Too Cold for Golf?

Below 50 and cloudy
or
Below 40 with sun
Michigan
Wind has not been factored into any of those equations but as the wind goes up so does my temperature limit.

Dallas and I will play under 50 if there is not a lot of wind. If the windchill is down in the 30s i’m out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the critical piece of info is wind.

I can tolerate a LOT when wind isn't a factor. And soon as it picks up even a little bit, I'm out.
Rai...I mean Wind Check, please!

I’m amazed at how many guys play in freezing temperatures. Like legit shocked!

Curious what the over/under is for guys playing graphite shafts in feeezing temps.

If there’s no or light wind I’ll play when it’s in the 30’s, if it’s windy and makes it feel colder, I will typically hold out. Although, I have been talked into playing when it’s colder before 😊

Was @KEV with you? Nevermind... In any case. How many layers for those conditions?
I wish @KEV was there. I need a round with my #Grandaddy brothers.

38* was rain pants (as pants) and a quarter zip. The other stuff also involved wind so I went with long underwear under rain pants and like 3 layers for the torso, plus a beanie thing for the melon.

I played in upper 30's temps on Tuesday and really enjoyed it. Not because I'm a tough guy who can take the cold, more because in those temps there are no other golfers out there who I can maim with an errant drive.:whistle:

I don’t think I’ve ever played with temps in the teens, but I’d never say never! If the course is open I will play!

Yeah, wind is the deciding factor for me. I can deal with 20's as long as there's no wind.

My lower limit is somewhere between 50-55°F, depending upon wind, sun, and precipitation.

below 50 is too cold. But, I have thought of playing in mid 40's when the sun is out with no wind. You say to yourself, hmm. This maybe doable, lol

50* is my temp limit. Wind can’t be more than 10mph.

A wise man once said, “If you need hand warmers, it’s too cold!”

45* is pretty much my end but I have played in worse.

Is the course open? If so, I'm playing.

I'm also north of the 60th parallel though, so cold comes with the territory.

We have the second tee time tomorrow which is 7:30. It will be pretty cold. This time of year we still make early times. There will be a frost delay so we wont get out till 9:00 but the club goes in order of tee time so we will go to breakfast after we put our cart covers on and load our clubs. As long as carts are going out even in the 30’s its not bad with covers and heaters and its even better if its not windy. Love to extend the season as long as we can. Titleist mittens as well in between shots and waiting on the tee. And the traditional shot of Jack Fire at some point. It may be cold but its better than not playing.DDDF7108-B9D6-4ABE-AD94-307A0E26196A.png

Nebraska
60* is my threshold
if the wind is blowing it feels like 45..
if it says 50 it’s cold
if it says 40 hell no
if it says 30 your drunk or on drugs
any lower your not getting on the course anyways because their closed

i am also beyond shocked at the temps people will play in.

Well where I live I won’t see that break point more than once every 5-7 years. I live in the Bay Area of California. Frost delays are one of our biggest issues. Think we had 3 last year. At least on days I could play.

I live in Kansas. If you don't like wind, you can't play here in any season. Me personally, I'll play regardless of the weather. Guess it's the fisherman in me, but I don't mind rain, wind, cold, etc.

I’m a “feels like” 40 and up golfer, rain or shine. Played in 43 and raining this past weekend.

A twitter exchange full of 7 clothing layer references and wind readings led me to ask post this simple question to THP'ers.

Under what conditions is it too cold to golf? What's your breakpoint and where do you live?
SoCal never gets too bad ;) However I have played out in the desert where it can get abnormally cold. When I cannot feel my finger tips a-la skiing trip cold, I'm out. Other than that I've played in freezing rain, frigid wind chill, and other environments but when you can't feel the hands is when you head in for some hot coco🥶

I've played in some pretty cold weather.. I'm talking ice forming on my mustache/beard. Blowing ice rain, wind chill factor stuff.

These days I would draw the line at colder north wind days. A wind chill factor in the 20s, and lower.

It's not just the cold weather. I can handle colder temps way below freezing. It's cold weather with a 1-3 club wind that I want nothing to do with. Ok

If the turf is frosty, I will wear water proof walking shoes/boots. .

If I ever find my break point I'll let you know.
Until then, dress for it and get out there.

I played when it was 17* last winter, when there was snow drifts all over the course, practiced on frozen fairways and greens, all of it. My work has me out in the elements a lot, so I'm not put off by much if it's what I want to do. Plus, I had new clubs and wanted to hit the season running. You can't hide from less than great conditions in Nebraska or you just won't play much.

Back