Titleist ProV1x Left Dash vs AVX vs ProV1x

Landy

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hello - Has anyone compared these three balls? Or do they not belong in the same category?
I have read and seen test where these work well for average swing speed and reduce spin.
Fortunately not on a budget for golf balls, just looking for a high launch low spinning for 90mph SS.

Please share your thoughts and stay safe.

I have Played all 3 and I prefer Left Dash.
Yes it's hard and Yes it's Loud
However It's Long off the Tee, I can turn it over and it has short game spin better than AVX and not quite as good as 1X
BTW - my SS is in the low 90's (Before C-19)

Last edited:
Steer clear of the regular V1x. If you want high launch and low spin, the left dash is probably your winner. Bombs off the tee, but isn't exactly feel friendly. Might try a TP5x, too. A lot of the benefits of the left dash with a little better short game spin and feel.

Steer clear of the regular V1x. If you want high launch and low spin, the left dash is probably your winner. Bombs off the tee, but isn't exactly feel friendly. Might try a TP5x, too. A lot of the benefits of the left dash with a little better short game spin and feel.

Why steer clear of the reg X?

Or are you saying it is too high spinning?

Why steer clear of the reg X?

Or are you saying it is too high spinning?
Yeah, just for him. He was asking for low spin. Just probably won't fit his wants. I have nothing against them at all. I play them.

Yeah, just for him. He was asking for low spin. Just probably won't fit his wants. I have nothing against them at all. I play them.

Yeah, I started typing before I thought about what question you may be answering.

Thank you I will try them. I was given a dozen will but some in the bag.

Yes it's hard and Yes it's Load
However It's Long off the Tee, I can turn it over and it has short game spin better than AVX and not quite as good as 1X

So the LD is longer than the AVX and better short game spin, just feels harder? May need to order a dozen AVX and LD's to see if giving up feel is worth the loss in yardage. Thank you for the input and stay safe.

@OldandStiff, do you feel that the TP5x spins less than the Pro V1x? I always presumed that they are in the same category of ball.

The ProV1X is for guys like me who need launch and spin with their irons and want excellent green side spin.

Most X balls are for higher speed guys - not the V1x.

The ProV1X is for guys like me who need launch and spin with their irons and want excellent green side spin.

Most X balls are for higher speed guys - not the V1x.
I may be wrong, but it has been my understanding that most of the “X” balls are now higher launching, higher spin than the standard. This is true for Titleist, but I thought it was true for ChromeSoft and TaylorMade as well. Maybe I am wrong.

Yes it's hard and Yes it's Loud
I agree with the assessment that left dash is longest of the three off driver and spins a touch more than AVX greenside. I cannot think of a tour level ball that feels harder, though.

I may be wrong, but it has been my understanding that most of the “X” balls are now higher launching, higher spin than the standard. This is true for Titleist, but I thought it was true for ChromeSoft and TaylorMade as well. Maybe I am wrong.

I can spin and launch a CS - but the CSX - no bueno on that and also the Snell X. My fitter handed me a dozen CS and said for your present swing, this is what you need. I was not spinning the BStone XS or Snell MTB X.

I am trying to get a more downward angle of attack to produce more spin.

I can spin and launch a CS - but the CSX - no bueno on that and also the Snell X. My fitter handed me a dozen CS and said for your present swing, this is what you need. I was not spinning the BStone XS or Snell MTB X.

I am trying to get a more downward angle of attack to produce more spin.
I’d like to think that I know quite a bit about equipment and the golf swing. However, I am becoming more and more confused with the spin and launch thing. I have read almost universally that the Bridgestone Tour B XS is one of the spinniest balls available. Yet, some say that they cannot spin it. I always understood the ChromeSoft X to be the spinnier of the two ChromeSofts, yet for you it wasn’t. Some say you need more speed to compress a higher compression ball. Others say you don’t. Thoughts are all over the place on these things.

@OldandStiff, do you feel that the TP5x spins less than the Pro V1x? I always presumed that they are in the same category of ball.
Absolutely does. It's similar but slightly lower spin off the tee for me, spins less in mid irons by a good margin (about 4-500 for me depending on club), and nearly the same for me on wedges. TP5x is a good ball if you can use a tad more distance, don't mind a firm-ish ball, and make quality strikes. Results for others could vary. I'm sure strike quality, swing dynamics, clubs, etc, make slight differences (I have a friend that sees more dramatic driver spin reductions than me), but my personal observations are pretty well in line with tests I've seen. It's long off the tee, and I have no trouble zipping it at all. I've played it a bunch this year.

Last edited:
I thought the X version of any golf ball was higher launch less spin that their standard version

I thought the X version of any golf ball was higher launch less spin that their standard version
I think it once was that way. Not so now. Pro V1x has been higher launch but also higher spin than Pro V1 for several iterations.

I think it once was that way. Not so now. Pro V1x has been higher launch but also higher spin than Pro V1 for several iterations.
Is this true across all brands of just Titleist?

For me, the current version of TP5/TP5X I could not really tell me apart. I played a dozen of each this year.
Their previous version, it was TP5X all day.

For top of the line Urethane balls Titleist perform as follows IMO:

ProV1X - High Spin - High Launch
-ProV1X - Mid Spin - High Launch
ProV1 - Mid Spin - Mid launch
AVX - Low Spin - Low Launch

For top of the line Urethane balls Titleist perform as follows IMO:

ProV1X - High Spin - High Launch
-ProV1X - Mid Spin - High Launch
ProV1 - Mid Spin - Mid launch
AVX - Low Spin - Low Launch

Excellent data thank you and stay safe!

BTW - I picked up 3 dozen of these at a higher price and I'm sure they were never used:

"Titleist Pro V1x 2018 Left Dash Pristine Quality delivers a different combination of performance characteristics than Pro V1 and Pro V1x and allows players to fine-tune their flight, feel and spin. Designed for players seeking a high flight similar to Pro V1x with dramatically lower full swing spin and firmer feel."

Is this true across all brands of just Titleist?

For me, the current version of TP5/TP5X I could not really tell me apart. I played a dozen of each this year.
Their previous version, it was TP5X all day.

Based on my play, I feel that the TP5, ProV x, Z-star all spin more than the the TP5x, ProV, and Z Star XV off the driver. I havent been on a launch monitor with these, but on the course i have tendancy to balloon or really lose a ball left/right with the first 3 mentioned.

Based on my play, I feel that the TP5, ProV x, Z-star all spin more than the the TP5x, ProV, and Z Star XV off the driver. I havent been on a launch monitor with these, but on the course i have tendancy to balloon or really lose a ball left/right with the first 3 mentioned.
Ok... this is what I thought

You are right about most, but TaylorMade is not exactly that way. Based on play and advertising I would put a TP5X in the same vein as a -ProV1x and a TP5 alongside a ProV1. TP5X is higher launching and lower spinning than a TP5 which is unique among most companies classifications.

Chrome Soft is lower launch I ng and lower spinning than Chrome Soft X but I would say compared to Titleist the Chrome Soft X is going to be a good option for a ProV1 player and the Chrome Soft is going to be good for an AVX Player.

All three balls are pretty different.

AVX
Low Spin, Low Launch, soft feel. This ball Titlest brought to compete with the influx of soft, urethane covered balls. The original was very low spin even around the green. The new version significantly improved green side spin, but still maintained the low launch, low spin soft feel that is popular with amateur golfers.

ProV1x
High Launch, High Spin, Firm feel. This ball is the highest spinning ball in Titleist's catalogue that's available on the shelf. ProV1x has a firm feel and launches easily and spins a lot around the green. It is popular with golfers for it's all around performance and spin going into the green and around the green. This along with the ProV1 are the two market leaders that other companies compare their ball against.

-ProV1x
High Launch, Low Spin, very firm feel. This ball is unique compared to the stock matrix for Titleist tour balls. This is a Custom Performance Option that according to Titlest will only fit a small subset of golfers. In comparison to the other Titleist Balls this launches slightly lower than the ProV1x and spins lower than the ProV1. It spins a bit more than the AVX and launches significantly higher than AVX. The left dash is very loud. If you want a comparison it's almost a combo of the TP5x and the feel of a 3rd or 4th Gen Zstar XV (before the soft slipskin cover).

I play the left dash right now. I love it but I wouldn't lie when saying I might of went a little overboard when stocking up.

Back