Topping with short irons

RKhan

Reaction score
Handicap
I am a 6 handicapper. Sometimes on a bad day when I am not swinging smoothly, I start topping the short irons (9, PW, SW) and cannot figure out what is going on. Normally I place the ball in the centre or little right. There is no divot. I feel that I am failing to complete the backswing and also do not shift the weight on to the left foot on the downswing. There is no rolling over of the wrists on the downswing and I fail to finish high with chest pointing to the target.

Any tips or suggestions on how to avoid topping the short irons.

I run into this problem a lot as well. I usually move the ball forward in my stance which makes you swing down and through. Other than that just make sure you keep your spine angle and don't stand up and try to do too much with it

I think with short irons sometimes we tend to get kind of lazy. We know they should be easy to hit and it's more about the control rather than just swinging all out. I've had this come up from time to time on the range and the big thing you need to remind yourself is that you still need to make the swing. You can't just stand over the ball and go through the motions by swinging your arms. The end result is that you get to the top and start chopping wood rather than swinging a golf club.

Whenever it happens, remind yourself to take a full swing and make a good rotation and go through the proper motions rather than just going through the motions. Even go as far as to overdo it by taking it back slow and make sure you are getting a good full turn so you can get the club going through the ball properly. After a while you'll get the feel back and all will be normal again.

I see the Pro's on the PGA tour and they swing so sweetly with the short irons it is sheer pleasure to watch them. I wonder how they do it? When I swing slowly I usually do not complete the swing, hit with teh hands, there is no follow through resulting in a top or a fade or a slice.

Move the ball up in your stance. More left of center. And remember to hit off of your left side.

Not to take joy in your misery, but it is nice to hear a single digit capper have troubles with this.

Single digit players have more troubles as they get involved with the swing mechanics and technicalities and forget to just swing.
On the topping issue when i break my wrist beyond horizontal on the top of the backswing I normally do not top. But I feel it is not correct to swing a short iron so much. The 90 degrees angle should be formed at the 3 a clock position. The short irons should be played with shoulders by keeping the triangle intact.

Single digit players have more troubles as they get involved with the swing mechanics and technicalities and forget to just swing.
On the topping issue when i break my wrist beyond horizontal on the top of the backswing I normally do not top. But I feel it is not correct to swing a short iron so much. The 90 degrees angle should be formed at the 3 a clock position. The short irons should be played with shoulders by keeping the triangle intact.

Ok. I approach the short iron swing with the same mechanics as any full swing. Driver or 9 iron, the mechanics of the swing don't change for me. I just swing the club.

But what do I know, I'm not a single digit capper.

Far from a +6, but I just move a little closer to the ball and make sure I don't raise my stance the slightest bit. Works for me, but I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

I run into this problem a lot as well. I usually move the ball forward in my stance which makes you swing down and through. Other than that just make sure you keep your spine angle and don't stand up and try to do too much with it
This is good advice IMO. I try to do this when I get the yips.

Back