Played it a few years ago and it is definitely different.Like some have said ,on a lot of holes you get an appearance of things being tight in landing areas,but you really have lots of room most of the time. It is a fun course and much better than Tot Hill Farm,another Strantz designed course.

Played it a few years ago and it is definitely different.Like some have said ,on a lot of holes you get an appearance of things being tight in landing areas,but you really have lots of room most of the time. It is a fun course and much better than Tot Hill Farm,another Strantz designed course.

Hows Rocky River doing these days?

Most people(low cappers) don't like the place first time out because it will beat you up. Play it a second time and it is much more enjoyable.
Don't know where your staying but on Midland Rd where Mid Pines is go the opposite way to Southern Pines instead of Pinehurst and there are a ton of good places to eat. Been going there for a lot of years.

Most people(low cappers) don't like the place first time out because it will beat you up. Play it a second time and it is much more enjoyable.
Don't know where your staying but on Midland Rd where Mid Pines is go the opposite way to Southern Pines instead of Pinehurst and there are a ton of good places to eat. Been going there for a lot of years.
I loved Tobacco Road! Mid pines was just as good but I didn’t play well that day. I ended up eating at drum and quill which was very good

I enjoy Mike Strantz courses. You will either love or hate Tobacco Road. I really found it a very fun course to play. make sure you get a yardage book in the shop and choose your lines off the tee carefully. If you choose the correct lines and distances off the tee the landing areas are generous.

Late to the party, but love Mid Pines after the redesign a few years ago. Reminds me a lot of #2.

For food, make sure to check out Pinehurst Brewery. Recommend the brisket burger. Also have to head into the actual downtown of old Southern Pines. Great little area, So Pies for pizza is top notch.

Tobacco Road is definitely a bucket list course for me! Take lots of pics!!

I played TR yesterday on our golf trip. It was my second time on the course. I have been pretty vocal that I didn’t like TR after my first experience. I feel a little better about it but I still don’t love it. I played well so it wasn’t that I played poorly I just feel like there are some really goofy shots.

I played TR yesterday on our golf trip. It was my second time on the course. I have been pretty vocal that I didn’t like TR after my first experience. I feel a little better about it but I still don’t love it. I played well so it wasn’t that I played poorly I just feel like there are some really goofy shots.
Greens like the 7th are really difficult, I get it though. It’s hard to attack when you feel you should be given the yardage etc

LOVE Mid Pines. HATE Tobacco Road. Have fun regardless.

LOVE Mid Pines. HATE Tobacco Road. Have fun regardless.

I agree with you. I don’t hate TR anymore but we played Southern Pines today and it was unreal. I would play that everyday over TR.

I’ve heard that the new Southern Pines is amazing. Would love to play some time.

Most unique course I’ve ever played. I’ll play it again some day and I’d recommend it for a unique experiment higher than playing #2

Most unique course I’ve ever played. I’ll play it again some day and I’d recommend it for a unique experiment higher than playing #2

I think you are so wrong. I would play Southern Pines, Mid Pines and Pine Needles before I played Tobacco Road again never mind #2. TR is unique and goofy. I believe that Strantz did a great job with the design but it isn’t in the same league as #2.

I think you are so wrong. I would play Southern Pines, Mid Pines and Pine Needles before I played Tobacco Road again never mind #2. TR is unique and goofy. I believe that Strantz did a great job with the design but it isn’t in the same league as #2.
Did you not play particular well due to some squirrely bounces or what?

Did you not play particular well due to some squirrely bounces or what?

I shot 76 at Tobacco Road on Friday from the 6300 yard tees. For me the course is fun to play once or twice but I don’t think it is a great golf course. I think there are other much better courses in the area.

I shot 76 at Tobacco Road on Friday from the 6300 yard tees. For me the course is fun to play once or twice but I don’t think it is a great golf course. I think there are other much better courses in the area.
It’s a mental grind, I’ll give it that. After getting abused by anything Donald Ross built, TR is a nice change from getting punched in the mouth. Instead, you get kicked in the marbles.

I’m not a TR homer but it gets better every time.

biggest problem are the new fees to play.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, #2, while I am thankful for playing it because of its history didnt do it for me....visually Tobacco Road is head and shoulders above #2..... and if you think otherwise, again that is your opinion... I get #2 has that "natural" look vibe but if I am paying close to $500 I should be hitting out of clubs of grass when off the fairway....

#4 is better than #2 I think and Mid Pines is very close.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, #2, while I am thankful for playing it because of its history didnt do it for me....visually Tobacco Road is head and shoulders above #2..... and if you think otherwise, again that is your opinion... I get #2 has that "natural" look vibe but if I am paying close to $500 I should be hitting out of clubs of grass when off the fairway....

#4 is better than #2 I think and Mid Pines is very close.

4 is better than 2

Hoping to see TR in October

Absolutely love Tobacco Road. I did not play very well the day we played, but it is a course that I will remember the rest of my life!

Back