Todd Graves video on Bryson

I'd like to hit it 75% of what Bryson hits it

Looks familiar:

1593745933308.jpeg

ETA - LOL, I was thinking about Bryson when posting the picture of Moe Norman before watching the video.

Last edited:
Interesting.....have a feeling this is going to get talked about even more once he gets to be the top player in the world.

Definitely an interesting discussion and video...and it makes sense. Several years back I used to do unknowingly straighten my left arm/wrist/hand as shown in the video, and drove the ball pretty straight. I say "unknowingly" because it ensured I retained a tall posture and avoided squating/chopping at the ball.

I'll definitely have to make a couple swings at the range with this concept to see what it produces with my driver.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Definitely an interesting discussion and video...and it makes sense. Several years back I used to do unknowingly straighten my left arm/wrist/hand as shown in the video, and drove the ball pretty straight. I say "unknowingly" because it ensured I retained a tall posture and avoided squating/chopping at the ball.

I'll definitely have to make a couple swings at the range with this concept to see what it produces with my driver.

You don’t go to the range remember!! Ha!

You don’t go to the range remember!! Ha!
I said I'll hit wedges at a range -- if I go. I could always hit 5 shots with a driver. Since we are exposing on-course talk, let's talk about that Kirkland ball you fired up to the green today........

No doubt a lot of similarities between the two. Bryson has buffed up and really moved into the faster swing and using most of Moe's technique. I tend to do my driver swing much like Moe and feels good, but not so much my other clubs as they feel strange to me swinging that way. Of course, no where near the accuracy or distance.

Moe was a machine without a doubt. Anyone that can hit balls off a drink bottle and never touch it has some mean dialed in brain mechanics and body mechanisms. Of course hitting 1000-1500 balls a day would either kill you or you would find it.

Moe was once asked about how long he used the same tee and Moe was said to have responded, "'bout 7 years now."

Certainly seems worth toying around with, seems much easier than some of the other "new swings" I've toyed with over the years.

Does anyone know why Jumbo grips are suggested for this swing?

Also, will this swing be bad for the trail knee?

Last edited:
Looks like a bunch of different injuries waiting to happen to me. I don't think the average golfer will be in good enough physical condition to make it work.

I think it will eventually catch up with Bryson as well. I don't care how much he works out, swinging as hard as he does, something is going to snap.

I don't think Grave's instruction is applicable to Brysons swing anymore because he's no longer a 'one-planer' since he became the incredible Hulk .

I don't think Grave's instruction is applicable to Brysons swing anymore because he's no longer a 'one-planer' since he became the incredible Hulk .
What does his bulk have to do with it?
Bryson still plays one length irons correct?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What does his bulk have to do with it?
Bryson still plays one length irons correct?

He's stronger and therefore can create more clubhead speed in the early downswing with his abs and shoulder girdle muscles. Not sure whether he is playing single length irons anymore - why should that matter ? People who aren't one planers can play with single length irons.

Here is Shawn Clement video showing the difference in Bryson's swing . He is crunching his right side more now and shallowing out his swing plane (ie. no longer a one-planer)

practiced with this and see with the lead wrist extended to be on one plane, you need to bend your clubs lie angle to accommodate it. Not worth it.

practiced with this and see with the lead wrist extended to be on one plane, you need to bend your clubs lie angle to accommodate it. Not worth it.
His irons are in the vicinity of 11° upright

So from watching the video, Jose says Bryson plays one length and is still single plane.

I don't see much difference in his swing other than how much power he is now generating.

Seems a lot like Tigger when he bulked up.

Only time will tell if the extra strain causes issues down the road.

My only swing thought is left arm straight. When i do this i make consistent contact.

I love my One Length clubs. Now if i could only swing like Bryson.

So from watching the video, Jose says Bryson plays one length and is still single plane.

I don't see much difference in his swing other than how much power he is now generating.

Seems a lot like Tigger when he bulked up.

Only time will tell if the extra strain causes issues down the road.

My only swing thought is left arm straight. When i do this i make consistent contact.

I love my One Length clubs. Now if i could only swing like Bryson.

Look at where his hands are on these 3 'down the line' photos . If he was swinging on a single plane , his hands would be moving down the same red line but you can easily see that the red line is getting shallower (see how the red line cuts lower against the tree line in the background near his right shoulder area).

image.png

Bryson is swinging really hard with the driver. He will eventually get hurt....just like Tiger.

He's definitely pushing it to the limit but might win some majors with his new swing

Bryson is still single plane. Charting out the path the club takes, looking at the mechanics, still single plane. Yes, his hands are dropping ever so slightly, but that's not a two plane swing by any means.

Last edited:
He is crunching his right side more (lateral flexion) and adducting his right arm with a pitch elbow move . He's also not putting so much weight pressure on his lead leg at the top of his backswing and has stopped swaying his lead hip and knee over his left foot (like before). Basically he's improved his pivot , strengthened his abs and shoulder girdle muscles and quickened his backswing to create more force and torque in the downswing. He's also shallowed his clubs angle of attack so that the driver can hit the ball ascending rather than descending and is getting more height and less backspin (his driver is now 5.5 degrees I think).

I don't find any of Graves theories on the golf swing convincing.

I have his 'The Single Plane Golf Swing' book and its full of strange phrases that are incredibly abstract and makes no rational sense at all (to me anyhow!) . If your going to limit your range of motion to reduce error , you may as well just stand still and not swing the club at all.

Example sentences from the book :
Trail hand is set on the club in a non-rotational position as if you were about to skip a rock across water

The hands are placed so the wrists can work together during the swing motion to move the clubface perfectly

The clubhead (for a driver ) is placed about 5 to 12 inches behind the ball which allows the body to move forward to the impact position from its original starting place at address.

Legs are relatively straight ; this makes it easier to turn into the backswing and allows the spine to tilt forward.

Moe's arms were straight -pointing directly at the ball - This is a natural position for holding a club to hit a golf ball ; it is similar to a child holding a stick that he's going to use to hit a rock on the ground.

His lead hand was neutral and trail hand non-rotational - This allowed for perfect clubface movement and minimal arm rotation.

When the trail knee is bent in the conventional swing, its much more difficult to rotate your upper body. When your legs are straight . your backside is pushed behind you. This allows you to turn more freely. Your butt follows the rotation of your hips, but it does not move laterally.

Last edited:
When they say "two planes" in that video, they're not referring to his swing, they're referring to how one guy is going to talk mechanics and the other is talking fitness.

None of this stuff is new for Bryson, comparing today to 2016 is pointless because even in 2018, he was swinging basically how he is now. He's been going through super low loft/spin driver heads for awhile too. A much more useful thing would be a video comparing his swing now to his swing from summer 2019, but the only difference is really that he's bigger and faster in tempo. The swing mechanics are the same that he's had.

Back