Tom Watson “Secret”

Pgetzen

Reaction score
I just ran across the old video where Tom Watson says the secret to golf is staying on plane for both backswing and the follow through. I can get around the course OK, currently playing to a 4, but my biggest flaw is early extension, stall and flip. Doesn’t happen every swing, but it rears its ugly head a few times per round. This “secret” seems too easy to be the single fundamental for swinging a golf club, but could it be? Here’s the video:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=b6cntSpVbZo&usg=AOvVaw3fLWiPyLbms1cwcioEOVJT

Can this be done with any kind of swing speed/power? Just curious as to others’ thoughts out there. Seems like you could motor the backswing by just taking your left shoulder and pointing it behind the ball, and then power the downswing by pointing your right shoulder in front of the ball.

I just ran across the old video where Tom Watson says the secret to golf is staying on plane for both backswing and the follow through. I can get around the course OK, currently playing to a 4, but my biggest flaw is early extension, stall and flip. Doesn’t happen every swing, but it rears its ugly head a few times per round. This “secret” seems too easy to be the single fundamental for swinging a golf club, but could it be? Here’s the video:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiIssqyqO_tAhUQpFkKHeOfB2AQyCkwAHoECAUQAw&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6cntSpVbZo&usg=AOvVaw3fLWiPyLbms1cwcioEOVJT

Can this be done with any kind of swing speed/power? Just curious as to others’ thoughts out there. Seems like you could motor the backswing by just taking your left shoulder and pointing it behind the ball, and then power the downswing by pointing your right shoulder in front of the ball.
I wouldn't recommend using your left side (for a rightie) to swing back or any sort of push, other than off the ground if you get around properly. A pulling motion will keep you more centered and balanced. And if you use your legs to power the downswing and use them properly, then you will not, and cannot early extend.

It all starts with a good SetUP, then a good Pivot Back to setup your Pivot Down so that you do not early extend or do any sort of 🐐 humping

Thanks, anything you can share regarding the pivot? Maybe a video link or article? I think I do an OK job of it, but always interested in reading or watching more!

Thanks, anything you can share regarding the pivot? Maybe a video link or article? I think I do an OK job of it, but always interested in reading or watching more!
Send me a video of your pivot, or post it here...

I’ll video something in the next couple of day, thanks!

My 2 cents is you might want to check your weight distribution during your backswing to see if you're loading early on the lead foot at the top, or getting a left knee "sag" with too much hip rotation on the back swing. This is what caused me to early extend and/or reverse pivot. See my thread regarding knee movement. Watson's video is fine but IMO it's an over-simplification that omits key aspects.

Back