Titleist Vokey SM8 Wedges

I will be changing out my wedges this year, thought i was set on Callaway....now I'm not so sure. Definitely going to try these out, not tried new Vokeys for a couple of years now, am very interested. Not as nice looking as some of the other Vokeys I've seen, but still going to be worth a hit.

Never said that. The T7’s are much classier looking imo.

Don’t hate these, but they’re quite a visual departure for Vokey.

I believe DD is asking “they look like T7s?”

I believe DD is asking “they look like T7s?”
That’s how I read it. Was just answering that I never said that. And I do think the T7’s look classier.

Actually like the look of these. Weird to see Vokey shy away from the traditional layout they had for so long. It's a welcomed changed IMO.

They look nice but I am set in the wedge spots.

In fact they remind me of some other wedge offerings out there more than anything.
This was my first thought. Did NOT expect to see this after so many simplistic releases.

Would have preferred they continue that trend. Now it just feels like they are trying to fit in.

Actually like the look of these. Weird to see Vokey shy away from the traditional layout they had for so long. It's a welcomed changed IMO.
Yeah, they HAD to change eventually. I fully expect there to be a mix of love the change and change hate on this release.

This was my first thought. Did NOT expect to see this after so many simplistic releases.

Would have preferred they continue that trend. Now it just feels like they are trying to fit in.
TOTALLY agree on that last part, to me it feels like a reactionary aesthetic change.

I'll be anxious to see these in-hand. I doubt they will outperform the SM7 for me though to warrant these going into the bag. But I say that all the time & they usually end up in the bag anyway :sneaky:

Yeah, they HAD to change eventually. I fully expect there to be a mix of love the change and change hate on this release.

Basically the same design for 7 iterations was getting tiresome.

These do have a little of the Japan only forged releases that we've seen in the past. A sort of mashup.

These do have a little of the Japan only forged releases that we've seen in the past. A sort of mashup.
Some say tired, but the traditionalists who ONLY try or play Vokey's will yell to get off their lawn. LOL!

That's the part that makes sense.

Just weird timing.

Just weird timing.
It really is, looks reactionary which is odd for them.

@JB have the Vokey sales stayed up or have they wavered any the past year or so?

Some say tired, but the traditionalists who ONLY try or play Vokey's will yell to get off their lawn. LOL!

It's the same people who yell at their screens over every new Scotty release and how their ruining the brand with inserts and mallets haha

Just weird timing.

I agree completely.

I have never really been a vokey guy. I know they are good wedges but have never really been attracted to them for whatever reason. I think these look good.

I’m one who has played and loved previous versions but am not feeling the new look. Not bad but nothing special either.

What's the expected timeline from Tour release to public can test and buy them release?
They usually come out in February or March.

For those that are Titleist fans.

When is the last time the brand had a major change that the fans supported right out of the gate?
Im thinking back to adjustability. Then TS line of drivers. Then T line of irons. Each one panned more than the next out of the gate and yet most seemed to enjoy them after trial.

Im wondering if this ends up being similar.

I like how clean these look but I’m not at all disappointed that I’ve just put a new sm7 in the bag only a month ago.
After seeing the forged vokeys in hand in Japan earlier this year I agree completely when people say these look similar.
As others have said, it will be interesting to see how they’re perceived.

Based on what I’ve read Bob Vokey is really excited about the performance of these wedges. Will be interesting to see feedback once their are out in the hands of amateurs.

From what I've seen so far D grind will be extended to the 54 and 56.

No other changes I've seen for grinds that are the retail style heads. All the T grinds have been stamped with wedgeworks. I haven't seen a Low Bounce K yet. No V grind as well. Will be curious to see what grinds are going to be released through wedgeworks.

For finishes I'm hoping they drop the grey and bring back the oil can. Tour chrome, jet black, and oil can. I'm guessing Raw and Blue will be offered again through Wedgeworks.

Josh (JT) from Titleist talked about these during the 2019 Ultimate Club Testing with Titleist T Series Irons event. He said these wedges will be amazing.

I have Vokey Raw Hand Ground SM7 in 56 and 60. The reason being is that I believe the retail SM7 has a bulky profile at address. The hand ground have the Tour Profile where they give the wedge a slimmer look and thinner topline, which I find much more pleasing (I am a Boomer so I believe amazing is overstating and overused ... OK).

I think that unless they've changed from 8620 to something else and given it a slimmer tour profile, these will be an evolution with some added lofts to current grinds, let's say the D Grind in a SW. The SM7, in hand ground, is more pleasing to look at, and they perform well and feel is fine for 8620. 'Amazing'seems a little over the top. I don't care about the back of the wedge so much - the current SM7 is simple and classy - I like it.

Last edited:
Back