Too Cold for Golf?

Above freezing and were playing. Most likely still in shorts. Heavy wind or rain bump it to 50.

I will easily play in 35 degree weather and down to 30 or so if there is no wind. Once you throw wind in to it, and depending on how fast, 45 is a pretty proper limit. But again, with no wind, I will play in quite cold temps. 30 isn't even that cold in MT(stressing again the no wind thing) so it's not that bad. A quarter zip or a hoodie:sneaky: and some pants and I'm ready to go

I'll say 50 is my limit now, but I'm going to try to play in colder temps this winter.

I grew up in Michigan, but have now lived a long time along the coast in California. So in my world, it never happens.

Played 22 holes yesterday in temperates between 35-38 F but minimal north wind, bright sunshine. Just a gorgeous day. 2 layers and at times an added vest but overall temperature great in late fall conditions. Course is now closed for the next 4 days as conditions well below freezing but November is giving us one last gasp at golf with some 50-60 temperatures starting mid week before old man winter settles in for the next 5-6 months. Going to move 3 days of vacation booked later to next week and enjoy some end of season binge golf.

Snow, lightning, and less than 35* (either wind chill or just temp).

When I lose feel in my hands, thats when its too cold for me to bother playing. Sub 45 is around the temp for me.

Last edited:
50 is probably my threshold and I still would need to take wind into account. Now if I booked a time and the temps and winds changed to get worse, I’d still play to spite Mother Nature. Knowing my luck I would get the cart with a missing windshield....

Under 50, especaiily when it is not bright and sunny. Live in the deep south (south GA).

I prefer not to play under 50*. I can handle 40's when we tee off if it's not windy and will warm up a bit.

The worst though was last year when we played a tournament and it was 29* when we teed off. I think the warmest it got was 33*. That absolutely sucked.

40° is usually my low point. A lot of that depends on wind and that is the key, sun has to be out and temp going up at the wind picks up. At 40 the wind needs to be slight, 50 i can go to 10-12 60 we are up to 15mph. This also depends on time of year here in Kansas. Loose layers and good gloves are important and usually walking.
the critical piece of info is wind.

I can tolerate a LOT when wind isn't a factor. And soon as it picks up even a little bit, I'm out.
These two posts pretty much sum up cold weather golf for me. 40 degrees is not what I consider an "ideal" temperature to golf, but it is tolerable as long as the wind is calm so that it "feels" like 40. Once the wind shows up and that "feels like" temperature drops it's a hard pass for me.

The coldest I’ve played in was 38, but it was sunny and very low wind if any. Like @Canadan, if it gets windy or wet I’m done.

Depends more on the wind chill than the actual temperature. Played yesterday with the temp at 37° but basically no wind and warming up quickly and nicely to low 50's by the end of the round. We start taking a hard look when the temp drops to 40° but as one can see we'll play in colder depending on complete circumstances.

60 degrees and up for me

I'll play when it is in the 30's as long as there is little wind. Unfortunately, my home course is one of the more windy areas in our county. When the wind is up I need it to be at least 45* to tee it up.

For me it is about the wind and sun. Sometimes 30 and sunny feels warmer then 45 , cloudy and a two club wind.

It was 38* at the start yesterday and 42* when we finished. It was windy so I only needed a base layer and a medium weight 1/4 zip to stay very comfortable. Today it will be above 50 by the time I reach the 5th or 6th hole so it will feel balmy. I run warm so I have no issues playing when it is in the 30’s but I grew up here in Minnesota skiing, snowmobiling, and ice fishing so the cold is just part of life from now until April(or longer). My youngest daughter spent her first 12 years in California but loves the cold winters here so much she joined the high school Nordic ski team. Winter is her favorite time of year. :)

I teed off at 8am this last Thursday, 41 degrees out. Had some sun and almost no wind. Shot 80, my lifetime personal best! Just had one light extra layer on and it was actually very enjoyable. Almost had the place to myself.

In the coldest winter months in central california the worst we see is morning frost. The courses won't let us play until it hits 40 degrees and the frost is melted. Most times its 40 degrees by 8:00. I never had problem playing with that. Rain is the one thing that will stop me. But it has to be the kind that leaves puddles too big to putt on the green.

Fog is a common occurrence around here. Some mornings you can't see your ball when you hit it past 50 yards. I remember one of the best days I ever had was on a very foggy day when I was younger. I didn't want to use the driver in those conditions so I teed off with my 3 iron all day. I would only used irons from the fairways. Quite a few times I walked through the fog looking for my ball, come up on the green and there it was. My playing partners at the time said I need to play in fog more often. :LOL:

Low 50s high 40s is kind of my limit..

40° IF THERE IS NO WIND!
If its blowing and 50 I'm thinking about something else. Even with wind and 50 it cuts right through you.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I teed off at 8am this last Thursday, 41 degrees out. Had some sun and almost no wind. Shot 80, my lifetime personal best! Just had one light extra layer on and it was actually very enjoyable. Almost had the place to myself.

Sweet! Nice to see you shot a PB! Although, I suspect there was a reason you had the course to yourself.

If it's going to reach 50 with little or no wind I'll play. Less than that and I'm putting in my living room. Ocean courses during the winter are the worst, that wind can be really cold. We usually go a little inland during the winter.

Back