Titleist jumping in on Triple track ball option

Alez367

Formerly Carlos C.
Reaction score
Handicap
Looking online this morning and it appears Titleist is looking to get into the triple track alignment aid or a variable of it on their golf balls. While it’s not a complete tricolor design like another oem currently offers it does appear to focus on the tri line design that has been scientifically proven to improve visibility.

Here is the photo I saw. If it removes due to embargo I apologize in advance.

909949012b54a061209bc5d5600cf2cc.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't seen or heard anything about that. I'm interested to see it though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Alez367;n8897536 said:
Looking online this morning and it appears Titleist is looking to get into the triple track alignment aid or a variable of it on their golf balls. Since it might still be under embargo I won’t post the photo that I found but will say I am surprised to see it coming to retail if it is in fact coming at the end of the month.

If it's what I'm thinking, they have had that option for a while under the My Titleist personalize your own ball. They have several different alignment aids to choose from.

Alez367;n8897536 said:
Looking online this morning and it appears Titleist is looking to get into the triple track alignment aid or a variable of it on their golf balls. Since it might still be under embargo I won’t post the photo that I found but will say I am surprised to see it coming to retail if it is in fact coming at the end of the month.

I would have expected them to try and sell the + sign instead, like some of their more recent putter offerings.

wedgeman;n8897566 said:
If it's what I'm thinking, they have had that option for a while under the My Titleist personalize your own ball. They have several different alignment aids to choose from.

I believe this is the one you’re referencing which is not the one I saw

a803d778abf53811151ceb03293fac39.jpg

Interested to see what this is all about.

Im not sure I’m even completely sold on TT for putting. For me, I feel i concentrate on the lines so much that it hurts me from just simply putting a good roll on the ball. OR I just suck. Could be either one

My guess is you will see alot of oem's move to some sort of an alignment aid similar to triple track.
I overheard a Cleveland rep talking and he said for 2020 their new Q Star ball is going to have some type of alignment aid going on, he hadn't seen it yet but said "I bet it will be similar to what Callaway is doing".

They have had the one in the second picture for a while now. It was a custom option on their site.

Triple Track works so no surprise others are jumping on the bandwagon to help golfers with alignment.

So, close to TT but not close enough to have a Patent Infringement Issues?.....

Iceman!;n8897636 said:
So, close to TT but not close enough to have a Patent Infringement Issues?.....

I’d be dubious that something like Triple Track, other than protecting the name, has enforceable intellectual property rights associated with it, but certainly don’t claim to be an expert. If there is a related patent, I think a competitor would have a very good shot at invalidating under the concept called “obviousness.” If an idea is obvious from something already in the marketplace, it is not patentable. THPers such as Molten and others could better analyze the issue.

I like the more understated nature of this TT-like alignment aid.

I don't see this as a copy of triple track at all. The lines aren't as spaced out as TT and we have seen lines like that on balls before.

AnthonyC;n8897634 said:
They have had the one in the second picture for a while now. It was a custom option on their site.

I tried looking yesterday and couldn’t find an option to have the lines placed in the actual area of the ProV1/1x branding line. Probably something you’d have to call CS for I’m guessing?

Alez367;n8897570 said:
I believe this is the one you’re referencing which is not the one I saw

a803d778abf53811151ceb03293fac39.jpg

This one looks eerily similar to another independent golf ball company. Hmmmm :alien:

I get following the success/benefit of TT, and I think more manufacturers will find a way to incorporate these alignment aides into golf balls

Maybe a double track next time, forgoing the center line, to be "totally innovative"

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tenputt;n8897659 said:
I’d be dubious that something like Triple Track, other than protecting the name, has enforceable intellectual property rights associated with it, but certainly don’t claim to be an expert. If there is a related patent, I think a competitor would have a very good shot at invalidating under the concept called “obviousness.” If an idea is obvious from something already in the marketplace, it is not patentable. THPers such as Molten and others could better analyze the issue.

I’m unaware of any patents on TTT but I haven’t gone looking hard either. I was pretty sure Callaway got the idea from a 3rd party study too. if there is a patent, a design around is very likely.

I’d guess the only thing patented or copyright would be the name and perhaps the color scheme and exact pattern of the triple track design.

I’ve seen cheap yellow range balls with 3 lines on them so it’s not like Callaway invented it. They just developed their own unique twist on the ball alignment aid and marketed it accordingly.

It seems sort of the same as the TM TP5 Pix and the Truvis. Similar concepts but different pattern differentiate them.

I love the callaway ERC ball. I use those because the guy doing my club fitting said to use it. I absolutely hate the alignment system. I usually don’t align my puts at all and find the system distracting. I was hoping it would be a one and done thing and not a new trend.

Oh I hope this is an option and not the standard. I'd hate to have to find a new ball.

I figured it was just a matter of time before someone copied it. I'm a little surprised it's Titleist though. Now I'm curious what the actual release would look like compared to Triple Track.

Eh why not? What I think is cool is that this whole triple track idea didn't come from an equipment manufacturer.

I appreciate the more subtle design of this Titleist alignment. The TT on the Callaway balls is just too busy for me. I focus too much on the lines and not enough on my target. I would rather not have to take a lot of extra time replacing my ball to ensure the two are perfectly aligned. I like the concept, but could use a toned down version.

Back