Too Good to be true?

Anyone ever used sellaclub on ebay?

nope you pull the trigger yet?

I was gonna chime in with my .02 but I see you already pulled the trigger. I recently bought new irons and was also looking at a few seemingly too good to be true deals on ebay. The whole serial number thing can easily be faked. Even though I could have gotten basically brand new open box irons for a few $$$ more I was still worried about getting fakes. ultimately I played it safe and bought from callaway preowned. I kind of have regret over not going with the open box ones but at least I know I got the real deal.

Edit: Oh wait...I read Smalls post and thought you bought the driver...

Anyone ever used sellaclub on ebay?

i didnt even know there was that.. i sell alot of my clubs and other golf stuff on ebay when i get rid of it.. just the regular old sell on ebay works good.. i sold a couple drivers, a shaft, putter, some golf balls and selling a couple more things right now to... you have a link? id like to check it out to.. thank you..

Not yet. Still looking into it.

i didnt even know there was that.. i sell alot of my clubs and other golf stuff on ebay when i get rid of it.. just the regular old sell on ebay works good.. i sold a couple drivers, a shaft, putter, some golf balls and selling a couple more things right now to... you have a link? id like to check it out to.. thank you..

Heres their seller page. http://myworld.ebay.com/sellaclub/

I was gonna chime in with my .02 but I see you already pulled the trigger. I recently bought new irons and was also looking at a few seemingly too good to be true deals on ebay. The whole serial number thing can easily be faked. Even though I could have gotten basically brand new open box irons for a few $$$ more I was still worried about getting fakes. ultimately I played it safe and bought from callaway preowned. I kind of have regret over not going with the open box ones but at least I know I got the real deal.

Edit: Oh wait...I read Smalls post and thought you bought the driver...

ya i was scared about that to with a few clubs i bought, but i usually only buy from people with feedback above 1000 or more with golf clubs and i get a direct number to call them and even message a few other people that bought from them and left feedback...

ahhh my mistake thought u ment there was a special place for golf clubs, sorry.. what do you need and i will try looking some on ebay and other places for you.. im usually a pretty good bargain shopper. haha you want the g10 with regular or stiff? right handed?

Hahahah im just looking right now for a good deal. I could use new everything and if I find a good deal on anything I would look into it. And I'm left handed hahaha. No thanks. I'll look for myself. But I really appreciate you wanting to help!

Hahahah im just looking right now for a good deal. I could use new everything and if I find a good deal on anything I would look into it. And I'm left handed hahaha. No thanks. I'll look for myself. But I really appreciate you wanting to help!

ok just trying to help out.. hope you find one.

Are there really that many fakers out there? I'd think, that if somebody was selling fake clubs, they'd just give you a legit serial number or something if asked.

I'd love to see some side by side pics of fake clubs vs. the real deals.

Are there really that many fakers out there? I'd think, that if somebody was selling fake clubs, they'd just give you a legit serial number or something if asked.

I'd love to see some side by side pics of fake clubs vs. the real deals.

ya alot of fakes and clones going around latley.. i think some of the colors are a little different and the feel and sounds of the club are different but definitley alot of fakes.clones/japan model clubs going around..

I know its the starting bid thats at .99, but that still sounds cheap.

Golf clubs sell well on eBay. They know the item will sell for about what they're asking for a 'But It Now', maybe a little less; that's why the starting price is only $0.99. EBay charges a higher insertion fee to start bidding higher than that. There's probably several people watching it right now, waiting to bid until the last minute. Good Luck to you if you decide to bid on it, and if you don't win it, check out Global Golf's eBay store...got my Callaway X460 driver from them in mint condition for only $55!

ya alot of fakes and clones going around latley.. i think some of the colors are a little different and the feel and sounds of the club are different but definitley alot of fakes.clones/japan model clubs going around..

I actually game a clone of the R7 called the T7. Its manufacturers admitted it was a clone. It outperforms the Nike SuMo 9 times out of 10

I bought my Diablo Edge's off ebay from timtheputterman. He had tens of thousands of positive feedbacks, and this set was purchased "slightly used." They came in plastic, clubheads wrapped in plastic, possibly factory reconditioned, but the soles were mirror shined except one club which had a very small scratch on it. I saved about 25% off retail, and they hit great.

I don't know if these are good rules of thumb, but when I was making my purchase I kept two things in mind:

1. If it seems like too good a deal to be true (i.e. a new driver which retails for $300 selling for $100), it probably is.
2. I guessed that used clubs were less likely to be fakes than new clubs. If you can get a set that's slightly used, or even moderately used (because really, after 2-3 rounds, brand new clubs are gonna look not so good any more anyway), you might be better off than getting a brand new set in terms of them being fakes or not. Someone feel free to correct me on this point if you think I'm incorrect.

Also, agree with the serial number thing. Counterfeiters could just be using a legit serial number and send you clubs with a different s/n, or send you fakes with that s/n imprinted on them.

be careful,

it's scary how good some of these fakes are getting, and that's also why you can't just trust good feedback as much as you used to be able to. The fakes are often so good, that people don't even know the clubs they've got are fake. Serial numbers are also faked, and some companies won't verify serial numbers anyways (TM for example)

some of the fake vokeys, fake SC putters, fake AP2 irons and such are scary accurate to the real things, you'd have to put them directly side by side to tell the difference in some cases

I was at the driving range a couple months ago, next to a guy who just got a new "R9" driver, 3wood and 5wood. He got them incredibly cheap, and he assumed they were fakes when he got them. He asked me to try out the driver to see how close it was to my authentic R9 driver. Now, I have an x-stiff shaft in my driver, and his was regular flex, but my goodness. That shaft was like a spaghetti noodle. I couldn't square up that clubface to save my life. My guess is it was more flexible than a lady's flex.

BUt the thing looked a lot like my driver. If I didn't have them side by side I would not have been able to accurately tell the difference by looks alone. But hitting it you could definitely tell, it sounded different and the shaft was horrible. It also had an obviously fake serial number stamped on it, so that alone isn't going to help you.

Like others have said, I'd go with reputable, 1000+ sellers when possible.

It also had an obviously fake serial number stamped on it, so that alone isn't going to help you.

Like others have said, I'd go with reputable, 1000+ sellers when possible.

A serial number can be verified by the OEM quickly and they will tell you if it is real or not.

A serial number can be verified by the OEM quickly and they will tell you if it is real or not.

Taylormade wont verify the serial number. is there another way I could find out? one of my buddies is looking at some irons and wants to make sure there not fakes...

Last edited:
I got my SC from an ebay seller that was obviously in the business of selling clubs and had been selling them for a long time at ebay (had over 50,000 points and approval rating over 98%). The price was just about what it should have been. Truth is some of these fakes seem to be getting so good that you wonder if the guys who are in the business can be fooled as well.
SC would seem to be a target because of the pricing. Do you guys think some of the Japanese brands have become more likely targets because they are harder to track or because they can be kinda’ pricy or something else?

I go to the range and I can find 5 R9s to compare vs the ones I just bought.
I don't ever have the luxury of comparing a japenese model club to a 'real' one.

Just a thought.

Here is a pretty generic article on the subject, but I include it because it does have a couple of pictures.
http://www.mygolfspy.com/fake-counterfeit-golf-clubs/

I got my SC from an ebay seller that was obviously in the business of selling clubs and had been selling them for a long time at ebay (had over 50,000 points and approval rating over 98%). The price was just about what it should have been. Truth is some of these fakes seem to be getting so good that you wonder if the guys who are in the business can be fooled as well.
SC would seem to be a target because of the pricing. Do you guys think some of the Japanese brands have become more likely targets because they are harder to track or because they can be kinda’ pricy or something else?

On eBay with new clubs your best bet is timtheputterman and jacksgolf24...both ship from VERY reputable places and thyself all I'll say here in topic (let's put it this way, the boxes and invoices come from two of THE biggest online dealers).

Jacksgolf24 was my diablo edge and now supertri hookup.

I personally won't buy NEW clubs on eBay from anyone else...way too risky.

Looking at Tim's X-20's on there right now... really cheap atm.

Tim is a good dude, legit. My a7's came from him.

Back