Toe Hang vs. Face Balance - Can YOU tell a difference

I can notice a difference. I have a slight arc, and what I found is that a face balanced I leave putts out to the right. I have tried to compensate and perform a straight back/through motion, but my natural tendency always comes out.
A putter fitting might be something to consider.

I can tell a difference in my putting. I think I putt better with a little toe hang. Face balanced putters tend to have me leaving the putt out to the right.

Yep, the main reason I stayed with my big T vs the odyssey milled 5cs... I assumed face balanced, but the milled has a smidge of toe hang

I can tell a difference between the two. I need toe hang and whenever I venture into a face balance mallet my putting always gets wonky until I go back to a toe hang putter

I don't know what either of those are and can confirm I putt just as mediocre with either.

Definitely feel the difference. Playing a face balanced mallet right now. I have a much more consistent stroke with it. No weird wobbles or misses. Now i just need to align correctly

It makes little difference with my putting stroke, I owned 17 putters last year, 13 of which have now been sold. I tested full TH against face balanced as part of this and it made no discernible difference. The four I have left were my favourites and they’re all different TH.

Last edited:
I can tell the difference in the fact that I putt so much better with a putter with toe hang.

I 100% can tell the difference.

Face Balanced is the worst possible thing for my putting stroke. The more toe hang the better.

Yup, I think it was worded well earlier in the thread. anything facebalanced I have to fight it to keep square.

Wow - old thread refreshed.

I have a slight arc and like slight toe hang.

If you take too much arc, I think you are making problems for yourself. Twice this week I've heard discussions with Els and Cantalay (I think that's right) about them taking too much arc and how they had an instructor or player look at them and tell them - "Hey, less arc please!"

I can putt with face-balanced putters but it's poison with a lot of arc.

From earlier comments - if you are trying to close the face during a putt, Bless Your Heart.

Your putter should remain square to the arc.

Recently swapped a face balanced for a toe hang putter (same putter) and I feel as though I'm making more putts with the toe hang putter (Practice green only). My miss with the face balanced always seemed to be right whereas the toe hang miss has been short (mostly) or a mix of both left and right which I would attribute more to line and speed.
Needless to say, I'm going to stick with the T.H. putter until I can get back on the course and put it in play.

I can tell a difference in my putting. I think I putt better with a little toe hang. Face balanced putters tend to have me leaving the putt out to the right.
Yup, I think it was worded well earlier in the thread. anything facebalanced I have to fight it to keep square.

Unless you are already putting with the ball position near your left foot, how much would the right miss be addressed by moving the ball forward a bit in your stance?

At the Odyssey Experience last year during my fitting, I was asked if what my miss was. When I said right, the Odyssey Jedimasters had me move the ball forward. So, I'm more curious than normal.

Depending on how my stroke is doing I can notice it a bit. Sometimes I like having a mallet that's face balanced to reset my mind before going back to one of my blade putters.

I've used both and have both in my (small) collection - both center shafted and heel shafted face-balanced putters, and a couple toe hangs. I don't notice a huge difference, but I've had my best/most consistent putting ever with my current face-balanced putter (SL Black Ten), so I'm sticking with it.

I notice a big difference between face balanced (yay) and toe hang (nay.) I see a slight improvement when the FB putter is center-shafted.

Unless you are already putting with the ball position near your left foot, how much would the right miss be addressed by moving the ball forward a bit in your stance?

At the Odyssey Experience last year during my fitting, I was asked if what my miss was. When I said right, the Odyssey Jedimasters had me move the ball forward. So, I'm more curious than normal.

Ironically I think my original statement was incorrect. Because I already play the ball more forward toward the left foot a face balanced putter actually causes me to miss LEFT :oops: where the toe hang help keep the face square there.

For my stroke I think moving the ball back with a FB works better but I’m just not comfortable with the ball there. Then again I’m a headcase so I could be completely wrong haha

It depends. On blade style putters I can really feel the difference. If it is a high MOI mallet type putter I sense it much less.

Ironically I think my original statement was incorrect. Because I already play the ball more forward toward the left foot a face balanced putter actually causes me to miss LEFT :oops: where the toe hang help keep the face square there.

For my stroke I think moving the ball back with a FB works better but I’m just not comfortable with the ball there. Then again I’m a headcase so I could be completely wrong haha
Gotcha. That makes sense. Give the deficiencies in my putting over the last month or so, everything is on the table - moving the ball back some, trying a different putter, hoping Santa Claus gives me a putter fitting for Christmas, voodoo, etc...

Gotcha. That makes sense. Give the deficiencies in my putting over the last month or so, everything is on the table - moving the ball back some, trying a different putter, hoping Santa Claus gives me a putter fitting for Christmas, voodoo, etc...
Definitely go for a fitting, I have been on CAPTO and Trackman recently. Seeing the face to path numbers on TM can quickly show your response to toe hang vs FB which should point you in the right direction. It is also a great way to determine what aspects of your stoke need work and prioritize drills. I was surprised to learn given that my miss is a pull left, that I have an in-to-out path which gets more out on longer putts. The left miss is caused by consistently delivering a closed face and hitting putts with draw spin. Toe hang helps better match up my face-to-path which should minimize the compensations and get my path more nutral with practice.

I have a heel balanced putter and I can't feel a difference between it and a toe balanced putter, let alone a face balanced putter.

Even though I've been fit for toe hang twice I feel like I don't see a huge difference between a toe hang putter and a center shaft face balanced putter. The weird thing though is a non center shaft face balanced putter I feel like I tend to miss right quite often. I'm sure it's a big mental thing but something I've noticed.

I have a slight arc and don't "release" a putter - I do not rotate the toe with my hands. I remain square to the arc and attempt to keep the slight arc through the stroke. This slight arc stroke comes easily to me. It takes a different setup where I am more upright (easy on the back) and closer to the ball - my feet are about 2 putter head lengths from ball.

I do best with a putter that is toe up (Edel), slightly toe down (Bettinardi) or a SeeMore. I do have a TP Mills mallet that is toe down but it is not in the bag although I keep trying to get it there. I have used a face balanced putter previously but prefer not to do so. I can't tell you why.

So I won a FB Odyssey 7 versa putter which always felt too light and I just swapped out the weights and the head feels much more stable now and will definitely try it this season.

For whatever reason, with my Taylormade Spider, my misses are primarily left (a pull) and now I realize it is a toe-hang putter when balancing it on my hands. Could this pull be from it being a toe-hang? Would a face balanced putter mitigate this pull?

side note - I consider myself a pretty good putter especially when judging distance. Just not sure if I am overthinking this FB VS. TH thing...

Yes I can tell, I don't get along with toe hang putters that well.

Back