Titleist Vokey SM8 Wedges

I'm very interested to hear what you think about the 58 LBK.
It's such a new grind and there little to no reviews on it.
LBK has been a grind in Vokey lineup for while. It was part of the standard lineup for SM2. It then went to TVD and then Wedgeworks after that.

Its name is very apt. It is a low bounce version of the k grind. It works well with square faced chipping and can be opened up a little. The main downside to it is it doesn't have quite the versatility of a wedge with relief and doesn't have quite the same forgiveness of the high bounce wide sole.

I have been working hard on my around the green chips learning different ways to make sure I am on the green and not leaving them short. The SM8 60/D is just such a good combo for this part of the game. The bite you get off of the grooves just makes me laugh a bit when I watch them check up! All of these balls were from different distances around the green to the closest pin in the pic!
chips.jpg

Some pretty good shots there. I still prefer to do most of my chipping/pitching with the 54* but the 58* has been great out of the bunker or when needed to flop to a tucked pin.

Some pretty good shots there. I still prefer to do most of my chipping/pitching with the 54* but the 58* has been great out of the bunker or when needed to flop to a tucked pin.

I still am learning on the distances. Out of a greenside bunker the 60 is my club. I have started messing with the 56 form around the green also a bit.

I have been working hard on my around the green chips learning different ways to make sure I am on the green and not leaving them short. The SM8 60/D is just such a good combo for this part of the game. The bite you get off of the grooves just makes me laugh a bit when I watch them check up! All of these balls were from different distances around the green to the closest pin in the pic!
View attachment 8975009
Well done. I like to use my 50* alot around the green and get those low bump and runs but can also get some height with it. Keep working on it and you will have everything within 3 feet (which most of those look to be) all the time.

Well done. I like to use my 50* alot around the green and get those low bump and runs but can also get some height with it. Keep working on it and you will have everything within 3 feet (which most of those look to be) all the time.

I need to get not get so hung up on just using one wedge and try with my others. None of those were more than 10 yards off the green but very happy with the result!

Looks like I should have my 50* in hand next week. Pretty excited to finish off the collection.

Today was our league championship and the SM8s did not disappoint me. I shot a 76 for the win. a Huge bunker par save on a the 15th par 3 with my 60/D! I had to scramble on some holes today and the SM8s put me in good position for 7—1 putts. These wedges have changed my game and confidence.
1B911AEB-17B1-4139-9365-397DBC9C0AEA.jpeg

Today was our league championship and the SM8s did not disappoint me. I shot a 76 for the win. a Huge bunker par save on a the 15th par 3 with my 60/D! I had to scramble on some holes today and the SM8s put me in good position for 7—1 putts. These wedges have changed my game and confidence.
View attachment 8975248

I love it man. You've had quite string of success with these in the bag.

I love it man. You've had quite string of success with these in the bag.
Thank you and you are correct had I not been picked for the Vokey event I might never have tried them! My whole bag has been changed out and it started with these awesome wedges! Heading back out at noon for another round.

I have a question for those of you who have come to the SM8 from another brand as I did. Do you find that the club face appears to be more "open" than your previous wedges? I cannot for the life of me get comfortable to the appearance of my SM8s when compared to my RTX4s.

Now to be fair, I went from a 50 and 56 mid bounce in the RTX4s to 50F, 54D and 58D in the SM8s. Honestly every time I set the SM8 behind the ball I swear I am going to hit it straight up in the air and way out to the left (I am LH) I just can't get comfortable that I'm going to be able to catch the ball first before the turf. They felt great while I was hitting them during the fitting, but once I got them in my hands I just haven't felt the same confidence.

I have a question for those of you who have come to the SM8 from another brand as I did. Do you find that the club face appears to be more "open" than your previous wedges? I cannot for the life of me get comfortable to the appearance of my SM8s when compared to my RTX4s.

So full disclosure, this definitely made me go get about 6 wedges and spend a few minutes to see what you meant. And I gotta say, ... no. I don't find that. Lol I'm trying to figure how it would look like that to you. Gotta be something with the larger shape, toe curve, heel height, and bottom groove differences. They definitely look different. When I switched from RTX4's these just looked big to me. I don't get the open thing though. I have a bit of an open wedge face at address though, so that could change it i suppose. Have you actually been launching them high left at all, or just worry about it? The thought alone would makes me pretty uncomfortable over the ball and I'd have no issues switching just to not have that in my head.

Last edited:
Let the waiting game begin. These wedges felt fantastic at my fitting!!! Can’t wait to get my hated and dated bargain bin wedges out of the bag.

Let the waiting game begin. These wedges felt fantastic at my fitting!!! Can’t wait to get my hated and dated bargain bin wedges out of the bag.
Which lofts and grinds did you go with?

So full disclosure, this definitely made me go get about 6 wedges and spend a few minutes to see what you meant. And I gotta say, ... no. I don't find that. Lol I'm trying to figure how it would look like that to you. Gotta be something with the larger shape, toe curve, heel height, and bottom groove differences. They definitely look different. When I switched from RTX4's these just looked big to me. I don't get the open thing though. I have a bit of an open wedge face at address though, so that could change it i suppose. Have you actually been launching them high left at all, or just worry about it? The thought alone would makes me pretty uncomfortable over the ball and I'd have no issues switching just to not have that in my head.
Mostly just worried about it. I looked at them some more last night before putting them away and I think you might be correct that the toe curve is likely making them look a little larger and therefore higher lofted. I don't know how successful I will be, but I will try to take some pictures tonight when I get home. At the end of the day, however it's probably just something in my head.

tomorrow. My SM8 family gets completed. I CANNOT WAIT

I picked up a new F today to play with my P7MC's and and maybe my ZX7's, but as much as I love Vokey's, a Zipcore mid might be a better match for the 7's.

Anyone know why they don't make a 50/10 F now? Only have 46 and 48. 8 to 12 seems like a big jump, so I always ending up getting a 52/12 and bending it strong.

I picked up a new F today to play with my P7MC's and and maybe my ZX7's, but as much as I love Vokey's, a Zipcore mid might be a better match for the 7's.

Anyone know why they don't make a 50/10 F now? Only have 46 and 48. 8 to 12 seems like a big jump, so I always ending up getting a 52/12 and bending it strong.

I was originally thinking 50.08.F but after a couple of Youtube videos of Bob Vokey discussing the 50.12.F I was convinced to give them a try and I'm sure glad I did. Basically he said that the 12* bounce will cut through the turf easier which will launch the ball further, lower the trajectory of the ball flight, and produce more spin. Bob handed the golfer the 50.12.F wedge and instantly there was a gain of 2,000 rpm spin on his pitch shots into the green.

Now I play all of my wedges will plenty of bounce and my wedge play has been taken to the next level. If I'm on a tight lie I'll take my 60.12.D and just open it up a little... the heel relief does its magic. :) Previously I never used high bounce wedges because I never considered myself having a steep attack or do I take big divots. Bob alway said that "bounce is your friend" and he wasn't kidding.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Why hello there....

5e4579ef6b1e7b3c1774297e63e6a94f.jpg

So a funny thing happened when I went to photograph my SM8 vs. my RTX4 to elaborate on my previous post about how I found the Vokeys to look way lofted and open - to the naked eye I swore the Vokey looked larger (which the tape measure confirmed at 3/16") but to the camera the RTX4 looks larger.
20201124_211000.jpg
Vokey on right, RTX4 on left.

Clearly I can't justify my original claims with photo evidence, so maybe it's just between my ears. Regardless it will be March before I can use either club in the wild, so only time will tell.

*edit* I believe part of the visual discrepancy is due to the difference in the finish between the two wedges; the RTX4 are darker metal therefore look different than the SM8s.

Last edited:
Curious if anyone thinks the wedges do not spin very much? Played my second round with them and I am not getting much to any spin on them.

So a funny thing happened when I went to photograph my SM8 vs. my RTX4 to elaborate on my previous post about how I found the Vokeys to look way lofted and open - to the naked eye I swore the Vokey looked larger (which the tape measure confirmed at 3/16") but to the camera the RTX4 looks larger.
View attachment 8977160
Vokey on right, RTX4 on left.

Clearly I can't justify my original claims with photo evidence, so maybe it's just between my ears. Regardless it will be March before I can use either club in the wild, so only time will tell.

*edit* I believe part of the visual discrepancy is due to the difference in the finish between the two wedges; the RTX4 are darker metal therefore look different than the SM8s.
Just looking at your picture, the Vokey looks to have a more rounded top line and more offset.

Is this the case with the two irons. I like The offset if there.

Back