Toe Hang vs. Face Balance - Can YOU tell a difference

KY Golfer

It's for Kentucky, Lol #Paradise4Life
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Bourbon
I understand the thought behind having an arc stroke and needing the putter to release vs. a straight back straight thru stroke. I've always used a face balanced mallet putter,
but I've been messing around with putters here recently and tried out some Answer style and toe hang mallets and I can't seem to tell a difference between the two. I seem
to putt the same with both. At least it feels like I do anyway. So I was wondering if it really makes a difference to amateur golfers who play a coupe times a week.
How about you THPer's, can you tell a difference or is your stroke the same no matter what style putter you use?

1573238091084.jpeg

I can tell the difference with a putter that has too much toe hang. I will consistently miss left with that kind of putter.

Yes sir! Like @mikeg_74 noted, I can tell based on my misses.

I can. I find that a face balanced putter tends to want to stay square, whereas a toe hang putter wants to open and close like a door. IMO, a face balanced is probably better for most who only play once or twice a week because it tends to be more consistent and takes most of the face rotation out of the equation but I played toe hang putters for many years when I was a 30 handicap and did quite well with them. You just need to practice a bit more with them to get the feel and to perfect the ball position and timing of the face rotation.

Yeah I notice a difference. Changes the feel on stroke transition for me. That;s where I feel the difference the most.

Yes. I can feel the difference in the putter head during the stroke.

when i put an equal stroke on the ball, face balanced goes straight left for me. too much toe hang goes straight right

I notice a very slight difference in the feel of my stroke, but I don't find any reason to believe I'm better with one style or another. For a very long time, I used an old fashioned flanged blade, a Toney Penna Ironmaster I bought when I was in high school. I'm 71 now and still have it.

I like a putter to be pretty head heavy and I often add weight to it. While it doesn't vary the balance, it makes me use the bog muscles and I suspect that reduces the feel differences between various putters and how they hang.

Last edited:
I’m not real sure to be honest. I have a couple Odyssey #7 and a #1. I think the #1 is toe hang but not sure about any of them. I game the 1 but putt decent with all of them, just prefer blade style putters. Maybe someone could educate me.

With my SBST stroke I have to manipulate the heck out of a toe hang putter or it's a snap hook left for me.

I don't know the difference. I am a fairly straight back straight through and I only like mallets

With my SBST stroke too much toe hang is bad for my health and digestion. :p

Big time. Every face balanced putter I’ve owned including the #10 triple track has not been a good putter for me. I still keep going back to my BB1. The toe hang just fits me and has been confirmed by SAM at Club Champion.

Definitely. I’ve got both and my putting changes so much with each! I still maintain a very slight arc, but the putter almost feels heavier when face balanced.

1594346796773.png

I can tell the difference. With a face balanced I will leave puts out to the right. Slight hang helps me close the face to square.

I definitely can tell the difference. I putt much better with a face balanced putter vs one with toe hang, and a little beter yet if tgat FB putter is center shafted.

Been tugging putts a little with face balanced mallets. Slight toe hang blades work pretty good for me.
With the fb mallets, I find they want to fan open a touch if they have a lot of weight low/back for MOI. Your grip pressure tends to keep it square.
Of those two mallets in the pics, it might be harder to tell with those due to the MOI design.

I can tell on the takeaway. I'm wiggly with a face-balanced, because I have to fight it. I can adjust and putt well enough with them, but I'm a long blade toe hang guy, and anything else I notice immediately.

I’m not real sure to be honest. I have a couple Odyssey #7 and a #1. I think the #1 is toe hang but not sure about any of them. I game the 1 but putt decent with all of them, just prefer blade style putters. Maybe someone could educate me.
The #1 would have a good amount of toe hang. The 7 (unless it's an S) should be face-balanced. If you hold them out level, supported from the underneath side, the head will rotate down to the degree of toe hang. A typical blade with hang pretty far down, and a face-balanced putter won't at all. It'll lay with the face straight up.

Well it's pretty obvious that most can tell a difference. I suppose if I spent a good amount of time with a toe hang (I don't have one) out on the course I would be able to tell as well. Not so much on an golf store putting green. Maybe someday I'll give one a try to see if it improves my putting at all.

I definitely can tell the difference. I putt much better with a face balanced putter vs one with toe hang, and a little beter yet if tgat FB putter is center shafted.
I've always been a Center Shafted FB putter myself. I changed to a heel shafted for the first time about a year ago mainly because CS aren't made much anymore.

I've always been a Center Shafted FB putter myself. I changed to a heel shafted for the first time about a year ago mainly because CS aren't made much anymore.

True - FB putters are harder to find these days.i I gave a serious audition to an Odysset Works 2-ball Fang Tank Cruiser. It was a counterbalanced heel shafted face balanced putter woth adjustable weights. I figured iff some adjustment on that did’n’t kick my CS SeeMore out of the bag nothing would. It very nearly did, but the SeeMore works just a little better for me.

I absolutely can tell differences. For my Strong ARC motion I do better with toe hang. I am currently working on reducing the my strong arc motion to slight arc. For that I have a mallet putter. When I keep my stroke short going back, I actually like face balanced designs. IF I am getting "handsy" and old habits surface I switch back to more classic blade with toe hang.

Back