To be in the 80's.......

lemmiwinks

Mark it 8, Dude.
Reaction score
Handicap
Sorry folks, not the decade :alien:.
My goal this season is to become more consistant and be in the low 90's high 80's by the time fall rolls around.

I've been out of the game for about 8 years. With 2 boys (15 yo and 4yo) there wasn't much time for golf with baseball, football, baby and toddler activities. My oldest didn't really take to golf but the younger one absolutely loves it. I work M-TH so I bring him to the range every Friday. I'm bringing him out to the course for the first time next week.

I've posted 7 rounds thus far this year and they are as follows:
108, 101, 102, 107, 103, 99 and 98.

When I went on hiatus I had had about 4-5 rounds in the 80's so I know it's there. That was after playing for about 2 years and a round of lessons. I seem to have found some of my old mechanics and the scores are reflecting that.

My main problem is getting of the tee. It costs me at least 5-6 per round in either penalty strokes or just having to punch out. My iron play is really coming around and my short game actually saves my scores. Once I'm within 75 yds I'm more than confident I can get down in 3 from there. Through 7 rounds I average 1.93 putts per hole so that is another one of my strong suits.

I just wanna say this site is great and I'm glad I found it. Any tips or suggestion are more than appreciated and I'll probably update after each range session/round played.

I could have started a thread with the same title and been talking about the temperatures!

Since you've only played 7 rounds this year, the big thing is just to give it time as it seems things are coming around. Perhaps focus on your driver at the range and get some confidence with it.
Also, while the R580 is a classic driver, you might find some extra forgiveness in upgrading to something newer. Quite a few top drivers from the past couple of years can be found relatively cheap!
Best of luck!

I came back to playing after 25 years. I started with my first round back shooting 102. I then played another 5 or 6 rounds until the weather got cold, shooting somewhere between 90-100. I went back out in March and have dropped down to where now most of my rounds are in the mid 80's (84-87). The biggest difference was my short game. Have chips and bump and runs that stay on the green rather than skulling over off the green has made a world of difference. What i'm telling you is that with just a little effort and concentration you can easily get to where you want to be..............

Also, while the R580 is a classic driver, you might find some extra forgiveness in upgrading to something newer. Quite a few top drivers from the past couple of years can be found relatively cheap!
Best of luck!

I gotta wait till Fathers Day since the only things I asked for were a new bag (Ogio Sultan), a new driver (TM SuperFast 1.0) and/or gift cards to Golf Galaxy.

I'm actually in the same boat as you. I shoot in the low 90's high 80's right now, but if my tee shots and long game were better, I think I could be consistently in the low-mid 80's. I'm actually thinking about dedicating a day at the range to just practice with my longer clubs instead of going through the bag every time.

For all the saying its a good short game that dictates how low you go,its a poor long game thats decides how high you score.
I usually shoot in the 80's and its when my long game is off that I score in the high 80's low 90's. Try working on your driver at the range and maybe as he guys suggested upgrade to a newer model.

For all the saying its a good short game that dictates how low you go,its a poor long game thats decides how high you score.
I usually shoot in the 80's and its when my long game is off that I score in the high 80's low 90's. Try working on your driver at the range and maybe as he guys suggested upgrade to a newer model.

Inside 100 and putting dictates what you score, which equates to how well you play the game. I hit driver maybe 2-3 times when I'm at the range and less on the course usually. I think a lot of people would be very surprised at their scores if they took driver and any wedges above 56* out of their bags for a few rounds.

But from what I've read in this thread I would suggest holstering the driver off the tee on every hole. If you're confident in your iron play, short game, and putting. Then all you have to worry about off the tee is putting it in the fairway with an iron or hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I meant is a good short game will make you score well,but that is of no use if your 50 yards in the rough or trees off the tee.A good long game and being able to hit the fairway along with an average short game should see you in the 80's.Use whatever gets you on the fairway be it driver/3 wood/hybrid or long iron.A great short game can't help you hack it out of the rough/trees,but it will help you score around the green and if your on the fairway then all the better.

I had the same long game problem, getting to the greens in 2 or 3 strokes. A couple of weeks ago I got fitted for a driver and 5 wood. After trying several brands at the driving range and on the launch monitor the recommendation was Ping K15's. My first round out I broke 100, second round I broke 90 with an 88. It was the best round of my life! Hope I can do it again!

Just for back from a pretty productive range session.
Took the two ball per club approach to really help me concentrate on each shot.

Got to my driver and hit about 15 in a row. I'm starting to get the feeling it's all about my posture when it comes to driving. When I take my time and set up properly, I tend to hit an average to good drive. When I'm lazy, it's bad.
After that I played holes in my head. I'd pick a hole yardage, hit a drive and guestimate what type of shot I'd need for a 2nd. Did about 4 of those. Meanwhile my 4 year old is in the bay next to me with his Jr Driver and was getting it out there about 20-25 yds when he made good contact, which was about 1 in 6-8.

Went over to the chipping green. I like where my pitching and chipping is but I would like to get some height in chips to get it to stop quicker if short side myself. Instead of trying to learn a flop shot at this point in my game, I simply opened my stance, opened the club face, and took my normal chipping swing motion. By the 5th or 6th I was getting the hang of it. I think that's a shot that'll help me out if I can take it to the course with me.

Playing a round on Sunday afternoon.

To me, getting into the 80's wasn't too tough. But for others, it takes a while. I think the easiest way to shave strokes off is in the short game. If you hit every fairway and every green in regulation w/ 2 putts per hole, you'd shoot even par. If that was the case, on a par 72, you'd have 36 putts. That's exactly half of your strokes right there. That's not taking into account if you had any lob-wedge or sand-wedge shots into the greens.

I just went thru my last round, I shot 89. (Not good for me.) With just counting putting and chipping/pitching/sand play, I lost 10 total shots! With my Driver, I only lost 6 stokes (balls into the trees or water). If I had to work on things and had to only pick one area of my game to "completely cure"...would I choose to shoot 79, or 83?

To me, and in most cases, the short game is where the scoring happens and people can drop their handicaps dramatically.

And OP, topic should have been on the 80's decade...:)

For me it was just a matter of smarter play and playing from the green-back. Struggling with GIR mainly due to errant tee shots, when I first was trying to break 90 I stopped pulling driver all the time. 330-420, no need to take driver unless your dead on with it. For me, taking 3-wood or even irons for the shorter par 4's helped me hit GIR. On the tee box I always took a club that would get me to 160-100 yds. It's a lot easier to hit the green with a 7iron or less from the fair way than it is something longer from the rough or worse.
I also avoided fair way woods for second shots on long par 5's. Driver, 7iron, PW and 1 or 2 putts is always better than the 250 yd 2wood when 3 wood wasn't getting me on in 2 anyway. Now that my bad rounds are around 85-87 I take a little for risks but the above helped get me to where I am.

1. Reduce Hip sway on the backswing (feel that torque build in the back hip and groin)
2. Work to keep spine angle the same (really work on the downswing and finish, it's tough for me to maintain here)
3. Hold your finish for 8 seconds (or until ball lands) especially for your good shots

Those 3 things are my "keys" for consistency, which is what you probably need most right now

Shot a 99 today.
I'm finding that the most difficult aspect for me is getting more than one part of my game going for a few holes. I think that would help bring my score down.
For example, on a few par 4's today I actually drove it very nicely. In the fairway or in the first cut. Get my 2nd shot off the green in the rough. I start trying to play shots I shouldn't. The chip I referenced in a prior post I tried to bring to the course (how else do learn though). I duffed that shot 4x today and then two putted all of them for 6's. Add a triple on a par 3 and there's a few strokes that I could easily eliminate.
All in all, not a horrible round but I really feel like it could've been better.

Went out this morning and brought my 4 year old son to the course for the first time.
Let him tee off a couple times then just pretty much let him hit from 50 yards to the hole.

I think he's my lucky charm cause I shot a 90.
Driving is still killing me. If I could drive it straight, I'd have shot an 85.
My iron play was awesome today. I also putted pretty well with only 32 for the day.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to take a lesson or two for my driver.
It's losing me a bunch of strokes.

I get home and I'm complaining about my driving, my wife is having a bunch of her friends over tonight and she says to me "theres some soda in my trunk can you get it for me."

I open the trunk and BOOM there's my fathers day present, a brand new Bag Boy XLT-15 with a SuperFast 1.0 in it.
She's awesome. She then says "you better get that driver worked out".
Now I want to go play tomorrow but I better not since it's our anniversary :lol:

I feel ya man. Driving always kills me. Have you thought about just having a driver lesson? I used to never practice with my driver , but it was costing me strokes. Once I got it under a little more control, I was in the 80's all the time. Now it is keeping me from being in the 70's. Your game sounds a lot like mine.

This post os TapaTalk serious (so dnt blame me fir misspelled wirds).

I feel ya man. Driving always kills me. Have you thought about just having a driver lesson? I used to never practice with my driver , but it was costing me strokes. Once I got it under a little more control, I was in the 80's all the time. Now it is keeping me from being in the 70's. Your game sounds a lot like mine.

This post os TapaTalk serious (so dnt blame me fir misspelled wirds).

I'm definitely leaning towards it at this point.
Golf Galaxy has a package of 3 1/2 hour lessons for $129, so I might do that and see if it helps.
Somethings got to give at this point with that club (although I haven't hit the new one yet).

I hope to be shooting in the mid to high 80s most rounds by the end of the summer. I've shot two 91's, a 92, two 94's and a 106 this year, so I feel like I am close. I've only had three rounds in the 80s ever.

FYI, there are a couple threads around that may interest you: Breaking 100 and Breaking 90. They are pretty popular.

Sorry folks, not the decade :alien:.
My goal this season is to become more consistant and be in the low 90's high 80's by the time fall rolls around.

I've been out of the game for about 8 years. With 2 boys (15 yo and 4yo) there wasn't much time for golf with baseball, football, baby and toddler activities. My oldest didn't really take to golf but the younger one absolutely loves it. I work M-TH so I bring him to the range every Friday. I'm bringing him out to the course for the first time next week.

I've posted 7 rounds thus far this year and they are as follows:
108, 101, 102, 107, 103, 99 and 98.

When I went on hiatus I had had about 4-5 rounds in the 80's so I know it's there. That was after playing for about 2 years and a round of lessons. I seem to have found some of my old mechanics and the scores are reflecting that.

My main problem is getting of the tee. It costs me at least 5-6 per round in either penalty strokes or just having to punch out. My iron play is really coming around and my short game actually saves my scores. Once I'm within 75 yds I'm more than confident I can get down in 3 from there. Through 7 rounds I average 1.93 putts per hole so that is another one of my strong suits.

I just wanna say this site is great and I'm glad I found it. Any tips or suggestion are more than appreciated and I'll probably update after each range session/round played.

man sounds like my story except I have no short game either, all I do is scramble...but hopefully things turn around for me, as they will for you!

I have a challenge for you. Go play a round, and lay up to every green that you have a shot outside of 140, not including par 3s. Youll be astounded at the results.

I have a challenge for you. Go play a round, and lay up to every green that you have a shot outside of 140, not including par 3s. Youll be astounded at the results.

By lay up, do you mean to a certain yardage from the green like 50 yds or just up to around the green.
I'll give you my round about irons stats:

60° - 75-80 yds
56° - 90-100 yds
PW - 100-125 yds (more comfortable with a knock down PW from 100 than the 56°
9i - 125-135yds
8i - 140-150 yds
7i - 150 - 160 yds
6i - 160 - 170 yds
5i - dont really hit it
4h - 180-190 yds
3h - to about 200 yds

Couple of ho hum rounds this weekend.
Shot a 100 at a fairly tough course on Saturday.
Many forced carries off the tee over junk, etc. It's the defense as it's a pretty short course from the whites (one up from the tips) at about 5900yds.
My driver actually was working (first round with the new SF) but my iron play was inconsistent at best.
My best shot probably came on the Par 3 8th. 197yds and hit a 5i to about 15 ft. Missed the putt on the high side but tapped in for par.

Sunday, played at the same course I shot 90 at last week.
Took my son again and my buddy that I normally play with.
I'm friends with the guy in the Pro Shop so he put us out for nothing (slipped him $20 and bought him a beer :drinks:)
Since my 4 year old was with us, it was more of a laid back round. Shot a 45 on the back 9 (went off the 10th cause there was a 4 group wait on 1).
Ended up taking off after we finished 2 holes on the front.
It was late in the day and was starting to lose the little one.
Last shot of the day was the Par 3 2nd (my 11th). 147yd to the pin - hit an 8i 25 ft passed the flag. 2 putt par.

Back