Too windy yesterday

scott.french3

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Winds were at least 22 mph yesterday. Hat went flying off while hitting balls on the range and was blown 50 yds behind me. Ran after my hat and my stand bag was blown over. Every shot caused sand to fly in my face. Decided to call it a day. Would not have been a fun round of golf. I don't mind wind. But, that was ridiculous!

Been there! Sometimes the weather just doesn’t want you to play

Last edited:
Those are the days where I might not keep score and just try to hit stingers all round.

That's a light wind around here during the summer. Last round I played was 40mph gusts and it was miserable. Oddly enough, it doesn't bother my ball flight as much as it bothers me.

That’s around average where I play 😫

If I didn't play in some sort of wind, I'd save 66% of my green fees. It has blown where I live darn near every day for the past 2 months.

I treat the wind as just another course hazard I need to deal with by playing more/less club, and keeping the ball lower/higher. Aim short/long to finish long/short. Or, aim left/right to finish right/left. On some holes, the wind can be your friend.

Our city course that I play at has a lot of tall trees, which blocks a lot of the wind. That helps. Our other city course is pretty much wide open to the wind.

Unless it's 2+ club wind, or higher I don't mind it too much. Where the wind bothers me the most, is on the greens. Ground wind plays heck with a rolling ball.

Agreed the wind had me going up or down 2 clubs. Suddenly a bad shot was really a bad shot in terms

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Winds were at least 22 mph yesterday. Hat went flying off while hitting balls on the range and was blown 50 yds behind me. Ran after my hat and my stand bag was blown over. Every shot caused sand to fly in my face. Decided to call it a day. Would not have been a fun round of golf. I don't mind wind. But, that was ridiculous!
I played in the same wind about 100 miles south of you, shot 82 on a 6400 yd par 72. I was very happy with my score & it made me feel like i had really accomplished something when i was finished.

When the wind blows like that here I always try to get out and play. Never know when I might need those skills.

I try to avoid fishing or golf in sustained winds above 12mph. makes both sports so difficult and the gusts blow hats, putts an boats.

Sounds like spring in Colorado. This place is worse for spring winds then I lived in Texas. But Colorado is..... well..........um........ better still.
50-70 MPH winds coming down the Front range slops happens a couple times a year here.

We played in it today, 22-25 constant with gusts to 30 and it was cold. I don't put to much stock in my scores when its like that but it was a good time with a fellow THPer and his dad.

Wind can make a round brutal.

It's fun to try and decode the wind and decide what club to actually hit. I played in 20 mph wind yesterday, and sometimes it gusted where 2 clubs more wasn't enough.

Its been pretty windy around here lately - love the challenge.

I will trade wind over snow every damn day. Rain turned to snow and back to rain here. Will be a week before courses are dry enough to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wind is a learning opportunity? I’m only paying $15/round at the course where I have my membership, so I can deal with windy rounds, but it would be tough to pay full price to get my butt kicked by the wind.

The course I usually play is atop a hill and gets pretty windy, especially spring and fall... This Spring , the wind has been crazy... so, you really earn your score out there these days...

Shot 83 today in a steady 20mph with gusts to 30+. I would never hit balls except to warm up in winds like that but I have fun playing like that. I had 3 doubles today two of which were due to the wind. It was windy enough that even the short game changed playing more balls along the ground. Highlight for me was making par on 17 which was playing dead into the wind. I pulled my drive left, hit a 5 wood out of a crappy like to 40 yards and hit a bump and run 7 iron to 10 feet and made the putt. I figure for me today our course which is a par 71 was playing to a par 74 at least for me because there were at least 3 holes I couldn’t reach in regulation from the tees we played.

My key is to not get upset and don’t worry about the score. I will say putting was a little tough for me as I am back to using a 48”putter and I can get blown around at times with the long putter.

As the Scots say “nay wind, nay golf”

I don’t any of you guys that go play in the wind. It’s literally my least favorite element to play in. I would trade cold, rain, snow, crazy hot. Anything but high winds lol

The last few weeks here in Ma it's been very windy. like 27 mph gusts.
It does take some of the fun out of the game when its blowing like that. I had 1 person cancel and when I went outside to go to the range I said Screw it too windy,

The sand in my face on every shot would have made me think twice about playing too.

Playing tennis on outdoor courts is another fun activity on windy days.

Played in that wind yesterday, I like it. I don’t hit the ball high enough to be bothered much.

Playing with a lot of wind definitely makes the game tougher.... played today with 20-25 mph gusts and choosing the correct club into or down wind was a challenge.... air mailed a couple and left a few short.... made for a bit of a frustrating round

Back