Titleist Vokey SM8 Wedges

Curious if anyone thinks the wedges do not spin very much? Played my second round with them and I am not getting much to any spin on them.
Mine are spinning just fine.
Where are you not seeing the spin that you were expecting... around the greens, approach shots ???
Which ball are you using ???

Curious if anyone thinks the wedges do not spin very much? Played my second round with them and I am not getting much to any spin on them.

During my fitting they were not spinning a ton. Good spin, but nothing crazy. Made some tweaks to the setup, including lengthening the shaft, and then the spin numbers jumped pretty darn good.

On the course, hard for me to really say. My limited rounds with them have come late in the season, greens are super soft, it's cold, and my game is not sharp. But what I would say, is that fresh grooves help, and they have had enough controllable spin that helped me see some good results (again in the limited rounds since adding them).

I don't expect a lack of spin to be an issue.

I am getting plenty of spin off mine. Sometimes too Much on a short chip up and it stops the ball cold.

Mine are spinning just fine.
Where are you not seeing the spin that you were expecting... around the greens, approach shots ???
Which ball are you using ???

Playing Prov1X's, mostly around the greens. Switching from Callaway MacDaddy wedges that I was used to seeing spin a lot.

I am really getting used to my 54*14. The 54 is my most important wedge around the green. I have never had a club with this much bounce so I am.still getting used to the bounce. I am finding it really makes hitting out of rough and sand much easier, but I really have to focus on tight lies to not skull the ball. I used to have a low bounce wedge which was the exact opposite. Easy to hit off of tight lies, but in rough and sand I had to be really careful to not chunk the ball.

I'm seeing more spin than ever with the SM8s.
These are on my short list.......what kind of spin are we talking here and on what kinds of shots?

Playing Prov1X's, mostly around the greens. Switching from Callaway MacDaddy wedges that I was used to seeing spin a lot.
Have you tried switching balls to see if it makes a difference.

These are on my short list.......what kind of spin are we talking here and on what kinds of shots?
I don't remember the numbers, but it is something like 400-600 more rpm. I should have a real number by the weekend. Visiting trackman Friday evening.

The most noticeable spin has been on greenside shots and anything within 20-30 yards. I typically have trouble from those areas.

My 54S has turned into one of the most versatile wedges, allowing me to play several different style shots with some serious spin.

Thats just me though, and my anomaly of a golf game.

You are using a high quality ball so that's not the problem and if you were loosing spin on your approach shots it could be because the MacDaddy wedges had more bounce that your Vokey wedges. I'm at a loss to your loss of spin. :confused:

My wedges are in! Now I just need to find time on a Saturday to make the 3 hour round trip to pick them up...

I've played ProV1 and ProV1x's with these and they are creating a ton of spin. I played Wednesday and had about a 20 yard bunker shot that I hit with my 54*. I pulled it a little but it came out high. It landed pin high and stopped dead. The next hole I had to flop a 58* over a bunker and it bit and stopped with in a couple feet. Then a couple holes later hit a full 54* and spun it back a ways as you can see from this picture. The mark is there just short of his shadow. I actually didn’t even clean the sand from the grooves as I wanted less spin on that shot as it was into the wind.
151691C7-EF89-4727-8BB2-7552146FC74C.jpeg

I'll add in that I've been leaving cuts on the ball that I have not with previous Vokey wedges.

We shall now call you Shredder

Here’s a couple pics to show it. This was one of the ProV1x’s that Titleist sent us. I think the dark scuff mark came from the bunker shot.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up a beat up wedge in the bargain bin at Roger Dunn today. Black finish and was really beat up. Cleaned it up and gave it a nice polish. Not sure where to go with it yet, but it's almost as good as new.

It'll end up being a backyard banger, so it will rust up like crazy and be lots of fun to knock around. Not bad for $69

PXL_20201206_014400887.jpg

boy is that thing polished! Looks all sorts of clean though

I’ve gotten several rounds in with the SM8 in both the Tour Chrome finish and the Jet Black and have been happy with the spin control. I have a tendency to get too much spin on wedges, so being able to control the amount and hit predictable shots coming into the greens has been better than I got with the SM7. I prefer the look of the Jet Black version with the finish stripped, but it is purely due to the finish, performance is the same.

I’ve said it in here a few times but the D is the M on steroids. More bounce, little less relief on the heel and toe, and freaking deadly from the sand and rough.

How would you compare the d grind to the zipcore mid?

How would you compare the d grind to the zipcore mid?
Man. Tough one. I enjoy both, but the D is more aggressive through interaction if that makes sense.

Back