Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
Many of you are aware my Daughter is having surgery on her wrist on 1/3 to remove a cyst that is causing her pain. Today we found out another member of our family has a torn ACL and will be going under the knife 12/29 to have it repaired.

Our Westie, Max, had been hobbling around favoring his rear right leg for a month or so. After a couple of weeks of taking anti-inflammatories, it got worse, not better. Yesterday, he began walking around on three legs, so Mrs. Esox took him back to the vet. After not feeling a problem while examining him three weeks ago, it apparently now is obvious.

So this will be the Winter of Rehabilitation in the Esox household. Both Max and Junior Lancer will have a rehab buddy.

Kevin

I wish everyone the best and a speedy recovery.

Thoughts and good vibes to your family Kevin. Speedy and great recovery to both JL and Max.

Thats terrible news. Few things in life are worse than rehabing an injury but I'm sure they will all come through with flying colors.

Poor JL and Max. Hopefully they recover quickly and are better than ever.

Sorry to hear it Kevin. Your house is going to be one large recovery room soon. Hope everyone's one the mend soon and all goes well, happy Holidays.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Our thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery to JL and Max!!

Good luck. Take a look at this and you may change your mind. When we were taking Bandit in every couple of weeks to the medvet place, we saw SO many dogs going through this. The TPLO surgery is what I am referring to here. Even our regular vet thinks they do this surgery way too often, as they make a lot of money doing it. Some dodgs need it. A lot of them could do better with a lesser surgery or no surgery. You didn't mention the kind you are having done to Max. Around here the TPLO is about $3000. Hopefully you guys have pet insurance.

http://www.tiggerpoz.com/

I'm going to use this as an opportunity to plug the insurance we got for our dogs: http://www.petinsurance.com/. Charlie (the puppy) is $250 a year, Tara (the 5-year old) is $300 a year.

Thanks for all the support.

The Vet was good about explaining the options. He didn't push the surgery at all. The cost is $900 to $1,100. There is a surgery that is around $3,000, but he doesn't feel the success rate of that is better to the point of going that route. He claims a 90% success rate with the procedure he's going to perform. The key is to keep the dog immobile for the correct period of time to recover.

No dog insurance, unfortunately. Since he's a Scottish breed, we discussed briefly dressing him as a golfer and trying to slip the cost onto our policy, but it seems a little dishonest.

Kevin

I've torn the ACL in both knees as well as some of the other ligaments, so I feel your family's pain.
Encourage them to be vigilant with the rehab and no cheating on it.
I wish them all the best and a speedy recovery.

Sorry your family has to go through this, I can feel your pain. I had a teenager rear end me on the 4th and have to go in for back surgery after the new year.

Hope everything works out well for your family.

Best wishes to the Esox family.

I hope all goes well and the Esox team gets back healthy and strong for 2011!

Hope everyone gets better. At least were not in the middle of sports seasons (unless someone plays basketball) but that still doesn't make it better. Good luck! Get better family!

This is an old thread, but I tend to look at old pet threads when we renew our dogs insurance.

How did the surgery go, Kevin, and how is he doing now?

This is an old thread, but I tend to look at old pet threads when we renew our dogs insurance.

How did the surgery go, Kevin, and how is he doing now?

He was okay for a while, then the "ties" or whatever they were came undone, so it cost a couple hundy more for the vet to redo it. Then he was fine for a while and the other leg was bothering him. That one wasn't bad and we let it heal up. He's a little limpy and always will be I guess, but he's not in pain. He walks fine, but if he tries to really run he'll limp for a bit after. So he can get his walks, but we're careful about him taking off at full speed.

He's unhappy with us because we've been in and out of the house a couple days at a time for the most of the Summer dragging Gracie to tournaments. The neighbor boy lets him out, walks him, and feeds him while we're gone, but he was giving us the stink eye yesterday after being gone for two days.

But he's a good boy. He'll be nine in September, so actually he's more middle aged than I am.

Kevin

He was okay for a while, then the "ties" or whatever they were came undone, so it cost a couple hundy more for the vet to redo it. Then he was fine for a while and the other leg was bothering him. That one wasn't bad and we let it heal up. He's a little limpy and always will be I guess, but he's not in pain. He walks fine, but if he tries to really run he'll limp for a bit after. So he can get his walks, but we're careful about him taking off at full speed.

He's unhappy with us because we've been in and out of the house a couple days at a time for the most of the Summer dragging Gracie to tournaments. The neighbor boy lets him out, walks him, and feeds him while we're gone, but he was giving us the stink eye yesterday after being gone for two days.

But he's a good boy. He'll be nine in September, so actually he's more middle aged than I am.

Kevin

Have you tried "water therapy" i.e. swimming him? Don't know if you have a pool or access to a place where you could swim him.

If yes, put a harness (or doggie life preserver) on him and clip a 15 ft lead to it (unless you'll swim with him). You can walk beside the pool with him on lead swimming and let them strengthen the muscles/tendons without impact or weight bearing.

Thanks for all the support.

The Vet was good about explaining the options. He didn't push the surgery at all. The cost is $900 to $1,100. There is a surgery that is around $3,000, but he doesn't feel the success rate of that is better to the point of going that route. He claims a 90% success rate with the procedure he's going to perform. The key is to keep the dog immobile for the correct period of time to recover.

No dog insurance, unfortunately. Since he's a Scottish breed, we discussed briefly dressing him as a golfer and trying to slip the cost onto our policy, but it seems a little dishonest.

Kevin

Although a 2 year old post, still thought this was quote worthy to verify with everyone that Esox is indeed, an honest man.

Thanks for the update. You think he'd have been about the same had you just let the first one heal up?

Have you tried "water therapy" i.e. swimming him? Don't know if you have a pool or access to a place where you could swim him.

If yes, put a harness (or doggie life preserver) on him and clip a 15 ft lead to it (unless you'll swim with him). You can walk beside the pool with him on lead swimming and let them strengthen the muscles/tendons without impact or weight bearing.

My BIL and SIL have a pool, and we have done it a few times, but it's a bit of a drive. He also hates it. He's a Westy. He likes to dig holes in the dirt, not swim. But my wife was just talking about getting him out there again.

Thanks for the update. You think he'd have been about the same had you just let the first one heal up?

Who knows? But he was in a lot of pain at first, and really wobbly on three legs. My wife wanted it done for him, so it got done.

Kevin

Back