Topping Hybrid and FairwayWood

coers

@andrewcoers
Reaction score
Groveland,IL Central Illinois/Just south of Peoria
Handicap
I got a new Cobra 3/4 Hybrid and 3/4 Wood and I keep topping the ball like crazy. I brought the back further back in my stance but when I do that i seem to have a low flight and ofcourse some slice. I keep my I on the back of the ball and have slowed my downswing some up so I don't try and crush it. So is there any good tips or any good youtube videos that will help me out big time on not topping these and also get some good mid/high flight?

You could be sliding forward upon impact. Try imagining coiling your body around your torso tightly on both your back swing and follow through.

Hybrids want us to hit down through the ball just like with an iron. Any chance you are coming up and out of the swing?

Hybrids want us to hit down through the ball just like with an iron. Any chance you are coming up and out of the swing?
Well I dont feel like Im coming up. I keep my eye on the ball and don't move my head. I feel pretty steady through the whole swing. How much bend should your knees have when your hitting these?

Get some video & you'll be able to see what is going on. When I have done it, as Tequila4Kapp said, it has been me coming out/standing up. Since I have worked at rotating & staying "down on the ball" I get great contact. Good luck solving the mystery!

Get some video & you'll be able to see what is going on. When I have done it, as Tequila4Kapp said, it has been me coming out/standing up. Since I have worked at rotating & staying "down on the ball" I get great contact. Good luck solving the mystery!

Thanks man. Yeah next time I'm out I'll try and have some one video. Is it better to get it from side or back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Thanks man. Yeah next time I'm out I'll try and have some one video. Is it better to get it from side or back.

You can sit the phone on your bag or on the cart facing your belt buckle. Make sure it's far away enough to get the ground & the top of your swing. I have wedged my phone & camera between clubs in my stand bag many times. Put it on youtube then link it back here in the Swing Tips section for Tadashi to see

ok man I will try, I have always had issues trying to set my phone up on my pull cart or bag. But i will get it done next time.
You can sit the phone on your bag or on the cart facing your belt buckle. Make sure it's far away enough to get the ground & the top of your swing. I have wedged my phone & camera between clubs in my stand bag many times. Put it on youtube then link it back here in the Swing Tips section for Tadashi to see

There are a few reasons for topping the ball.
1. Short arming through impact.
2. Coming out of the swing. And this doesn't mean your head is coming up. You chest could be opening to soon.
3. You right leg is straightening up on your back swing and changing you swing path

Moving the ball back is not the solution. Play the ball am inch in front of your belly button. You can swing level through the zone or you can have a negative angle and hit down on it. Either way, be sure to hit the ball with the back of your left hand.

2. Coming out of the swing. And this doesn't mean your head is coming up. You chest could be opening to soon.
3. You right leg is straightening up on your back swing and changing you swing path

Moving the ball back is not the solution. Play the ball am inch in front of your belly button. You can swing level through the zone or you can have a negative angle and hit down on it. Either way, be sure to hit the ball with the back of your left hand.

Thanks for those tips and thoughts Freddie. I will try my hardest and try to implement them next time out.

Similar to what others have said, a "topped" shot may not be a in fact a "top" shot. We know the definition as hitting above the equator of the golf ball with the club as a topped shot. In reality you could be catching the ball severely off the heel of the club.

I would imagine if you are only seeing this result with the hybrid and not any other clubs during your range session you're likely catching it off the heel the majority of the time, although you could be hitting a traditional topped shot.

I agree with Tadashi, play the golf ball with a hybrid similar to where you would a mid iron. I'm an advocate of hitting down slightly on a hybrid as they are designed to be played that way, rather than a sweeping arc similar to a fairway wood. Focus on your posture and turn through the hitting area to not allow your hands to move towards the ball on the downswing so that you are not bringing the heel of the club in to play. Imagine you're hitting a mid-iron rather than a hybrid and see how it works. Good luck!

Similar to what others have said, a "topped" shot may not be a in fact a "top" shot. We know the definition as hitting above the equator of the golf ball with the club as a topped shot. In reality you could be catching the ball severely off the heel of the club.

I would imagine if you are only seeing this result with the hybrid and not any other clubs during your range session you're likely catching it off the heel the majority of the time, although you could be hitting a traditional topped shot.

I agree with Tadashi, play the golf ball with a hybrid similar to where you would a mid iron. I'm an advocate of hitting down slightly on a hybrid as they are designed to be played that way, rather than a sweeping arc similar to a fairway wood. Focus on your posture and turn through the hitting area to not allow your hands to move towards the ball on the downswing so that you are not bringing the heel of the club in to play. Imagine you're hitting a mid-iron rather than a hybrid and see how it works. Good luck!

Yea I sometimes do hit off the heal but I think my problem is maybe my body. I seen last night theschool of golf guy on the golf channel said you could also be cocking your wrist during your swing.

You could be losing your spine angle even if your head doesn't move. Its called early extension or hip thrust. I suffer from it at times too. There are lots of drills to work on it, one I can recommend is hitting wedges flat footed.

I've just got the Amp Cell 3/4 too and right from the off I imagined it was a 7 iron and I've been hitting it better and better since I began with it, personally found that having the club more upright has helped with the angle of my downswing. Good luck with it, it's a killer club once you get it!

Yea I sometimes do hit off the heal but I think my problem is maybe my body. I seen last night theschool of golf guy on the golf channel said you could also be cocking your wrist during your swing.

You should definitely be setting or "cocking" your wrists during each swing, unfortunately I didn't get to see the episode last night so I'm lost on the context. If you could get a side view aka down-the-line video of your swing that would be very helpful to determine lower body movement in your swing.

It was on youtube that i found this. http://youtu.be/3u-xaNw_tbU Check it out and see what you think.
You should definitely be setting or "cocking" your wrists during each swing, unfortunately I didn't get to see the episode last night so I'm lost on the context. If you could get a side view aka down-the-line video of your swing that would be very helpful to determine lower body movement in your swing.

QFT, excellent insight as always Freddie!!!

It was on youtube that i found this. http://youtu.be/3u-xaNw_tbU Check it out and see what you think.

Just watched the video, he was talking about fixes for hitting to low or high, missing right or left. Nothing about wrist hinge. Maybe the wrong video?

The first part is talking about bowing your wrist. I mean Im not getting anything in the air with the wood and hybrid, all staying low if I hit it.
Just watched the video, he was talking about fixes for hitting to low or high, missing right or left. Nothing about wrist hinge. Maybe the wrong video?

My guess is you are coming up out of the swing. Try to keep your head down all the way through impact while also trying to keep your lower body a tad more still. This should prevent you from popping up out of your stance and should lead to contact on the clubface.

See I think I keep my head pretty steady and not come up.But I guess next time ill play and video myself ill find out. I got a visitation tonight or I would be out on the range taping me hitting my woods and hybrids.
My guess is you are coming up out of the swing. Try to keep your head down all the way through impact while also trying to keep your lower body a tad more still. This should prevent you from popping up out of your stance and should lead to contact on the clubface.

The video has nothing to do with your issue. Plus his fixes are all based on a solid swing path. Those tips don't work if the fundamentals are lacking.

The video has nothing to do with your issue. Plus his fixes are all based on a solid swing path. Those tips don't work if the fundamentals are lacking.

Ok I will disregard it then

Ok I got out tonight and I got two videos of me hitting my 3 woods. I didn't top them, but they were still bad shots. I think I topped like 3 balls tonight with the three wood in the fairway.

Last edited:
Back