss this very thing including spending time with the clubs cut in half, scales, etc. I know I have made Fupresti, Ddec and MikeDean sit through a few with me in California. This is considered the actual bias.

In terms of online forums, most are doing one of two things. Regurgitating the info they read somewhere (it may or may not be correct) or using the bias term to discuss the ball flight they are seeing. Neither is right or wrong, just giving you the information. I shy away from posting that or giving that info a lot of times, because it always leads down a rabbit hole, and frankly I am too tired to chase rabbits.

Titleist is usually fairly neutral biased, although the H1 is more draw biased than previous hybrids they have released. If I said hook city, I would be biased....haha, and FWIW I dont think it is (just using an example from above). Its a thin faced hybrid that was designed to go well with their AP1 line of clubs. It is considered by them to be a distance hybrid, but they were quick to point out it wont balloon for higher speed players due to the thinner face and reduced spin. The weight is positioned in a way to keep it below the ball (ideally) to get the ball up, without the increase of spin.

If someone is using it off the tee more than the grass, or their miss is thin, it might not be the perfect hybrid for those things discussed above. If they are looking for more forgiveness than their long irons and like the oversize club head (people seem to either like it or hate it, no in between) this could be for them.

Hope that helps.

Back