Top Professionals Using Anser/Blade Style Putter?

mhuelsman131

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been pondering this question for a little while now as I tinker with my putting during the offseason. It seems to me that the majority of top professionals use an anser style blade putter. The top of the world rankings are fairly split between mallets/blades, but going back over the last 5-10 years of major champions, nearly all of them used a heel/toe weighted blade putter. Is there something about a blade putter and having an arc type stroke that is so beneficial that so many of the top players in the world use it? I could just be crazy and over-thinking it, but it makes me wonder if I'm missing out on something.

I've been pondering this question for a little while now as I tinker with my putting during the offseason. It seems to me that the majority of top professionals use an anser style blade putter. The top of the world rankings are fairly split between mallets/blades, but going back over the last 5-10 years of major champions, nearly all of them used a heel/toe weighted blade putter. Is there something about a blade putter and having an arc type stroke that is so beneficial that so many of the top players in the world use it? I could just be crazy and over-thinking it, but it makes me wonder if I'm missing out on something.

I'd say they like the classic look more than anything

Yeah, other than Adam Scott I can't think of anyone else who used a non-classic look putter.

Jason Day?

High MOI putters, mallet putters, etc. tend to compensate for flaws in your stroke more than a blade style putter. In other words, a lot of those guys have great strokes, so they don't need anything else.

op referenced major champions over the last 5-10 years. how about adam scott, keegan bradley, webb simpson, phil mickelson, maybe padraig harrington at the time, and maybe vijay singh at the time.

i think mplefty is right: it's just what they're used to. i think pretty much everyone's first putter is an anser-style putter, so if you start with that and learn to putt well with that, there's no real reason to change.

If you're also asking - "Should I use an answer-style putter because so many pros do?" I would say not necessarily. Based on my experience with SeeMore putters, and having started with large mallets and gradually going to a smaller head, I will say that I think the most consistent way to make a repeatable putting swing is a slight arc. To actually go straight back & straight through on a straight "target" line requires a lot of manipulating the club face. Just like a normal swing with an iron, the putter head moves on a tilted circle, but to our eyes it may appear to be "straight-back-straight through" (see this video of Kostis using his Putting Professor as an example):

I do believe that the best shape is one that allows itself to be face-balanced at impact. (If you hold this kind of putter horizontally, the head should freely rotate rather than hang at one particular orientation. See the SeeMore site for more info). I'm putting better than ever using this style of putter. I imagine other manufacturers might have these kind of putters but it would be hit-or-miss.

op referenced major champions over the last 5-10 years. how about adam scott, keegan bradley, webb simpson, phil mickelson, maybe padraig harrington at the time, and maybe vijay singh at the time.

i think mplefty is right: it's just what they're used to. i think pretty much everyone's first putter is an anser-style putter, so if you start with that and learn to putt well with that, there's no real reason to change.

Also this! Seems like really good young golfers want to have the same traditional look & most are unwilling to use anything much out of the ordinary.

Comfort. You have to remember, many of them came up in the heyday of the Anser taking golf by storm. Typically if you're raised around a shape, it becomes more comfortable and fits your eye better. I don't think there's anything more than comfort for them.

The need for massive amounts of MOI in putters is overstated.

I will add that I believe matching a head to stroke shape over thought. I think stroke shapes in general are over thought.

The need for massive amounts of MOI in putters is overstated.

Agreed, while I appreciate what MOI does, I'm one who has NEVER understood how someone can have such severe misses on the face of a putter...its a putting stroke, not a full swing people...

JMO, of course.

I agree with both Hawk and Blue. I always loved the #9 head shape, but was scared/intimidated to use it. I finally bit the bullet in the fall of 2013 and I've never putted better in my life.

I agree with both Hawk and Blue. I always loved the #9 head shape, but was scared/intimidated to use it. I finally bit the bullet in the fall of 2013 and I've never putted better in my life.
Whose this "blue" fellow?

Comfort. You have to remember, many of them came up in the heyday of the Anser taking golf by storm. Typically if you're raised around a shape, it becomes more comfortable and fits your eye better. I don't think there's anything more than comfort for them.

I've been using an Anser putter for 25 years, and have no interest in changing

I think its what matches the stroke. GMAC is one of the best putters as is Brandt Snedeker and they both use mid mallet. Then again Tiger in his prime was the best putter maybe in history and he had a blade. (He probably couldve putted with a shovel and still done well)

Also note that Rickie Fowler and flip flopped between a GOLO Mallet and a Blade. Rory had a Mid Mallet Blade design for a couple years (Believe he is gaming a blade now)

Heres a good list - let me know if Im wrong on any of these:

Blade:
Rory
Tiger
Spieth
Walker
Stenson
Fowler
Stricker
Bubba
Dustin Johnson
Martin Kaymer

Mid Mallet or Other design (Non Blade)
GMAC
Brandt Snedeker
Jason Day
Sergio Garcia
Phil Mickelson
Adam Scott
Webb Simpson
Jim Furyk
Justin Rose
Matt Kuchar

You could also list the same names from best to worst as far as putters go... I think we will notice its not the type of putter that makes you a good putter but the confidence the player has. Its almost always the indian not the arrow

GMAC (MM)
Sneds (MM)
Walker (B)
Day (MM)
Kuchar (MM)
Fowler (B)
Stricker (B)
Rory (B)
Tiger (B)
Stenson (B)
Kaymer (B)
Spieth (B)
D Johnson (B)
Scott (MM)
Simpson (MM)
Rose (MM)
Bubba (B)
Garcia (MM)
Mickelson (MM)

High MOI putters, mallet putters, etc. tend to compensate for flaws in your stroke more than a blade style putter. In other words, a lot of those guys have great strokes, so they don't need anything else.

I agree. That is why I keep it simple as well. Mallets of today are way too busy for me.

I started playing golf with a Ping Anser putter when I was a kid. I have tried a few of the mallet style putters common today but I always go back to a blade. Just my preference.

Just as with amateurs, it's all preference. Most of these guys more than likely grew up putting with blade style putters, which then translates to continuing to use them throughout your career and on tour since they were probably very successful with them growing up.

I have tried both when I first started playing. Finally settled with a blade. I like a blade because I can soften the roll by hitting toward the toe on short slick down hill putts. I can play it toward the heel to straighten out a short putt also. I have a Wilson blade from the early 1960s that I just love the look of it. However it has a sweet spot the size of a pinhead in a weird spot. I have tried and tried to use it but gave up on it. It's in the putter graveyard bag in the garage.

Not that I am a tour caliber putter...or even as good as a really good 7 year old junior golfer...but I have only ever owned blade style. I haven't put very much time into trying any type of mallets...because I get frustrated pretty quickly every time I use a mallet style...just can get my eye comfy looking down on something that big and odd shaped, and have no idea what kind of speed is going to come from any stroke....I whack a few twice as far as I think they should go, then that gets in my head and I decelerate to compensate. I have rolled 20-30 putts with a few different mallets and you would think that after 30 back to back to back at 8 feet or so that I would get the speed somewhat tuned in....but nope.

i prefer anser-style, but i'm gaming a non-traditional mallet right now only because i'm experimenting (completely lost with putting right now), and this was an inexpensive test. if i stick with arm lock, i'll probably go with the bettinardi kuchar #1 to back to anser-style.

Back