TOP 10 Bad/Funny Things That Can Happen On A Golf Course

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
These are just some that I can think of ... in no particular order. Please feel free to add to the list. Either from your own experiences or it may be something you have seen happen.

1. Hitting OB off the 1st Tee - You have just spent 30 - 45 minutes warming up on the range ... you feel you are good and warmed up, ready to get the round going. The first hole has OB down both sides of the fairway so it takes a precise shot right down the middle. You proceed to duck hook it or sky one off the toe right into the trees. Time to Reload! Guess I wasn't warmed up after all.
  2. Unable to Find the ball after a perfect T-shot - you just striped one down the fairway ... that should be perfect, you say to yourself. Walk down to just inside the 150 ... 'it should be right here' .... NOPE. "Well maybe I hit it better than I thought, let's look down at the end of the fairway" .... NOPE ... GONE! The golfing demon has swallowed up the perfect shot down the middle.
  3. Hit the dreaded "S***K" - see I can't even say the word. But we have all done it at some point. Hosel Rocket ... you name it, we all hate it. Sometimes it comes and goes just like that but sometimes it sticks with you ... like in "Tin Cup"
  4. Lip out a 30 ft putt - the minute it left the face, you knew it had a chance ... it's tracking, tracking ... you get ready for the fist pump and lift your putter into the air .... when it takes a look in the hole, literally half the ball is in the hole ... NOPE ... lips out. Then you hear from your "friends" ... "good putt" "nice speed" "uhh, almost" "thought you had that one"
  5. Hit your approach shot closer to the "alternate" hole than the "real" hole - this one happens this time of year on some courses. Where you have 2 holes cut in the green and you are supposed to alternate hole locations as each group comes through so it doesn't mess up one side of the green (plus they don't have to change hole locations as often in the cold). Can't think of how many times I have been closer to the "alternate" location than the "real" location of the flag. In fact, I have seen the ball disappear on the other side of the green because it went in the other hole.
  6. Duff a chip into the bunker - you short side yourself ... now you are trying to save par the hard way ... now you have a short pitch over a bunker to get to the green. But ... you proceed to chunk it right into the middle of the bunker. Now you are staring at bogey or worse.
  7. Perfect Drive down the middle only to find it in a Divot - this one irks me but it's the nature of the game. Most of us move the ball with Winter Rules in place but when it comes to playing it out of the divot when it comes time to when it really counts ... you have to know how to play it and most don't .... I guess it just comes down to thinking man "why did I deserve that after a perfect tee shot."
  8. Playing Through a Group Only to Duff it - whether this is on a Par 3 and you are asked to hit up ... or playing through a group that's waiting in the fairway if you are a single. This inevitably may happen to you. Step up .... your a little rushed ... proceed to put it way right no where near the green or you top one off the tee box. There have been many times I would just skip the entire hole if I don't get one in play. "Thanks guys ... don't worry I won't hold you up." And they are thinking, yeah right ... You Hack! LOL
  9. Leaving a Club behind somewhere on the course - this one has happened to me, not so much anymore but when I was younger and more forgetful. But NO ONE ever finds it or turns it in. Especially when it's a "prized possession" ... like a nice wedge by Vokey or Cleveland. "Nope, sorry never saw anything around the green ... sorry buddy." But you have been behind me all day long, how can you NOT find one. I know ... it's my fault for losing it in the first place. But it's just annoying. That's why I check my entire bag ... before and after a round for all my clubs.
  10. Spitting out your false teeth when yelling FORE - I had to throw this one in there because it just recently happened when I was playing with my father. I was literally rolling on the tee box with laughter. Hey Dad ... "Fixodent and forget it!"

So these are just some of the bad/funny things I can think of that happen while we are playing this great game that we ALL love. What are yours? Can anyone top #10?

I've done a few of these things that are listed.

I was playing in a scramble a couple years ago and the course had a bridge over a creek, the bridge was old, and had a sign "Absolutely one cart at a time on bridge" well...
There was a couple carts, each loaded with 3 of the largest people I've ever seen on a golf course...

well. The bridge broke, and they fell cart and all about 15 feet down to the creek. It was a sight.

I hit a pitch one time with a club that I never realized had a loose head. Hit the pitch just off the green and the clubhead landed 3 inches from the hole.The ball rolled over the green into a sand trap.

I feel like you have been watching me play because these are all major parts of my game right now. haha.My 2 most feared things are the first tee and the playing through a group then punting one. THis past summer a group of younger college kids let me play through and I popped up a drive like 40 yards down the fairway. That was a lot of fun.

Morgan Cup
1st hole
Cameras rolling
30-50 people behind you watching

The cold top and ball doesn't go more than 10 feet.

I've seen it happen several times....

Morgan Cup
1st hole
Cameras rolling

Oh I'm sure that happens all the time. One doesn't know the real pressure until you are the first couple groups off at a THP event .... all eyes on you! Great fun though!

I was playing in a scramble a couple years ago and the course had a bridge over a creek, the bridge was old, and had a sign "Absolutely one cart at a time on bridge" well...
There was a couple carts, each loaded with 3 of the largest people I've ever seen on a golf course...

well. The bridge broke, and they fell cart and all about 15 feet down to the creek. It was a sight.

Now that is an "Americas Funniest Home Videos" event ... too bad you didn't have it on camera. That would have won you some $$$$

1, 2, 3, 5, 8 and 9.

It wasn't a club I lost, but I dropped by SeeMore head cover and fortunately it was found later on that day. And #8 wasn't a shank for me, but my tee shot went left then I rushed to finish the hole. It sucked. As far as #10 goes.....hahahahahaha! That makes for an interesting visual!

Friend of mine earlier this year hit a thin, low bullet, right off the set of teemarkers in front of him, and came back and almost hit us. He hit his second shot from behind the entire tee box. Was hilarious. And of course there was a group waiting to hit (was on a par 3) and saw the whole thing.

Not finding a ball after hitting a 'perfect' tee shot definitely ranks up there with me.

~Rock

warming up and shanked one so badly it hit a bag stand to my right and ricocheted back ... nearly hitting my partner. yes, I nearly hit a guy on the driving range! "No, I don't know where that ball came from! Some knucklehead over on that other fairway must have hit over here!" :banghead:

Not finding a ball after hitting a 'perfect' tee shot definitely ranks up there with me.

~Rock

This has to be the most frustrating thing in the golfing universe.

I would add hitting it OB or in the water in a pure stroke play tourney. Horrible feeling and you know you are going to walk off with a big number. Watched a single digit handicap last year take a 9 on a par 3 on the first day of a 3 day stroke play tourney (our club championship). On an island green hit it in the water, then to the drop area off a tight lie and disaster, 3 in 4 out, 5 in 6 out, 7 on the green and a 2 putt. Might as well go home at that point.

I would add hitting it OB or in the water in a pure stroke play tourney. Horrible feeling and you know you are going to walk off with a big number. Watched a single digit handicap last year take a 9 on a par 3 on the first day of a 3 day stroke play tourney (our club championship). On an island green hit it in the water, then to the drop area off a tight lie and disaster, 3 in 4 out, 5 in 6 out, 7 on the green and a 2 putt. Might as well go home at that point.

That sounds like at least one hole of every round I play.

Hitting your second shot into a hazard. Really puts you behind the 8 ball.

These are just some that I can think of ... in no particular order. Please feel free to add to the list. Either from your own experiences or it may be something you have seen happen.

1. Hitting OB off the 1st Tee - You have just spent 30 - 45 minutes warming up on the range ... you feel you are good and warmed up, ready to get the round going. The first hole has OB down both sides of the fairway so it takes a precise shot right down the middle. You proceed to duck hook it or sky one off the toe right into the trees. Time to Reload! Guess I wasn't warmed up after all.
I did that Saturday at the live event!

I probably should warm up more often. At the local course there is a pond next to the tee box on the left and I've seen balls hit into it but I never have. Forty-five minutes before the tee time I am more likely to be getting out of the shower than on the range...

Hitting your second shot into a hazard. Really puts you behind the 8 ball.

The last round of 2015, the 2nd shot on the 2nd hole, I bladed a 6 iron into a creek. Took a 7. Went on to shoot a season's best 83 and lost by two to my playing partner who shot a course personal best 81. That stunk, knowing I blew it that early in the round.

That sounds like at least one hole of every round I play.

Ha. We've definitely all had those moments. But usually you just pick up and move onto the next hole and laugh about it. Not as fun when you have to keep on swinging.

1. cold top the tee shot on the first tee of a scramble and it only goes 2". I really can play better than this guys.
2. Playing with the speed golfer. I hit my first tee shot into a group of trees on the first hole. I'm playing with the club captain. "I see it. Let's go ladies!" She piles into her cart and off they go. I want to hit another ball just because I know better. My third shot may have gone in the fairway and I'd be hitting 4 about 100 yds further down. It took me three strokes just to get out of that mess. I ended up with a 115 that day. Rush rush rush.
3. Blocking 6 provisionals into the woods before one finally is playable
4. At a THP event, skulling your GW over the green onto the next tee that's about 40 feet below the green. Then having your come back LW land on the green and roll into the pot bunker right near the steep wall. Pick up and take an X8 for pace of play.
5. Having your ball land in a divot in a wet bunker. Not a regular scratched out divot, but a trough. The only way out is to have your club head fit exactly in that trough. You're going to miss. You try it. You actually hit the ball but it doesn't get out, and it rolls right back into the trough which is now deeper. However you now see that your ball is resting in casual water which means you get to go to the NPR and drop within 1 club length. However, due to the firmness of the bunker the ball rolls into the trough and back into the water which allows you to place the ball after the second drop. You fail to get out on the second try. The correct solution in this case would have been to pick up your ball, rake the bunker, replace your ball, hit out, and add two strokes for "testing the sand."
6. You're 165 yds from the water and decide to lay up. You hit your 8 iron which has a 140 carry with about a 10 yd roll out under normal conditions. It lands squarely on a sprinkler head and bounces into the water hazard.
7. You're hitting over a tree and hit a beautiful 9 iron shot toward the green and it catches the tip of a small branch near the top and deflects across the fairway landing 4" out of bounds.
8. You're hitting a knockdown out of the woods, you mishit and it hits a tree, then another tree, then another tree, then hits you and ends up further in the woods than it was before you hit it.

I probably should warm up more often. At the local course there is a pond next to the tee box on the left and I've seen balls hit into it but I never have. Forty-five minutes before the tee time I am more likely to be getting out of the shower than on the range...

The last round of 2015, the 2nd shot on the 2nd hole, I bladed a 6 iron into a creek. Took a 7. Went on to shoot a season's best 83 and lost by two to my playing partner who shot a course personal best 81. That stunk, knowing I blew it that early in the round.

I can't blame lack of warmup when I do it on the 16th.

Morgan Cup
1st hole
Cameras rolling

Guilty. Fewer people watching though.

On the bright side, how many people can say they had the director of marketing for a major equipment company fetch their ball out of the weeds for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Unable to Find the ball after a perfect T-shot - you just striped one down the fairway ... that should be perfect, you say to yourself. Walk down to just inside the 150 ... 'it should be right here' .... NOPE. "Well maybe I hit it better than I thought, let's look down at the end of the fairway" .... NOPE ... GONE! The golfing demon has swallowed up the perfect shot down the middle.

6. Perfect Drive down the middle only to find it in a Divot -
this one irks me but it's the nature of the game. Most of us move the ball with Winter Rules in place but when it comes to playing it out of the divot when it comes time to when it really counts ... you have to know how to play it and most don't .... I guess it just comes down to thinking man "why did I deserve that after a perfect tee shot."
Man I HATE when these happen!! Always baffling when you hit it down the middle and can't find it - some kind of bermuda triangle thing or what?! And don't EVEN get me started on having to play your ball out of a divot in the fairway ...

Yup, been there once or twice on some of those

I've done them all except No.10. Still have my teeth! :D

Back