Top 5 / Bottom 5 Players

Golfers Anonymous

Just Decent
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Thought this would be interesting reading a few of the other threads so here it is: List your favorite 5 players and then your least favorite players. No rules, any era, any tour. (@Jman you may use more if needed 😉) List any reason why as well.

Top:
Jack Nicklaus (18)
Ben Hogan (Work ethic, ball striking)
Lee Trevino (Charisma, outlook)
Henrik Stenson (ball striking)
Webb Simpson (individual swing)

Bottom:
Gary Player (self obsessed)
Patrick Reed (whole other thread pertains)
BAD (smartest guy in the room mentality)
Ian Poulter (Ryder Cup)
Jessica Korda (caddie incident)

Top:
Ben Hogan - Badass. I wish there was more footage available.
Tiger Woods - GOAT.
Inbee Park - I know, I know... but she's like the silent assassin. No emotion, just good golf. I can't help but root for her.
Justin Thomas.
Brittany Lincicome - Doesn't seem to take herself or the game too seriously. Seems happy just to be playing golf.

Bottom:
Sergio Garcia
Brooks Koepka
Lexi Thompson
Phil Mickelson
Jason Day/Patrick Reed/Keegan Bradley/Ian Poulter... too many to choose just one more.

Last edited:
Top 5:
Phil Mickelson
Bobby Jones
Jason Day
Julius Boros
Ernie Els

Bottom 5:
Fred Couples
Sergio Garcia
Bubba Watson
Jordan Speith
Bryson DeChambeau

#1. Arnold Palmer
#2. Tiger Woods
#3. Tom Watson
#4. Ben Hogan
#5. Chi Chi Rodriguez

Bottom
#1. Phil Mickelson
#2. Sergio Garcia
#3. Ricky Fowler
#4. Bubba Watson
#5. Julius Boros

Last edited:
#1. Arnold Palmer
#2. Tiger Woods
#3. Tom Watson
#4. Ben Hogan
#5. Chi Chi Rodriguez

Bottom
#1. Phil Mickelson
#2. Sergio Garcia
#3. Ricky Fowler
#4. Bubba Watson
#5. Julius Boris
I can remember writing a speech about golf in like first or second grade and i used a hand drawn picture on poster board of Chi Chi for my display. I was nervous as hell for that speech but thanks for the memories anyways.

1) Tiger - Love watching greatness. Only a few athletes ever can touch him
2) Rory - Great player and great attitude, always enjoy his interviews
3) Phil - Cracks me up and love his short game
4) Morikawa - Great game and demeanor and is going to be awesome for golf
5) Koepka - Honestly some days I hate him but I love his competitiveness and honesty and that he approaches the game like an athlete.

Bottom:
1) Patrick Reed - Entitled arrogant cheating goon
2) Sergio - Hate the outbursts
3) Bubba Watson - Honestly not completely sure why just rubs me the wrong way
4) Poulter - My college rugby team was working the parking lot at a tournament and he was very rude to me lol
5) Kuchar - Caddie incident and just doesn’t need seem genuine

Top:
1. Tiger Woods - Love everything about his play. The ups and downs. He inspired me to play.
2. Arnold Palmer - I can't look at him and not see my grandfather.
3. Lydia Ko - I just like her.
4. Rory Mcilroy - I like Rory's heart. When he's in a slump, you can see how it eats away at him. He really seems to care.
5. Freddie Couples - The guy's a legend. How can you not like him?

Bottom:
1.Pat Perez - Flat bills. Enough said.
2.Jack Nicklaus - Cannot stand to listen to this man's ego talk out of his ass.
3.Patrick Reed - no words necessary.
4.Bubba Watson - I just don't like him.
5.Bryson DeChambeau - Not a fan of his approach to changing the game. It would be one thing if he just did his thing, and that was that. Instead he thinks he's some sort of visionary - Speaks of why his way is better, and how he thinks. Dude you've got a bachelor's degree in physics from SMU. You're not Neils Bohr, settle down.

Last edited:
Top:
Ben Hogan
Ben Crenshaw
Georgia Hall
Arnold Palmer
Brooks Koepka

Bottom:
Phil Mickelson
Sergio Garcia
DL III
Paul Azinger (mainly because of his work as an announcer)
Phil Mickelson (I couldn't think of another player that I really dislike so he gets two spots)

Top:
1) Phil Mickelson - One of the greats, funny, personable, amazing short game.
2) Lee Trevino - Another very funny, personable guy.
3) Miguel Ángel Jiménez - "The most interesting man in golf". Love his outlook on golf and life in general.
4) Rickie Fowler - Personable, sets a good example for youth who look up to him.
5) Arnold Palmer - He's Arnold Palmer! :LOL:

Bottom:
1) Tiger Woods - Arrogant, has always been a Richard to fans, media, etc. I don't deny his greatness as a player - I just don't like him.
2) Patrick Reed - Cheater, alleged thief in his college days, bad teammate, terrible attitude. Just not a good dude.
3) Bubba Watson - Acts like an a**h**e most of the time, then pulls his God Squad routine to try to prove he's actually a good guy. And that top-buttoned polo, mullet and visor.
4) Sergio Garcia - Overgrown man-child, has temper tantrums like a three year old.
5) Dustin Johnson - Zero personality, total IDGAF attitude, seems like he's stoned most of the time.

Top:
Jack Nicklaus (GOAT)
Ben Hogan (Swing, class, and toughness)
Arnold Palmer (charisma, style, aproachable)
Bobby Jones (historic)
Tiger Woods (changed the game in so many ways)
Honorable mention - Annika Sörenstam

Bottom: (no real reason, I just never liked these guys)
Curtis Strange
David Duval
Ian Poulter
Davis Love III
Judge Elihu Smails
Honorable mention - Nick Faldo

Can’t believe we’ve gotten this far without a Johnny Miller mention.

hmm this is impossible. But here goes.
Arnie Nicklaus
Tiger Hogan
Payne Ballesteros
Nancy Trevino
Freddy Crenshaw

BOTTOM
Fuzzy Reed
Ian Montgomery
Sergio Mickelson
Sir Nick Norman
Keegan Daly

Last edited:
Interesting to see Phil 50/50 on the love and hate columns

Can’t believe we’ve gotten this far without a Johnny Miller mention.
I'm kinda surprised that Gary Player has only shown up in one "Bottom" list too.

I just went with who I actually watched play during their careers (in no particular order):

1. Tom Watson
2. Tiger
3. Greg Norman
4. Ernie Els
5. Payne Stewart

5. Woody Austin
4. Ian Poulter
3. Patrick Reed
2. Mickelson
1. Sergio

Top:
Tom Watson - was on top of the golf world during my formative years in the game (late 70s-early 80s); great short game & putter.
Corey Pavin - loved his game, short hitter who had to really hit 'golf shots'; worked the ball around the course, great short game & putter.
Paul Azinger - thin, lanky, & quirky guy with 'short, ugly swing' always reminded me of myself & my short, ugly swing.
Fred Couples - silky smooth, effortless looking swing. Loved watching him just hit the ball.
Byron Nelson - total gentleman and class act. Had the best year ever that will never be matched (18 total wins, 11 in a row)

Bottom:
Short list for me, there have been guys i don't like over the years but can't really remember why, it seems silly to 'hate' any PGA tour pro because they are all so talented & leave me in awe of how well they play this game. If i must name some i'll say...
Sabbatini - rubs me the wrong way, vague memory of him being controversial (slow play?)
DL III - always seemed elitist & snobbish to me

These are really in no particular order

1. Palmer
2. Seve
3. Tiger
4. Jumbo Ozaki - look it up. No golfer made more money than him during his day.
5. Snead

Bottom
1. Faldo
2. Faxon
3. Reed
4. Norman
5. Garcia / Daly

Interesting to see Phil 50/50 on the love and hate columns
My thoughts exactly it’s a love him or hate him relation not much room in between.

5 Favorite:

Tiger Woods
- Was following him as an amateur and told everyone this was the next big thing. In my small hometown full of white people (and racism) no one thought he was worth a lick. I loved it every single time he took a dagger to their simple minded ideas.

Webb Simpson - Man of faith, short knocker, plays old man golf on Tour. What's not to love?

Nick Price - Never liked Greg Norman and when Price made a run in the mid 90's and overtook Norman as world #1 I thought it was awesome.

Justin Thomas - Local kid from my hometown of the last 22 years Louisville, KY. Great player and can get hot and charge a leaderboard on a Saturday or Sunday unlike any of the younger guys on Tour.

Jordan Spieth - Great kid, and I wish he was playing better. He kind of has a Peter Parker vibe to him where he's just never quite sure how he feels about himself. I really hope he gets his game back.

5 Least Favorite:

Greg Norman
: Never liked him at all. He just never delivered in big events. I like Rory, but his career seems headed in the same direction as Norman's. Hope he gets his stuff together.

Bryson DeChambeau: Just no. Watching a player drive it 50-70 yards from the pin on 400 par 4's over and over and then hitting pitch shots for 30',40' and 50' foot birdie putts is maddening. It proves that science is good at explaining the limits of things, but it can't help you hit touch shots.

Vijay Singh - Saw him treat a range worker at the PGA Championship extremely poorly here at Valhalla. Heard from volunteers that's the norm. Never fond of people who treat people poorly.

Brooks Koepka - I just hate the Schtick. He is like every obnoxious jock I knew in high school. Hopefully he got some humble pie last weekend. He needed it badly. Grow up Brooks.

Colin Montgomerie - It's like snobby royal from Downton Abbey plays golf.

I have never heard of Julius Bros, but he made both a top 5 and a bottom 5 list.

5 Favorite:

Tiger Woods
- Was following him as an amateur and told everyone this was the next big thing. In my small hometown full of white people (and racism) no one thought he was worth a lick. I loved it every single time he took a dagger to their simple minded ideas.

Webb Simpson - Man of faith, short knocker, plays old man golf on Tour. What's not to love?

Nick Price - Never liked Greg Norman and when Price made a run in the mid 90's and overtook Norman as world #1 I thought it was awesome.

Justin Thomas - Local kid from my hometown of the last 22 years Louisville, KY. Great player and can get hot and charge a leaderboard on a Saturday or Sunday unlike any of the younger guys on Tour.

Jordan Spieth - Great kid, and I wish he was playing better. He kind of has a Peter Parker vibe to him where he's just never quite sure how he feels about himself. I really hope he gets his game back.

5 Least Favorite:

Greg Norman
: Never liked him at all. He just never delivered in big events. I like Rory, but his career seems headed in the same direction as Norman's. Hope he gets his stuff together.

Bryson DeChambeau: Just no. Watching a player drive it 50-70 yards from the pin on 400 par 4's over and over and then hitting pitch shots for 30',40' and 50' foot birdie putts is maddening. It proves that science is good at explaining the limits of things, but it can't help you hit touch shots.

Vijay Singh - Saw him treat a range worker at the PGA Championship extremely poorly here at Valhalla. Heard from volunteers that's the norm. Never fond of people who treat people poorly.

Brooks Koepka - I just hate the Schtick. He is like every obnoxious jock I knew in high school. Hopefully he got some humble pie last weekend. He needed it badly. Grow up Brooks.

Colin Montgomerie - It's like snobby royal from Downton Abbey plays golf.
I have only been following the PGA for a few years but I have heard a lot of bad things about Vijay. Our college rugby team used to work the parking lot at the tournament in Tucson every year. One year I heard a rumor that Vijay erupted at local organizers because his hotel was too far from the course. Apparently was very rude to them and threatened to not play if they didn't get him a helicopter to and from the course. No tolerance for people that treat others that poorly.

Top 5

Tiger
Trevino
Chi Chi
Annika
Ochoa

Bottom 5

Seve
Sergio
Rory S
Jordan S
Poulter

Top 5
Tiger - GOAT
Ian Poulter - Europe’s greatest Ryder Cup player shame his an Arsenal fan.
Rory - good guy, right temperament.
Seve - legend
Ernie Els - could watch him swing all day

Bottom 5
Zach johnson - just don’t like him
Keegan Bradley - see above
Patrick Reed - 🍆
Bubba Watson - lefty and there’s just something I don’t like about him
Paul Azinger - because he’s Paul Azinger.

One reason I don’t like Bubba is that he buttons the top button on his golf shirts. 😂

Top 5
Tiger Woods
- Most kids who grew up in late 90s / early 2000s can relate. I didn't even like golf that much and I was still a Tiger fan. Funnily enough, my first impression of Tiger was that he was an arrogant jerk - not sure what changed my mind but I quickly became a fan.

Rory McIlroy - Love his game and speaks his mind without coming across as fake/douchey (cough Koepka cough)

David Duval - One of the few rounds of golf I remember watching as a kid was Duval's 59. Been a fan ever since - literally no other reason.

Bryson DeChambeau - Only became a fan of late, but I like that he has his own approach to the game and doesn't care what others think. His antics are sometimes ridiculous but the fact that he draws the ire of so many golf purists more than makes for it.

Phil Mickelson - Its fun watching a guy who can't hit the broad side of a barn hitting the dumbest shots in the world from places you didn't even know existed on the course. Good day or bad day he's one of the most interesting players to watch.

Bottom 5
Paul Azinger
- My least favourite golfer by far. Can't help himself from expressing idiotic viewpoints on things he is completely ignorant about, and his god awful announcing certainly hasn't boosted my opinion of him.

Vijay Singh - Big time cheater on the Asian Tour, and generally comes across as a bitter person. Admittedly the fact he was often in competition against Tiger probably didn't help my perception of him.

Brooks Koepka - I might have been able to overlook him mouthing off and being an ass if I actually believed it was genuine. His fan group is one of the more obnoxious ones imo.

Cristie Kerr - Too many stories from too many different people saying that she may as well be real life Regina George. I could totally see it too.

Phil Mickelson - His politeness is totally phony. In reality he's incredibly pompous and thin-skinned (kicking that dude who yelled FIGJAM after he hit).

If you can't tell I very much have a love/hate relationship with Phil. I find myself cheering for him to win or hoping he totally blows up lol.

Back