BuffaloPlunger

2024 GolfTEC Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Taking an NC golf trip and I have Tobacco Road planned for Friday morning. I couldn’t be more excited! I’ll also be playing Mid Pines and Heritage Club but TR is definitely what I’m looking forward to the most. Anyone have any advice?

Aim more left than you think off the first tee. And use a yardage book (or Arccos) if possible
Good to know! If I hit 50% fairways I’ll consider that success haha

Jealous! No advice from me except have an absolute blast!

Tobacco Road and Mid Pines. Ugh. The jealousy I have right now is unreal. Was supposed to do Tobacco Rd in April but that got postponed another year. Enjoy it!

Don't pick the tees by yardage alone because it's deceptively long. (many up hill holes)

Hopefully you also play with someone who has played there before to give you guidance on a few of the holes and most of the green complexes.

Have fun

Fun track, blind shots, having some course knowledge would help alot!

If you are alone lots of blind shots. Definitely get a yardage book. It is a cool piece of land but I think I am alone in that I don't love it as a golf course. I would rather play Mid Pines every day which is more of a classic golf course.

I am jealous you will be playing golf in warm weather. Have fun.

Tobacco Road has an app that will have GPS distances on there and layout of the hole if you don't have something like that already. Have fun and enjoy it. It's one of my favorites.

LOVE tobacco Road. Love it.

Don't be intimidated by the tee shots. You have plenty of room out there.
Stay out of the sand on 11. You can ask @PackersGirl what happens if you don't 🤣
My favorite course!!! So.....just stay left on #11...the pit of despair as I call it, is a doozy!!! But, it ended up being one of my favorite holes on the course. Enjoy...I'm super jealous!
@Davidhibler ......what are we doing next week????? Day trip????? 😁

Don't pick the tees by yardage alone because it's deceptively long. (many up hill holes)

Hopefully you also play with someone who has played there before to give you guidance on a few of the holes and most of the green complexes.

Have fun
Definitely plan on playing from the tips. My philosophy is that when playing a course for the first time I want all the pain it brings me😂

Have fun

I thought it was fine from the back. Just saying.

Taking an NC golf trip and I have Tobacco Road planned for Friday morning. I couldn’t be more excited! I’ll also be playing Mid Pines and Heritage Club but TR is definitely what I’m looking forward to the most. Anyone have any advice?
So TB is one of those courses that the anticipation builds and has you contemplating your experience long after you’ve gone. I still find myself pondering “is it good, is it great or do I hate it?” They say Mike Stranz deceives the golfer by giving the perception of having a tiny window to place the ball but in reality there is a ton of room to slap it out there. This was very true throughout the round. Especially so on 1 and 18 (two of my least favorite holes). Advice? Just enjoy the challenge and don’t have score expectations. Its unique and crazy and I can’t wait to play it again and see if I can answer my own questions.

So TB is one of those courses that the anticipation builds and has you contemplating your experience long after you’ve gone. I still find myself pondering “is it good, is it great or do I hate it?” They say Mike Stranz deceives the golfer by giving the perception of having a tiny window to place the ball but in reality there is a ton of room to slap it out there. This was very true throughout the round. Especially so on 1 and 18 (two of my least favorite holes). Advice? Just enjoy the challenge and don’t have score expectations. Its unique and crazy and I can’t wait to play it again and see if I can answer my own questions.
Going to try and keep my expectations low. My goal is to keep it under 100 all 3 rounds

Haha this sums it up well. It’s a course I love. But only once a year, tops.

if @MONTANTK hits his 6i 210+ he will be fine from the back.
Haha I wish. More like a 4i. I went through the yardages on the website and didn’t really see myself hitting approach shots with anything more than a 7 in most cases. Most seemed like they would fall between AW and 8i

no OB on property, you can drive in the bunkers, greens that roll like crazy and one of craziest par 5s i've every played before. YOu're going to love it out there.

Ill be there in June! Just booked my tee time. Playing 5 courses in 4 days:

Wednesday - Tobacco Road
Thursday - #2
Friday - Forest Creek South and North
Saturday - #4

Let me know if you want me to send you some ideas on where to eat and what not - I did a ton of research on this.

Sounds like your standard Mike Strantz course. High handicaps love it because it's wide open off the tee. Low's hate it because they think they should overpower it, and they just get punished severely. I think if you go in with the mindset of just enjoy what's in front of you, and know that safe par and good bogey is a good score, a person can appreciate Strantz's courses more.

Ill be there in June! Just booked my tee time. Playing 5 courses in 4 days:

Wednesday - Tobacco Road
Thursday - #2
Friday - Forest Creek South and North
Saturday - #4

Let me know if you want me to send you some ideas on where to eat and what not - I did a ton of research on this.
I did as well but I’d love to see your list! I was looking at an Irish pub in Pinehurst Village and then a BBQ place in Raleigh

Back