too much socializing on the golf course ?

too much socializing on the golf course ?

• for playing good shots the less talk the better

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • say good shot and that's enough talking

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • while on the golf course it's fun to talk about football, restaurants, movies etc..

Votes: 38 33.6%
  • for me golf is social so the more talking the better

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • quiet or talkative does not matter to me, no preference

Votes: 38 33.6%
  • I like to meet new people and will talk their ears off to get to know them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • me and my buddies are on the course to talk about sports, current events and the golf is secondary

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
Does too much chit chat on the golf course harm the focus on your shots and maybe cause you to shoot higher scores than need be ?

As long as everyone keeps moving (walk and talk), but stops mouth and feet when someone is playing a shot, they can chat as much they want. Fine by me. I talk while I'm swinging/putting sometimes.

Went with doesn’t matter. I tend to be fairly quiet in person but can converse if called on. I kind of take the strangers lead on that one.

I can enjoy golf either way. If it’s a quiet round I’ll probably live update (provided I don’t put up a 2 penalty 6 putt 11 on a short par 5) more. If it’s talkative, less. I feel kind of weird trying to post when I’ve got someone that wants to talk. I’m not real great at multi tasking, golfing and half ass live updating are as much as I can handle. Someone that wants to talk is fine, but I can’t handle all three, which is why I find some of y’all’s ability to do so amazing (looking at you @OldandStiff ).

No, allows you to enjoy the outdoors with great company, while playing a game we all love. As long as we keep moving all things are great.

Does talking to myself count?

I’m not good enough to be out there for just golf. I mainly play to hang out with friends. Golf is secondary for me

So long as we keep moving, I’m good to talk sports and such. My group walks so plenty of time to chat if we’re feeling so inclined.

Talking is fine. I prefer to talk about golf while golfing. The course. The different shots. The layout. At least while on the holes. In between holes whatever. But when I hit the tee box it’s all about focusing on the shots to get in the hole as quickly as possible.

I don’t mind chatting in the cart, or while walking to the next shot, but once anyone is ready to hit, all the convo shuts off until headed to the next shot, If at any time, conversation slows us down, that’s it... I’m done until we’re back on pace. I hate to feel like we’re being pushed or playing slow.

Just don’t spend two minutes complaining about work when it’s your tee 🤬

Just keep pace of play... We ran into old buddies and needed a quick round, but these guys werent ready for that... Ready golf is key... We were finishing holes before they were hitting chips as they fumbled with cell phones and counted strokes.

I enjoy conversation on the course while walking between shots. But never when a shot is waiting to be hit.

As long as you keep the pace it doesn't matter. I prefer talking and will often continue a conversation while I'm putting.

I find the amateurs who require complete silence are often the biggest hacks of them all.

Doesn't matter to me if chatty or not as long as we keep the golf moving at a good pace like many others have stated.

I like the social aspect of golf. Talking golf especially but sports current events etc

I kind of get bored when I golf by myself

I'm all for chatting it up. Played yesterday with a buddy, his dad, and another buddy's dad. We were busting balls, talking all sports, offering words of encouragement when needed, and on and on. I can't imagine playing a round with people I'm choosing to spend 4-5 hours with and not bsing. Now if I'm paired up because I'm solo that day then I just let whoever I'm playing with take the lead. Wanna chat it up? I'm in. Wanna enjoy some quiet? Sure.

I have no prefernce. If it's socializing you want, then we can socialize. I'm not bashful.

If you want peace and quiet, I'm just as good with that aspect too.

I have a good preshot routine, so there's not much that will bother my swing.

Not everybody comes at the game the same way. For some their score is everything, for others it's an excuse to be sociable. I'm pretty tolerant, but there are some types that do get on my nerves. I was paired up with one guy who, when on in 3 on a par 5 and close to the hole announced "I think I'm going to get me a tweet tweet!" He said that quite few more times while reading his putt, and kept it up after making it! After a dozen or more "tweet tweets" I wanted to brain him with my sand wedge!

And something the we noticed yesterday. It seems like music is becoming ubiquitous on the course! We were hitting our 3rd shots on a par 5 and could hear the music from the group behind us on the tee! I'm fine with it as long as I don't have to listen to it.

I can't even get into a headspace to care more about my score than having quality social time with the people I am playing with.

I like chatting. It's kind of partof golf. Even the pros chat quite a bit out on the course.

I went with doesn’t matter. I enjoy the silence of a solo round and the friendly banter when paired up with strangers. Variety is good!

When playing with other people I like to talk between shots. It shuts off when time for anyone to hit but I enjoy conversation during the round.

Back