too much socializing on the golf course ?

too much socializing on the golf course ?

• for playing good shots the less talk the better

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • say good shot and that's enough talking

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • while on the golf course it's fun to talk about football, restaurants, movies etc..

Votes: 38 33.6%
  • for me golf is social so the more talking the better

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • quiet or talkative does not matter to me, no preference

Votes: 38 33.6%
  • I like to meet new people and will talk their ears off to get to know them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • me and my buddies are on the course to talk about sports, current events and the golf is secondary

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
I don’t mind socializing but I’m more of the listener than talker, and silence doesn’t bother me. Now I’ll answer questions if they are a random I’m paired with to get to know each other, but I’m not one that gives out my whole life story, and don’t need to hear yours either :). Plus, the typical taboo topics will just get ignored, my focus is golf :)

I'm good either way. Like most golfers I'm more chatty when I'm not playing like shite.

I love getting in a groove with a couple guys where we grind over the minutia of every shot, club selection, wind, and hole strategy.

Plenty of downtime for some banter with the pace of play these days. I don’t have an issue socializing and having fun while also concentrating on golf as long as the chat isn’t in my backswing.

Not me. I'm always game for a spirited conversation.

If equally game, I will personally talk your darned ears off.

But there's time for talk and time for concentration. While I may need less of the latter than the next guy, I always assume that others prefer complete silence before their pre-shot routine and of course leading up to their swing.

With respect, I'll mostly take my cue by the observed behavior and mannerisms of others.

It's not a black and white decision for me.
For instance, it's very uncommon here to ride carts. Walking leaves plenty of time for socializing, if it's the type of round where that is of interest.
With the people i used to play with, you got the required moments to yourself to figure out what you wanted to do if you hadn't already, commit and execute. (with very occasionally some banter, like if you were about to do something decidedly risky or stupid)

I don't think it's ever acceptable to address someone with random chat as they're trying to hit a ball.
If you're hitting it all over the place and nowhere near each other, please don't follow each other around to every ball and hold up the entire course.

Re music , nope , that belongs in different environment not on course. Being polite and having social discourse during a round of golf with either friends relatives or someone unknown ( who knows you may just make a new friend or have something in common or perhaps not but be nice about it ) ls part of the charm of game .

l get scoring is important to some , equally they may choose to share their success with others , and how would they communicate that ? By talking ,,,,,

We aren’t that special or important that we can’t share the game and it joys with another , you just may feel a bit better after it ) ...

lee trevinos view on being polite and acknowledge someone ( spectators ) who came to watch him , l never had privel of seeing him play , but admire and respect his attitude there immensely

lee trevinos view on being polite and acknowledge someone ( spectators ) who came to watch him , l never had privel of seeing him play , but admire and respect his attitude there immensely

At tournaments Trevino used to stand on the tee box and say (to anyone within listening distance) "It's hot out today so I am going down there on the right side of the fairway where there is some shade from a tree".......... Then he would hit his ball to that spot and smile.

At tournaments Trevino used to stand on the tee box and say (to anyone within listening distance) "It's hot out today so I am going down there on the right side of the fairway where there is some shade from a tree".......... Then he would hit his ball to that spot and smile.
I watched a show and it selected a champion golfer and covered their history and honours .
He was asked why he talks to people and says hello etc...
His reply ‘ they paid to see him , it cost nothing to be polite. And acknowledge someone and you just might make their day ‘ Sound advice 😀

I watched a show and it selected a champion golfer and covered their history and honours .
He was asked why he talks to people and says hello etc...
His reply ‘ they paid to see him , it cost nothing to be polite. And acknowledge someone and you just might make their day ‘ Sound advice 😀

Also, I think Trevino believed that talking on the golf course helped him to relax and, or, relieve tension. Nicklaus said that when he was paired with Trevino he knew Lee would be trying to talk to him on the course and that he (Nicklaus) had to be careful not to lose focus that day.

Chatting is fine with me, especially while walking a round. Between shots, there is enough time to chat, but once we approach our next attempt at glory, it's ready golf.

Doesn't really matter to me on the course. But that guy/gal that won't STFU on the driving range while I'm working on my swing I want to strangle!

playing a 5 hour round with someone who is silent isn't much fun!
I like to talk about a variety of subjects but know when to shut up!!

I really don't want to make this a slow play comment but playing on weekend afternoons you really need to be able to find some kind of conversation to pass the time.

When we arrived Sunday the holes on either side driveway to the clubhouse were empty. No one on tees, fairways or greens for 2 holes (#'s 6 & 7) at 1pm on a Sunday? That can't be good. We got started 10 minutes late as well. The group ahead was a single & a pair. One of the pair showed up minutes before his tee time.

So we chatted with the starter about the frost on Saturday, rolled a few balls on the practice green, talked about our "old person" ailments. My elbow, my wife's knee, my buddy's shoulders... my buddy owns an auto repair shop so we talked about cars.

A lot of small talk I guess, occasionally something about the actual golf course or how to play a shot. My wife is always asking what she did? I dunno its all good. Would certainly be less talk, more focus on golf if there wasn't so much waiting...

Oh! We did have ball washers back for the first time in a year! So that took up some time... along with talk about how clean our balls were...

For me it depends on the situation. If it’s just buddies or my son there is plenty of chatter. Met up with @donny475 for a round while in Texas. It was a social type round. I’m sure we spent more time shooting the bull than concentrating on golf. A guy can’t be serious all the time.

I can't shut my pie hole to save my life. Ask anyone who's played with me.

True, we had fun but we still played in 3.5 hours on a slowish day.....the group in front of us was definitely playing their once a year round....

I love chatting on the course.

I've also been known to say "hit that shot and I'll tell you more" too many times lmao
You ready to face me yet? I'm vaccinated!

that makes one of us!

Also, the only thing contagious right now is my atrocious swing.
Well, I've already got that, so no worries!(y)

To be honest, we (the guys I play with) are there to get out of the house and not be at work. Yes we golf. And we get somewhat competitive (lots of playful trash talk), but the golf is secondary to just all being out together. It's the people, not the sport.

~Rock

A round of golf for me is much less of a social event than it seems to be with most. There's a level of golf I like to achieve and it's not all that high. So when I fail to play close to that level, I don't really want to be around anyone.

I think that goes for most things in my life, not just golf. When I'm doing a home improvement project, I prefer the solitude. At work, I enjoy a few minutes of conversation with co-workers, but I can't really work well and socialize. Even when fishing from shore, I'd prefer to move around and try different spots than sit there and ******** with whoever is unfortunately enough be with me. It's a personality defect I suppose.

Obviously, I like to interact with folks or I wouldn't be on a golf forum. But when I'm playing, it's more about the golf than hanging out. I envy seemingly everyone else who can play this game and not worry about their score or performance. I've tried so hard to be like that and it doesn't happen.

all depends on the type of round for me: practice by myself; practice with my wife; more serious round with the wife/friends; charity tournament; other tournament, etc. If I am practicing or if I am in a competition, I say less talk the better, even if you know the person. That being said I don't want to seem like I'm Tiger circa 2000. In a normal round I think some chat is fine in between shots. When I'm on vacation with the wife or buddies, we're usually soaking in the scenery and commenting on stuff around the course.

As long as the pace of play is good, I have no complaints.

Back