Titleist Booth - Scotty Cameron

I agree that the prices especially for headcovers are over the top.But to call a 303ss newport 2 just a milled copy of an anser is a little over the top too.That's just my 2 cents.

What a cool idea to offer different head covers. I didnt love any of the designs but I love the idea. I HATE their prices though. Unless I am given 75% off of one of these, I would never own a Scotty

So, what's the deal with the expensive covers?

Rare and limited designs? How many are we talking about to bring the prices up?

I like yours...very nice!

Thanks.

i'll say that i don't collect the covers. that so far is the only one i have ever really wanted. and i game it. i know people who collect them and never take them out. that....is not me. i paid a price that i thought was fair and a price that i was willing to spend. others feel differently and that's fine. i have no idea how many were made but i know that there are very few of that cover on the market today (my personal cover is from 2005).

as far as the putter....every putter in the world today is a copy of another putter. a plumbers neck putter can be attributed to the Ping Anser but the characteristics and chemical properties are totally different (fwiw....i have a bunch of 'real' ansers laying around).

the feel of my newport is nothing compared to the feel of my anser. i'm not saying cameron is the be-all-end-all of that style of putter.....but right now...it's my favorite.

talk to me after i get my black series tour #9 and we'll see if that still stands.

i'll say that i don't collect the covers. that so far is the only one i have ever really wanted. and i game it. i know people who collect them and never take them out. that....is not me. i paid a price that i thought was fair and a price that i was willing to spend. others feel differently and that's fine. i have no idea how many were made but i know that there are very few of that cover on the market today (my personal cover is from 2005).

as far as the putter....every putter in the world today is a copy of another putter. a plumbers neck putter can be attributed to the Ping Anser but the characteristics and chemical properties are totally different (fwiw....i have a bunch of 'real' ansers laying around).

the feel of my newport is nothing compared to the feel of my anser. i'm not saying cameron is the be-all-end-all of that style of putter.....but right now...it's my favorite.

talk to me after i get my black series tour #9 and we'll see if that still stands.

I agree the copy comments are a bad rap. The anser style had been redone by countless putter makers, it is a true testament to how create a design the original was rather than how well people can copy something. The true test is if it the designer improved on the design by creating a better feel or whatever they do. I think Scotty has improved upon it.

the collector market is a bit strange. There is a video on youtube where guys are gathered round to buy a $15k putter that they have to wait a year to get. If people are willing to pay that amount then more power to Scotty to try and get it. Same goes for the covers.

I agree the copy comments are a bad rap. The anser style had been redone by countless putter makers, it is a true testament to how create a design the original was rather than how well people can copy something. The true test is if it the designer improved on the design by creating a better feel or whatever they do. I think Scotty has improved upon it.

I think SC makes a fine putter. Used one for 2 years. Not my favorite, but still decent. However do you find it odd that just about every single one of his original designs has been a flop in sales and those that are not original have been successful? One more thing I will add is that there are MANY across this industry that do not feel the same way about SC that the fans do. The stories we have been told by multiple people are the same every time.

Re: Titleist Booth - Scotty Cameron

JB said:
I think SC makes a fine putter. Used one for 2 years. Not my favorite, but still decent. However do you find it odd that just about every single one of his original designs has been a flop in sales and those that are not original have been successful? One more thing I will add is that there are MANY across this industry that do not feel the same way about SC that the fans do. The stories we have been told by multiple people are the same every time.

I'm no Scotty fan boy by any stretch of the imagination....

my first Cameron is the one I have right now....studio select newport. and the ONLY reason i got it was for the milled face and weights. I like my putters short and on the heavy side.....this was a chance to try something new. and I love it.

ive been in and around the industry a long time.....I know the stories. everyone has one. I don't....and that's what matters to me.

However do you find it odd that just about every single one of his original designs has been a flop in sales and those that are not original have been successful?

You make a very valid point here. Putters like the Futura, Detour, etc have not been all that successful. I don't know the history of all of them but I know of a few that, like you have said, were flops.

Last edited:
You make a very valid point here. Putters like the Futura, Detour, etc have not been all that successful. I don't know the history of all of them but I know of a few that, like you have said, were flops.

The Detour was a POS. I am starting to see a lot of the Kombi's on the course right now though.

I was one of the few that always like the Futura (both models), its on my big list to get one of someday and ship off to Lamont to get redone. Really the only Scotty I'd ever have any interest in getting.

The Detour was a POS. I am starting to see a lot of the Kombi's on the course right now though.

The Detour actually felt and rolled the ball pretty good. It was just so funky/ugly that its looks, especially the thingy on the back, ended up being more of a distraction than an aid.

Although they won't win any beauty prizes, the Futura's and Kombi are a little more visually balanced.

And, I am not a Scotty' fan-person. Well, at least, not anymore. . . :clown:

ive been in and around the industry a long time.....I know the stories. everyone has one. I don't....and that's what matters to me.

Exactly, and it appears that all the pros who game Camerons for free don't have one either.

I agree that the prices especially for headcovers are over the top.But to call a 303ss newport 2 just a milled copy of an anser is a little over the top too.That's just my 2 cents.

I don't get that copy nonsense either. I game a Napa. Now someone would call that a copy of an Arnold Palmer/8802 blade, but if those two putters felt like the Napa, I never would have stop using them years ago to switch to a peripheral weighted, Anser style putter. Glad to be back using a traditional blade putter that actually works for me.

i rolled a Coronado around the shop for awhile yesterday. that was the first time in a looooong time i've had that style in my hands. it was reaaaaalllly nice.

take away the site dot and it could be a total keeper.

In part it is true that those covers and putters are very valuable. But I think the vault style display cases are specifically designed to drive home that image as well. It is part of the marketing effort that Scotty puts into everything he does. I think they just can't help themselves. Whether the products are worth their market value to any particular person is a different question.

I have three or four Cameron putters and don't even use a putter cover.:D

Back