Tommy Armour VCG Wedges...Anyone tried them?

sigm22

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has any first hand experience with these on the course? They appear to be a solid offering especially at the price point yet I have not had much luck locating a review. Any and all feedback is welcome.

I just looked them up. If I needed wedges I'd consider these for $70 over $140 per wedge. It looks good too.
When it comes to wedges I believe it's all about feel and not the name stamped on the back of the wedge.
A few months ago I bought a TA Atomic driver for the main reason of the materials used in the construction of it. Also it being in sale for $170 wasn't bad either. I'll reshaft it with the current shaft that is working for me from my other driver. Better than spending $499 on something because of the name.

I have a VCG 50° and I love it.

All the features of the big boys - forged 1020 carbon steel, tungsten toe weighting, short hosel, micro cavity with a wider sole

the black finish quickly wears off to expose the bronze finish underneath

I have a VCG 50° and I love it.

All the features of the big boys - forged 1020 carbon steel, tungsten toe weighting, short hosel, micro cavity with a wider sole

the black finish quickly wears off to expose the bronze finish underneath

That is good to hear. Yeah, as I was reading over the features and tech, I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know what these wedges retailed for originally but at $70 currently, they seem like an absolute bargain!

That is good to hear. Yeah, as I was reading over the features and tech, I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know what these wedges retailed for originally but at $70 currently, they seem like an absolute bargain!

$130, I bought one at $100 and it's been well worth the money

the only bummer is the lack of grind info, just "matched grinds" and "Each loft/bounce combination is based on historic player preferences"

Given I like my Cally Sure Out I’ve always wanted to try the TA Over and Out wedge. If they offered the 2018 black finish with the 2019 railed soles I’d try it. But not too fond of the 2019 chrome look.

Ive been playing them since mid summer and theyre awesome wedges. Theyre made from forged 1020 carbon steel and are in a raw finish. Mine is to the point now where the coating/finish has mostly worn off off the sole and face and its an awesome look. The wedges have great feel and give very good spin too. I play inexpensive, 2-piece balls and am still able to get pretty good spin, even on little greenside shots.
IMO, anyone who is looking at getting new wedges needs to give these a look.

Ive been playing them since mid summer and theyre awesome wedges. Theyre made from forged 1020 carbon steel and are in a raw finish. Mine is to the point now where the coating/finish has mostly worn off off the sole and face and its an awesome look. The wedges have great feel and give very good spin too. I play inexpensive, 2-piece balls and am still able to get pretty good spin, even on little greenside shots.
IMO, anyone who is looking at getting new wedges needs to give these a look.
Thanks for the input. Considering how good these wedges look combined with the tech story, I was somewhat surprised that I was unable to locate a single mainstream review or even a dedicated thread amongst multiple forums.

Thanks for the input. Considering how good these wedges look combined with the tech story, I was somewhat surprised that I was unable to locate a single mainstream review or even a dedicated thread amongst multiple forums.
They're owned by Dick's, so I think many dont take them seriously. If you look at the clubs, the tech and what's gone into revitalizing the Tommy Armour brand, they're legit.
I didn't take TA seriously until I got the chance to test the Atomic irons for another site and went from that to a full TA bag because they're great clubs at a value price.
I'm long past the days where brand matters to me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have the 50, 56, & 60. Went in convinced that I wanted Ping Glide 2.0's. Was given Cleveland, Ping, and then the VCGs and as much as I wanted the Name brand option, the VCGs kept out performing everything. Same story with my putter (TA impact #3). Love the look. Even when I went to get fitted at 2nd swing for my woods, my fitter pulled them out of my bag and raved about how good they looked. He was surprised to see they were TA'S.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

I was in GG one day looking at wedges and I noticed the TAs. They looked and felt as good as anything out there, except the high end wedges. I came close to buying a TA wedge simply because it was on sale. If you bought 2 you could get them for 60 each. I went with a higher end wedge as I could tell the high end wedges were better machine quality, but that does not mean I can game the high end wedge any better. It is about what you want and your budget.

Here's a link to Golf Galaxy for the TA VCG wedges, length, loft, lie, bounce, etc.

Is anyone currently using these? I want to go lower bounce in my wedges and the features of these appear to be the real deal: high end shaft, CG moved away from heel, vertical CG, etc...

Dave

Back