To Sign Or Not To Sign

GregDan

#DreamTeam
Reaction score
Handicap
So an interesting scenario happened to me last night and I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks.

so in the league I play in, twice a year we have a "fun night" and scramble teams are made up based on handicap in the league and you must use one drive from each player at least once.

so here's the scenario : There is a long drive competition and you hit the fairway way beyond the previous spot, but you still haven't used everyone's drive so the team decides to take another players drive to use that is further back and in the rough.

Do you sign the flag, pick your ball up and head back to the other drive? why or why not?

I was not the one to sign the flag and pick my ball up as I was playing for the championship, which me and my partner won, but another gentleman was the one to do it.

Just curious to know what everyone thinks and why.

So an interesting scenario happened to me last night and I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks.

so in the league I play in, twice a year we have a "fun night" and scramble teams are made up based on handicap in the league and you must use one drive from each player at least once.

so here's the scenario : There is a long drive competition and you hit the fairway way beyond the previous spot, but you still haven't used everyone's drive so the team decides to take another players drive to use that is further back and in the rough.

Do you sign the flag, pick your ball up and head back to the other drive? why or why not?

I was not the one to sign the flag and pick my ball up as I was playing for the championship, which me and my partner won, but another gentleman was the one to do it.

Just curious to know what everyone thinks and why.

I think the contest is there for the longest drive, regardless if your team uses it or not, I would sign the flag without thinking about it

I agree, although they didn't use it, someone still hit the ball further than the last. He still drove the ball off the tee

Long drive is long drive IMO, I would say write down the name of the long driver and then continue play for the other persons drive. Nothing says you must use the drive for it to count.

Completely agree - stick that sign in proudly and keep playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agree as well, whether you use it or not really shouldn't matter. As long as it was your first drive off the tee, I say count it.

I don't see a y problems with it, the rules didn't say the long drive had to be from the drive chosen for use on that hole.

Agree with the others. No issue at all about putting the name on and using another ball.

unless the rules state the ball has to be used then yeah id sign

Sometimes you'll see a shortest driver prize with the stipulation that it was the shortest drive used; I haven't ever seen that on a long drive prize, so I think you're fine to sign, and I wouldn't have a problem being beat by that. Now people who claim the longest putt from off the green irritate me, but that's a whole other thread.

I am going with the consensus here, I'd sign and hope I like the prize.

I think the contest is there for the longest drive, regardless if your team uses it or not, I would sign the flag without thinking about it

Agree 100% with this

Concur with others, mark it/sign it, and then go back to the ball which you're required to play.

Yeah as long as that ball was in the fairway and was further than what was out there I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be signed.

Sign the flag and move on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

interesting. seems I am the only one on the other side. I really could care less but to me I feel if you pick up your ball you are essentially you never got that shot and instead hit a better shot.

I find it a little contradictory that you can pick up the bad ones and forget about it but get to pick up the good ones and it still counts.

I just feel if you are going to do it for the bad you may have to do it for the good. I also understand is a bit of a different situation than normal as well.

interesting. seems I am the only one on the other side. I really could care less but to me I feel if you pick up your ball you are essentially you never got that shot and instead hit a better shot.

I find it a little contradictory that you can pick up the bad ones and forget about it but get to pick up the good ones and it still counts.

I just feel if you are going to do it for the bad you may have to do it for the good. I also understand is a bit of a different situation than normal as well.

I view the long drive contest as a separate "contest" from the format that you were required to play.

If not, the mark should be for the "longest drive that was used" not just longest drive....

Mark it and pick it up. If you didn't have to use one of each person's drives it would be a non issue. It would honestly probably irritate me just a smidgen if I was that guy and they didn't let me mark it.

I view the long drive contest as a separate "contest" from the format that you were required to play.

If not, the mark should be for the "longest drive that was used" not just longest drive....
This..

And what if you hit the longest drive in the fairway, but your buddy the super long but wayward stick hits his 30 yards further but barely in the rough? Sign that flag and play your buddy's ball!

I get what you are saying, and there's nothing wrong with that. maybe I'm just looking at it from a wrong angle.

I'm certainly not upset they signed it, it was a $5 prize, I guess I'm just coming from the golf side of it and not the contest side of things.

And what if you hit the longest drive in the fairway, but your buddy the super long but wayward stick hits his 30 yards further but barely in the rough? Sign that flag and play your buddy's ball!
Great point

Sign and drive...not a conflict with any rules of play as it is a different aspect to the hole contest.

Sign away

Yup sign it, long drive is a separate contest for all to play.

Back