Today... 9 Years Ago...

But nobody tops Big Ern...

This is a great ESPN 30 for 30 Short on the Legendary Pete Weber...

That documentary took me back. I grew up in Milwaukee, once the epicenter of bowling in America, during the beginning of bowling’s decline in popularity. It was a huge part of my childhood.

A response to some kids heckling him during the match?

Thanks for sharing, I hadn’t seen that.

I used to watch bowling to put me to sleep, 😂

He wore Footjoy gloves for a time, I wonder what the difference is in the Footjoy bowling glove & golf glove?
A guy in our league just uses a golf glove with the finger tips cut off.

A guy in our league just uses a golf glove with the finger tips cut off.

I guess I knew there were bowling leagues, I just never considered anyone actually doing that.

A long time ago my assistant at work was a much better bowler than I was a golfer. Let’s say he was a +6.6 in golf terms. Good, almost great. But probably not winning a major.

He’d take vacations on “money trips” where he knew he’d win enough to make it a better week than he’d have working his 9-5.

Nothing crazy but I’d ask him what he netted and it seemed like it was always 2k-5k more than expenses. He cherry picked where he knew he’d win money, just like I’d try to cherry pick a US Open Qualifier IF I was good enough to even think of that.

I guess I knew there were bowling leagues, I just never considered anyone actually doing that.

It was an incredibly popular activity from the 50’s to the 80’s. Everyone in my family bowled in leagues, or had when they were younger, when I was a kid. Parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles. My mom bowled in five leagues a week at one point. I bowled in a weekly league from age 5-10.

When it peaked in 1980, there were 9 million registered league bowlers in America. It’s been dying a slow death since then.

"Who do you think you are!? I AM!" is one of my favorite lines to say when I'm celebrating. I also just happened to watch this live on TV.

I was a bowler long before I was a golfer, but it was mostly to get drunk and compete for money/drinks once a week in college.

Pete is the man!! Always animated and not shy about anything. Such much fun to watch.

I've seen dudes act just like that on the golf course... and they weren't pros.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I've bowled with him a number of times. He's a really fun guy when he's doing well.

Legend! Sometimes it’s even better when the words don’t come out right.

It's almost like he's speaking in tongues!

Do bowlers wear “golfer” green reading glasses? Maybe they help bowlers read the boards.

I suppose it might help them to see the spots on the lanes. I never wore any special glasses when I bowled.

Why not? Bowling is a game, and games have leagues. I've been a member of several golf leagues where, after the season was done members were looking for people to keep golfing together until weather prevented. There were always a few volunteers, but our numbers were always cut short by those who were getting ready to join bowling leagues. As soon as the golf league season shut down, bowling league season began! They would bowl through the fall and winter, then golf through the spring and summer.

Back