Titleist 910 D2 vs. D3

Aceman

Reaction score
Handicap
Alright guys, looking for some help here. I have been looking into getting a Titleist 910 driver. I know the best way to determine which driver would fit me best would be to hit both out on the range, but I do not have that option available to me. I have tested the D2 in a simulator, and loved the feel of it along with the look of the club. I have read about both clubs, and the difference, but still have some questions concerning, which one I should choose. From my own evaluation I feel the D3 would fit my swing best.

My handicap is a 6.2. I am a consistent player, typically hit fairways. Not a long bomber by no means. Typical drive would be between 250-260.

A typical drive for me:

-Relatively high spin
-High flight
-Have more issues with ballooning, rarely hit a low ball

What I am looking for in driver:
-Heavier head, nothing light like the Burner drivers
-Lower ball flight, more roll

Now that you understand the type of player I am, along with my preferences here are my questions:
-They have many different shaft options for the club, how should I go about choosing the right shaft? Recommendations?
-D2, or D3?

Thanks,
Brad

Alright guys, looking for some help here. I have been looking into getting a Titleist 910 driver. I know the best way to determine which driver would fit me best would be to hit both out on the range, but I do not have that option available to me. I have tested the D2 in a simulator, and loved the feel of it along with the look of the club. I have read about both clubs, and the difference, but still have some questions concerning, which one I should choose. From my own evaluation I feel the D3 would fit my swing best.

My handicap is a 6.2. I am a consistent player, typically hit fairways. Not a long bomber by no means. Typical drive would be between 250-260.

A typical drive for me:

-Relatively high spin
-High flight
-Have more issues with ballooning, rarely hit a low ball

What I am looking for in driver:
-Heavier head, nothing light like the Burner drivers
-Lower ball flight, more roll

Now that you understand the type of player I am, along with my preferences here are my questions:
-They have many different shaft options for the club, how should I go about choosing the right shaft? Recommendations?
-D2, or D3?

Thanks,
Brad

By getting a fitting.

Shaft will play a big role in accomplishing your goals. Like JB advises, get fitted. This includes hitting multiple combinations of heads and shafts and not limiting yourself to one brand.

I found the D3 to be heavier than the D2 as I recall. Can't remember what shaft I was using in them when I went through fittings, but neither Titleist driver worked as well as others.

By getting a fitting.
Sounds simple enough, but I am a college student. Not looking to pay for a fitting. I also live in a very small town without a golf pro, or pro shop. Like I said, I don't have access to those resources. So until I do a few years down the road your post is absolutely no help.

Sounds simple enough, but I am a college student. Not looking to pay for a fitting. I also live in a very small town without a golf pro, or pro shop. Like I said, I don't have access to those resources. So until I do a few years down the road your post is absolutely no help.

If that is the case, are you sure you want to buy the driver?
I cant imagine EVER buying a golf club without trying it first.
If that involves driving a little ways to do so, so be it, as I am about to plunk down several hundred dollars on a golf club.

It's a shot in the dark then. You are looking at $400 drivers. $300 driver w shaft upgrade w fitting (if it's even charged based on buying the club) could actually save you money.

From what you describe, I would agree that the D3 is the preferred head for your swing type...but the shaft makes such a huge difference. JB is right, do yourself a favor and get fitted.

My first driver was an Adams Redline 9.5 with an Adila stiff shaft. I really liked it, and hit it well. The next driver I bought was a Callaway Big Bertha diablo 10*. I have hit this driver okay, but have not hit it as far as my previous driver, but more consistently. I am looking to go back to a similar setup of my old Adams. I have heard good things about the Titleist 910 drivers, I have hit the club, and I like the look of it. That is why I am considering buying one. Judging by my typical drive isn't there some sort of recommendation for a shaft? I know I need a stiff flex, but other than that idk.

My first driver was an Adams Redline 9.5 with an Adila stiff shaft. I really liked it, and hit it well. The next driver I bought was a Callaway Big Bertha diablo 10*. I have hit this driver okay, but have not hit it as far as my previous driver, but more consistently. I am looking to go back to a similar setup of my old Adams. I have heard good things about the Titleist 910 drivers, I have hit the club, and I like the look of it. That is why I am considering buying one. Judging by my typical drive isn't there some sort of recommendation for a shaft? I know I need a stiff flex, but other than that idk.

I wish I could tell you Ace. I wasted a lot of money over the years before I slowed down and did it the right way. Now my driver is the most stable club in the bag. You could be hitting your drives perfectly right now. My drives are what I would call high, but my backspin is so low I haven't hit a head/shaft combo yet that can take down my distance and accuracy. Never would have gotten there without being patient and getting fitted. Good luck, man. Wish I could tell you exactly what you need.

If fitting is not an option, I would suggest reading the huge Titleist 910 thread. Tons of great info in it about many different shafts with that head.

Your in the same situation as me actually. Just bought a D2 today can't wait for it to arrive. The shaft is so important for what your looking for and as JB said it's the most important thing you can do when looking at clubs.

Pretty much the pat answer you're going to hear is get fitted. Since it sounds like you're unable to I would use information available on the Internet. You can find plenty of charts and graphs, as well descriptions of shaft characteristics on the OEM websites and on the shaft maker websites. That way you can maybe narrow your options down to a shaft or three. For instance, it sounds like you probably wouldn't want a truly high launching shaft. That alone can eliminate a number of options. You'll still be taking a chance, but you can certainly narrow it down so you're not making a blind choice.

Kevin

I went with D3 with the Project X shaft. I also have a higher ball flight and needed to bring it down. After trying the Project X, 'ahina and Kali the PX was the best for me. My next option if the PX didn't produce the flight I wanted I was going to tip the 'ahina 1". There is a chart on the Titliest website that will show you spin and launch charateristics of each of the shafts that they offer, either stock or upgraded.

If fitting is not an option, I would suggest reading the huge Titleist 910 thread. Tons of great info in it about many different shafts with that head.
Could you link me to the thread?

This link on the Titleist site will give you specs for each shaft:

http://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/shafts/

Again, fitting is the best option, but if not accessible- thorough research is your best approach.

Yes...Titleist makes a good product and with the information they put on their site, it's really hard to go too far wrong.

Also, see the shaft comparison chart here.

D2/D3

D2/D3

I have both D2 and D3. I can hit D2 much better than D3 but then again I am have a high handicap index. I was fitted for D2 with either RIP 60 or Project X shafts. Both are stiff flex based on my swing speed of 109. The fitter told me that I could choose either but I ended up with RIP 60 because it felt lighter. After that I decided to get a D3 with Project X as a "back up" driver (got a free TM SuperFast 2.0 but decided to trade it in for something better). I ended up switching Project X onto D2 and it is "the combination" for me. D2 plus Project X shaft gets me further than with RIP 60 shaft. It is also 10 grams or so heavier than RIP 60. For your - perhaps D3 plus Project X is the combination that will give you what you need.
Another point I want to make is that it does not always cost you to get fitted especially when you are not going in for a full bag full of clubs. It probably takes about 30 minutes at a place with launch monitor and a hitting stall. I have done that three times at two different shops and I have not paid for them to get me measured for my clubs. A third one does charge but offered to roll that into the purchase. My line has been "guys I am putting down quite a bit of money here - can you get me fitted without charging me?" That seemed to work for me.

Back