Tour Edge 1 out sand wedge

Bridgestone
Reaction score
Handicap
Bought the Tour Edge 1 out sand wedge. Was practicing with it today with some difficulty. Left a few in the bunker, thinned a few. It was wet out today. But, I didn't realize how heavy the club head is. Any tips to work with this club?

erock9174

Reaction score
Handicap
I haven’t tried that club but struggled with the Callaway Sure out when I first got it.

With that club I do the following and it works good now:
-ball off my front foot heel
-weight forward
-quiet lower body
-square to slightly open face
-slightly open stance
-on the takeaway I immediately hinge my wrists
-Try and hit down and thump the sand about 2” behind the ball
-swing outside in path
-accelerate through the ball.

Reaction score
Handicap
erock9174;n8901673 said:
I haven’t tried that club but struggled with the Callaway Sure out when I first got it.

With that club I do the following and it works good now:
-ball off my front foot heel
-weight forward
-quiet lower body
-square to slightly open face
-slightly open stance
-on the takeaway I immediately hinge my wrists
-Try and hit down and thump the sand about 2” behind the ball
-swing outside in path
-accelerate through the ball.
Thanks, erock9174! I will give it a shot.

erock9174

Reaction score
Handicap
Sure thing.
One other thing I forgot to add is I try and keep my hands behind the club head. With all my other clubs I play my hands forward at address with a good amount of shaft lean. Not on a bunker shot.

Reaction score
Handicap
Still struggling with this thing. Reading the Amazon product reviews, it seems like gripping the club on the dots (choking down) seems to be important. We'll see.

Reaction score
Handicap
I have used SW's similar to this one for a long time. Initially the Alien. I believe the Alien is much like the one you have. It has a very heavy head that kinda makes you continue swinging it as you hit the sand. I always had hit/miss results with it. I got an Alien knock off a bunch of years ago....and a couple years ago I got the XE1...I'm not even sure who makes it. Here's why it is better for me. The sole is not filled with weight as the sure out is. So it swings like a normal weighted club. My guess is the sure out swings like d8 while all your other clubs are d3 or so...The XE1 swings at same as rest. Playing it you must make sure you get that sole into the sand..a little fat ok...thin is a nightmare. I find the XE1 is great for greenside bunker play where the pin is no more than 15 yards. If more I play my normal SW. I use the XE1 as a lob wedge too.But off a tight lie, the risk/reward gotta high for that. It's 60 degrees. Choking up the Sure Out will make it feel lighter. That may work. But candidly....A club like this is for those of us with less than stellar sand play...So if it don't work...move on to another.

Reaction score
Handicap
Thanks, GolfTravelDude. For 50 bucks I can't complain. But, I didn't think it would require this much attention. Yes, I am getting a lot of thin shots. Also, slicing it too. I never thought that would be possible. I have been mostly practicing with it. Hopefully, on the course it will magically come together. I appreciate your tips/thoughts.

Reaction score
Handicap
Played the 1 out on Sat. As some say, it's a mixed bag. Played some of my best shots ever that felt really good and also thinned half of my shots. If I can figure out to get rid of the thin shots (blowing it across the green), it might be worth keeping. My technique was too open up ever so slightly and close the club base at address slightly. Overall, I was expecting worse based on my practice sessions. Perhaps, a course actual sand, is in better shape than a practice bunker.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in