Titleist Tour Speed Golf Ball Review

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
What is the first word that pops into your heads when you read the word, Titleist?

I’m willing to bet the most common answer will be something to do with Tradition, or ProV1. 

Let’s be real, those are exactly the things that should come to mind. Titleist has cemented itself in golf tradition, and the biggest reason for that is the ProV1 and ProV1x. Those two entities have dominated sales for decades now, and that can’t be contested. However, the golf ball market has changed and fitting the broader spectrum has become the name of the game. While once upon a time the story from Titleist was always heavily tilted to the ProV1 and ProV1x being able to cover the gamut of golfers needs, the game has evolved, and we are seeing Titleist evolve with it. 

While the release of the AVX turned heads in a big way by being a golf ball for the slimmest of the bell curve, now comes something aimed at the bulk of it, and I honestly never saw it coming. 

Today Titleist is introducing the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well written, @Jman. Interesting to see Titleist jump into the mid-tier ball market. I had a feeling from the thread last week that it was going to be something along these lines. I'm guessing that they're probably counting on more people coming over from the QST/some of the DTC balls than they are on people switching to it from the ProV1.

Nice write-up @Jman . I know it says Titleist on the ball, and to a lot of people that's a big deal, but if they are going after the Q-Star Tour performance level, $40 is still a bit much in my book. Sign of the times I guess, when $40 a dozen is considered a mid price point.

Very nice write up!!! At this price point and seeing the numbers, this will be a ball that I will try and compare to the CS. Not sure if I missed it, but will this be available in yellow?

Great write up @Jman !
May the comparison tests to AVX, QST and BRX start....

Great article James. Love that you went with the irons for this ball instead of the driver/wedge combo. The addition really makes me question the future of AVX or even where it stands now. That ball was "designed for speed" and now we have Tour Speed. Oh and your line about how V1/x were highly touted as the ball for everyone, now is kind of funny considering we have 4 options in that $39+ range.

Oh and sweet video my friend. You make 11 minutes go by quickly.

Interesting ball. It sounds like it could compete with the Bridgestone Tour B RXS I have been playing.

Great review James. I too am recommended the highest spinning golf ball, but am too cheap to regularly pony up $48 for V1Xs (despite them being a great ball). The $8 difference bring them down to a more palatable price range. These will be on my radar for sure

Is this basically a finalized version of the EXP-01 ball from last fall?

Is this basically a finalized version of the EXP-01 ball from last fall?

This is discussed in the latest issue of the digital magazine.

Another great article @Jman

So I see this as a competitor to Q-Star, ERC Soft, etc. I think this could sink Tour Soft sales instead of ProV1 sales. I'm sure I will find these on a course near me soon to try out!

TItleist is the last to the game of the mid tier urethane ball. Srixon has the Qstar tour, Taylormade has the tour response. But they typically do it right so being last is no big deal. This is probably a great ball.

Great review James. I too am recommended the highest spinning golf ball, but am too cheap to regularly pony up $48 for V1Xs (despite them being a great ball). The $8 difference bring them down to a more palatable price range. These will be on my radar for sure
But no Yellow Option...:facepalm:

TItleist is the last to the game of the mid tier urethane ball. Srixon has the Qstar tour, Taylormade has the tour response. But they typically do it right so being last is no big deal. This is probably a great ball.

Aren't those the only two with the mid-tier urethane ball?

Another great article @Jman

So I see this as a competitor to Q-Star, ERC Soft, etc. I think this could sink Tour Soft sales instead of ProV1 sales. I'm sure I will find these on a course near me soon to try out!

As JB just mentioned, it's discussed in the digital magazine that went out this morning.

Great write-up and YouTube video! Certainly a ball that very much interests me, especially since it is mentioned in the same breath as my favorite Tour B RX.

Aren't those the only two with the mid-tier urethane ball?

I was thinking there was another one but honestly other than DTC urethane balls. Which fall right in line with that pricing.. I guess that is it. Still waiting for the monster I just drank to kick in so I am fully awake.

I was thinking there was another one but honestly other than DTC urethane balls. Which fall right in line with that pricing.. I guess that is it. Still waiting for the monster I just drank to kick in so I am fully awake.

Hahahhah. I get it. I need another coffee.
I know Bridgestone used to have the e5 (which was great).

Lost in translation is this is not just a less expensive Titleist urethane ball. It is a different cover entirely, meaning not cast urethane, but a TPU. Not lessor, by any stretch, but different.

While the release of the AVX turned heads in a big way by being a golf ball for the slimmest of the bell curve

James, I keep reading and hearing this ball referred to that way but really don't understand why. To me, it plays extremely similar to the Bridgestone Tour B RX but I never see or hear that ball referred to in the same way.

Hahahhah. I get it. I need another coffee.
I know Bridgestone used to have the e5 (which was great).

Lost in translation is this is not just a less expensive Titleist urethane ball. It is a different cover entirely, meaning not cast urethane, but a TPU. Not lessor, by any stretch, but different.

I wonder if this is the result of the EXP.1 ball that was out last year?? There were feedback cards in those boxes for research purposes. I think it was about the same price....

This might be a very good ball for a lot of people, what is the compression of this ball?

Interesting offering from Titleist but, at twice the price most pay for QSTs, how many golfers will it draw from that market? I will try them once available in my market but it will have to be a major upgrade to make me switch.
Excellent write up as always @Jman ! :)

Can’t wait till 9/7 to try out. Out of curiosity with those who actually get ball fittings is this a response to a demand they were missing in the consumers and fitters eyes.

I wonder if this is the result of the EXP.1 ball that was out last year?? There were feedback cards in those boxes for research purposes. I think it was about the same price....

See the latest issue of the digital magazine.

As JB just mentioned, it's discussed in the digital magazine that went out this morning.
I saw that then changed my post LOL!

Back