I thought Highland Springs was were Pain Stewart came from? I've always heard that was a nice tract.

Highland was built way after Payne left the area. I think it was around late 80's/early 90's when it was built. He may have played there when he was in the area, but I don't think that was what he grew up on and learned on. There are a couple other older, private courses that were probably his grooming grounds. Hickory Hills is where I think he mostly played as a youngster, but wouldn't swear to it.

Here is a 'its a small world' story about Payne. My P.E. teacher in junior high (I grew up outside of St. Louis) was a student teacher and assistant football coach at Kickapoo H.S. when Payne played football there. My son now goes to that same school.

Highland was built way after Payne left the area. I think it was around late 80's/early 90's when it was built. He may have played there when he was in the area, but I don't think that was what he grew up on and learned on. There are a couple other older, private courses that were probably his grooming grounds. Hickory Hills is where I think he mostly played as a youngster, but wouldn't swear to it.

Here is a 'its a small world' story about Payne. My P.E. teacher in junior high (I grew up outside of St. Louis) was a student teacher and assistant football coach at Kickapoo H.S. when Payne played football there. My son now goes to that same school.

Very cool, thanks for the info.

kapalua - my buddies worked there and id hang out there all the time back in the day...
torrey pines - cant beat the price at 45 bucks so i played there as often as possible...
medinah - my cousin lives 5 mins from there and got me on when we visited...
kingsmill - its just a hop skip and a jump from here...

all of these courses are in great condition even when the tour event isnt there... loved playing on them and are amazed these guys score what they do and understand why they are pros and not me...

my brother has been on many more courses than ive been and the stories are amazing... hopefully i can visit many more

I haven't, but I hope to play the TPC at Deere Run this year, home of the John Deere Classic. Hoping to go with a couple THP'rs.

Harbor Town lives up to the hype and was well worth the price. If you're anywhere near Hilton Head, SC, I highly recommend it. Unlike most Tour courses, it's short enough that it's playable by amateurs (if you're even remotely straight). Can't wait to play it again.

I have played Sawgrass with my Wife about 15 years ago, which was cool. I played Bay Hill 32 years ago. LOL. I've also played Tuckaway Country Club in Franklin, WI where The Greater Milwaukee Open was held for years. There are better country clubs in the area. I've also played Black Wolf Run in Kohler. Ironically, I've never played Brown Deer Park where the Milwaukee tour stop was held for many years after it left Tuckaway, and it's a muni. Haven't popped for Whistling Straits yet. I played Ballybunion in Ireland, I wonder if a big tournament has been played there?

Kevin

I looked at Pebble Beach once.

I played TPC Scottsdale a few years ago. Did not like it at all. I understand during the summer the course wont be as nice at all in AZ but this was like playing in a dirt lot. I want to try it during the fall or spring to get a better idea.

I just played ASU Karsten, is that a tour level course? I loved it. ASU alum and I have never played it until yesterday. Its a trip trying to find the green lol. I had to adjust to actual rough but my BP's were saving the day. Im looking forward to more courses like that.

LOL same here. I walked a few holes but I was just a kid and it was a family vacation. We weren't golfing we just wanted to see the course.

We walked about 5 holes from 18 to 17 to I think 13 and 4 and 3 or something a few years ago. I still have the view from 18 tee as my desktop.

LOL same here. I walked a few holes but I was just a kid and it was a family vacation. We weren't golfing we just wanted to see the course.

Thats why we were there too. Actually, my MOM wanted to go to Carmel? I think. And we took the drive that ended up going to Pebble Beach and I insisted we stop. We looked at 18, I bought what I could afford, a golf towel LOL and looked up at the price to play, which way back when was still over $400. Amazing. How much is it today to play Pebble Beach?

We walked about 5 holes from 18 to 17 to I think 13 and 4 and 3 or something a few years ago. I still have the view from 18 tee as my desktop.

I wish we had taken pictures. My parents were not golfers so to them they didn't really care too much about the golf course. If I had only knew where I was at the time I would have taken pictures. I just thought it was a pretty stop on our trip.

Thats why we were there too. Actually, my MOM wanted to go to Carmel? I think. And we took the drive that ended up going to Pebble Beach and I insisted we stop. We looked at 18, I bought what I could afford, a golf towel LOL and looked up at the price to play, which way back when was still over $400. Amazing. How much is it today to play Pebble Beach?

That's exactly why we were there too my mom wanted to go to Carmel and Monterey because she had some friends who lived there.

I wish we had taken pictures. My parents were not golfers so to them they didn't really care too much about the golf course. If I had only knew where I was at the time I would have taken pictures. I just thought it was a pretty stop on our trip.

That's exactly why we were there too my mom wanted to go to Carmel and Monterey because she had some friends who lived there.

Hmmm... naaaa lol

It was $495 when we were there in August of 2008. You can show up and sit and wait for a cancellation if you aren't staying at the lodge.

I bought a towel too! And a cap, a Pebble Beach logo ball and a PB pitch mark repair tool w/ball marker.

It was $495 when we were there in August of 2008. You can show up and sit and wait for a cancellation if you aren't staying at the lodge.

I bought a towel too! And a cap, a Pebble Beach logo ball and a PB pitch mark repair tool w/ball marker.

I got a logo ball too now that I think of it. I was just adding the outing balls to my collection and saw the Pebble Beach one.

How much is it today to play Pebble Beach?

PEBBLE BEACH GOLF LINKS
Resort Guests $495 incl. cart
Non-Resort Guests $495 + cart

SPYGLASS HILL GOLF COURSE
Resort Guests $350 incl. cart
Non-Resort Guests $350 + cart

THE LINKS AT SPANISH BAY
Resort Guests $260 incl. cart
Non-Resort Guests $260 + cart

DEL MONTE GOLF COURSE
Resort Guests $110 + cart
Hyatt Guests $110 + cart
Non-Resort Guests $110 + cart

PEBBLE BEACH GOLF LINKS
Resort Guests $495 incl. cart
Non-Resort Guests $495 + cart

SPYGLASS HILL GOLF COURSE
Resort Guests $350 incl. cart
Non-Resort Guests $350 + cart

THE LINKS AT SPANISH BAY
Resort Guests $260 incl. cart
Non-Resort Guests $260 + cart

DEL MONTE GOLF COURSE
Resort Guests $110 + cart
Hyatt Guests $110 + cart
Non-Resort Guests $110 + cart

That is one reason why I plan to take a trip to Bandon Dunes before Pebble.

That is one reason why I plan to take a trip to Bandon Dunes before Pebble.

We played Pacific Grove Municipal (the poor man's Pebble Beach) on a Thursday for 40 bucks. The back nine was designed by the same guy who did Pebble.

Played the Kingsmill River Course a few times and yes it lives up to the "hype" of being a tour caliber course!

We played Pacific Grove Municipal (the poor man's Pebble Beach) on a Thursday for 40 bucks. The back nine was designed by the same guy who did Pebble.

Thanks for the info Smalls.

LOL - the two "Tour" courses I've played at were LPGA and Champions Tour stops.

Kapolei on Oahu - used to host the Hawaiian Ladies Open
The Reserve in Aloha - used to host The Tradition. This is pretty close to my home, and I've played both of its courses a few times.

I've played Tucson National- Catalina which was the host of the Chrystler Classic of Tucson and that was an amazing course. Very good course conditions, great layout, and just a fun course in general. I've also played Barona Creek in San Diego which was the host of the 2008 Nationwide Tour Championship and will host this years Nationwide Tour Championship. That course was AMAZING, perfect greens, fairway's, tee boxes, everything. It was a challenging course, but at the same time you could shoot a good score if you kept control of your ball.

Back