Titleist ProV1 vs. Taylormade Penta

Lukey719

Reaction score
Handicap
The ProV1 is undoubtedly the most popular ball in golf and the Penta is coming out of the box strong. I hear a ton of great stuff about the Penta, but have been a ProV1 guy my entire golfing career. I've yet to play the Penta, but am interested. Have you guys played and compared both of these and what are your opinions. Any launch monitor numbers are awesome as well. Thanks in advance to all the great Hackers out there.

There are reviews of both on the home page.
The Penta is still 3rd or 4th in ball sales by a pretty large margin.

There are reviews of both on the home page.
The Penta is still 3rd or 4th in ball sales by a pretty large margin.

Awesome. Thanks JB

I'm playing the penta on and off right now and I love the ball around the greens and putting. I've never really played a Prov1 so I can't add anything about how they compare.

I love the Penta! Don't get me wrong, I really like the ProV1s, but if I am buying a ball, it is the Penta. I feel like the Pentas have the distance of the Prov1x, with the spin and feel of the Prov1. The ProV1s may spin a bit more, I have no way to verify that, but the Penta spins plenty enough for me. There really is nothing about the Penta that I don't like.

I'm playing the penta on and off right now and I love the ball around the greens and putting. I've never really played a Prov1 so I can't add anything about how they compare.

Ok thanks coolbreeze. Any information helps, I'm just tryin to stay educated haha.

I love the Penta! Don't get me wrong, I really like the ProV1s, but if I am buying a ball, it is the Penta. I feel like the Pentas have the distance of the Prov1x, with the spin and feel of the Prov1. The ProV1s may spin a bit more, I have no way to verify that, but the Penta spins plenty enough for me. There really is nothing about the Penta that I don't like.

Awesome Doc,
I'm thinkin about switchin over to the Penta, how is the cover durability?

Lukey I was playing the prov1x at the beginning of the year last year and thought I would never switch. I bought a sleeve of Pentas just to try them, and I haven't loooked back. I always loved how the prov1x performed, but wished it just had a tad bit more spin when I was chipping around the greens. To me the Penta ball has the distance and accuracy of a prov1x, and it spins a little more than the prov1x around the greens (not quite as much as the prov1, which has too much spin for me). The thing that got me the most is that I seem to get a little better distance with the Penta, and the feel off the putter is absolutely AMAZING! I would definitely recommend finding a sleeve somewhere and trying some. The other benefit is whenever you are about to run out of balls you can usually almost always find the Penta on sale somewhere, which never happens with Titleist because they are just too stingy. Right now a lot of places have buy 2 dozen, get one free specials on the Pentas, and they are only $35/dozen.

Awesome Doc,

Ah, yes, cover durability. I can easily go an entire round with a Penta without any noticable markings. I could never do this with a Prov1x. Durability is also one of the main reasons I switched.

Ah, yes, cover durability. I can easily go an entire round with a Penta without any noticable markings. I could never do this with a Prov1x. Durability is also one of the main reasons I switched.

Yes I hate hitting a full swing wedge shot. It completely tears the cover off the ball.

What about the Srixon Z-Star and Z-Star X? I find these are just as good if not better than Pro V's; however I have not had much experience with the Penta.

Penta has tested to have more greenside spin but not as much approach shot spin. Penta also wears out pretty quickly. What are you looking for?

Funny you say that. The prov1x should spin more than the prov1. The prov1x has a softer cover. Maybe for you, your launch angle is low with your driver and the extra spin gives you more distance.

The prov1 has more spin than the prov1x. The x is just a tad longer off the tee.

I too am interested in this. Although I've already purchased a dozen old gen ProV1's, because they're only $39.99, I've been eyeing the pentas, and even the bridgestones. Seems like ProV1 was (and remains) dominant for years, but other competitors are catching and maybe even surpassing ProV1. The 5 layer concept of the Penta just has me curious enough to try. I keep registering for free balls, but I have yet to get any from TM.

Awesome Doc,

durability is great. Both myself and tomahawk were playing Pentas. He played with the same ball for 36 holes and I got about 27 before I put mine in the water.

I've played the Penta, Bridgestone B330-S, Bridgestone e6, Callaway Tour i(x), but I stay with the Pro V1x. It has nothing to do with brand loyalty or advertising either. I've been playing for 2 1/2 years now, my 3 best rounds this year (83, 83, 83) have come when playing the Pro V1x. I've had good luck with it, so that's one thing I don't have to think about for confidence.

Play the ball you want to play and it will build your confidence. I'm finding that confidence make a ton of difference in those of us looking to break 80.

Several friends that were Pro V1 fans have switched to the Penta and/or the Bridgestone B330/B330S. Lots of options out there in this caliber of ball, you just need to figure out what feels best for your game.

Wow, I must Live on another planet or something, but I found these scuffing up way too quickly. I tested them for THP and there is a rather large thread on here about these. Great ball with a ton of spin and very little ballooning, but miss it by a tiny bit and you will leave a beautiful smiley, or hit a full sw shot and it will scuff.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Wow, I must Live on another planet or something, but I found these scuffing up way too quickly. I tested them for THP and there is a rather large thread on here about these. Great ball with a ton of spin and very little ballooning, but miss it by a tiny bit and you will leave a beautiful smiley, or hit a full sw shot and it will scuff.

Tap,Tap,Tap

For what's it worth, if the ball you enjoy playing with scuffs easily, keep playing with it. I play golf for the challenge and to have fun. When I finally bought the clubs/bag I wanted and played with the ball I really like, my game got a ton better. Golf is for fun...play/buy what you want :)

I think it's a wash between the two. The cool thing about Pentas is they always seems to be available with the numbers 5-8. I love that. I sometimes play better when the ball I'm using has those numbers.

Kevin

For what's it worth, if the ball you enjoy playing with scuffs easily, keep playing with it. I play golf for the challenge and to have fun. When I finally bought the clubs/bag I wanted and played with the ball I really like, my game got a ton better. Golf is for fun...play/buy what you want :)

Oh, I loved playing the Penta, I'm just saying the durability was not its strong suit from what most found during our testing. I still use them some myself, especially now that Walmart sells them, lol

Tap,Tap,Tap

I think it's a wash between the two. The cool thing about Pentas is they always seems to be available with the numbers 5-8. I love that. I sometimes play better when the ball I'm using has those numbers.

Kevin
Titleist has the higher numbers as well.

I'm a fan of the Penta. I prefer the ProV1X to the ProV1. I don't need all the spin and I lose some distance off the tee with the ProV1. Both great balls. For me, the Penta is both the X and V1 combined, a perfect mix for my game.

I did a little review between the Penta, RXS and a Z-Star, and back then my favorite was the Penta. My views have changed to better suit my game, but for someone who could keep it straight and compress it, I have little doubt that it is one of the best balls out there.

Titleist has the higher numbers as well.

I know, but they're much harder to find around here. Both Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy near me have Pentas stacked by the numbers on the balls. The 5-8s spin more, fly farther, and are more durable.

Kevin

Back