Tour Edge 1 out sand wedge

Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Bought the Tour Edge 1 out sand wedge. Was practicing with it today with some difficulty. Left a few in the bunker, thinned a few. It was wet out today. But, I didn't realize how heavy the club head is. Any tips to work with this club?

I haven’t tried that club but struggled with the Callaway Sure out when I first got it.

With that club I do the following and it works good now:
-ball off my front foot heel
-weight forward
-quiet lower body
-square to slightly open face
-slightly open stance
-on the takeaway I immediately hinge my wrists
-Try and hit down and thump the sand about 2” behind the ball
-swing outside in path
-accelerate through the ball.

erock9174;n8901673 said:
I haven’t tried that club but struggled with the Callaway Sure out when I first got it.

With that club I do the following and it works good now:
-ball off my front foot heel
-weight forward
-quiet lower body
-square to slightly open face
-slightly open stance
-on the takeaway I immediately hinge my wrists
-Try and hit down and thump the sand about 2” behind the ball
-swing outside in path
-accelerate through the ball.

Thanks, erock9174! I will give it a shot.

Sure thing.
One other thing I forgot to add is I try and keep my hands behind the club head. With all my other clubs I play my hands forward at address with a good amount of shaft lean. Not on a bunker shot.

Still struggling with this thing. Reading the Amazon product reviews, it seems like gripping the club on the dots (choking down) seems to be important. We'll see.

I have used SW's similar to this one for a long time. Initially the Alien. I believe the Alien is much like the one you have. It has a very heavy head that kinda makes you continue swinging it as you hit the sand. I always had hit/miss results with it. I got an Alien knock off a bunch of years ago....and a couple years ago I got the XE1...I'm not even sure who makes it. Here's why it is better for me. The sole is not filled with weight as the sure out is. So it swings like a normal weighted club. My guess is the sure out swings like d8 while all your other clubs are d3 or so...The XE1 swings at same as rest. Playing it you must make sure you get that sole into the sand..a little fat ok...thin is a nightmare. I find the XE1 is great for greenside bunker play where the pin is no more than 15 yards. If more I play my normal SW. I use the XE1 as a lob wedge too.But off a tight lie, the risk/reward gotta high for that. It's 60 degrees. Choking up the Sure Out will make it feel lighter. That may work. But candidly....A club like this is for those of us with less than stellar sand play...So if it don't work...move on to another.

Thanks, GolfTravelDude. For 50 bucks I can't complain. But, I didn't think it would require this much attention. Yes, I am getting a lot of thin shots. Also, slicing it too. I never thought that would be possible. I have been mostly practicing with it. Hopefully, on the course it will magically come together. I appreciate your tips/thoughts.

Played the 1 out on Sat. As some say, it's a mixed bag. Played some of my best shots ever that felt really good and also thinned half of my shots. If I can figure out to get rid of the thin shots (blowing it across the green), it might be worth keeping. My technique was too open up ever so slightly and close the club base at address slightly. Overall, I was expecting worse based on my practice sessions. Perhaps, a course actual sand, is in better shape than a practice bunker.

Re-starting the thread. Last year, I gave up on this thing as I was thinning and sending the ball flying. Thought I'd give it one more try before donating it. Did anyone else have the problem of blasting shots too far?

Shots going too far must be getting too much of the ball -- impact point too close to the ball you're bouncing off hard sand and into the ball. Do you have fluffy bunkers?

Dave

I tried one (l love TE stuff) but, on the end, ended up with a Cleveland Smart sole in my bag.

For me, it was much better results with almost zero effort.

Shots going too far must be getting too much of the ball -- impact point too close to the ball you're bouncing off hard sand and into the ball. Do you have fluffy bunkers?

Dave

Thanks, Dave. Yes, I typically play in fluffy bunkers. Is it better to hit a few inches behind it? But, of course after it rains, it's wet and more compact.

I tried one (l love TE stuff) but, on the end, ended up with a Cleveland Smart sole in my bag.

Thanks, Goalie. That's what I'm debating. Thinking about the Smart sole, which might be in-between a tradition SW and these heavy and wide clubs. If it wasn't so heavy, I'd like it more.

I figured out a trick with these. Address the ball with a hover over the ball and let it swing forward of the ball to the target side and back. Since it is a heavy club, it utilizes the momentum nicely and the heaviness makes it easy to lower the club path on the through swing. So, far so good, in practice.

Thanks, Dave. Yes, I typically play in fluffy bunkers. Is it better to hit a few inches behind it? But, of course after it rains, it's wet and more compact.

I'm not sure if the wide sole wedges work as well after rain/compacted sand bunkers. I think they are much better in fluffy sand. My typical course is an admitted goat track and has bunkers that are more concrete like. I just play standard chips out of it. Some people putt! If I go and play a nicer course I'd consider putting my 56 Glider back in the bag.

Dave

Last edited:
Bought the Tour Edge 1 out sand wedge. Was practicing with it today with some difficulty. Left a few in the bunker, thinned a few. It was wet out today. But, I didn't realize how heavy the club head is. Any tips to work with this club?
Just curious.

What type of stance set up are you using with this club?

Also, are you setting up with an open, square, or closed club face?

Just curious.

What type of stance set up are you using with this club?

Also, are you setting up with an open, square, or closed club face?

Slightly open stance and club face. If I went to a square stance and slightly closed face, I didn't see much difference. I know it is recommended to be square. I was getting different results, flyers, fat and leave it in the bunker and a few great shots. By friend calls those happy accidents, lol.

I'm not sure if the wide sole wedges work as well after rain/compacted sand bunkers. I think they are much better in fluffy sand. My typical course is an admitted goat track and has bunkers that are more concrete like. I just play standard chips out of it. Some people putt! If I go and play a nicer course I'd consider putting my 56 Glider back in the bag.

Dave

Great, point. I am guilty of playing the same swings, in any condition.

Slightly open stance and club face. If I went to a square stance and slightly closed face, I didn't see much difference. I know it is recommended to be square. I was getting different results, flyers, fat and leave it in the bunker and a few great shots. By friend calls those happy accidents, lol.
My own game revolves around "happy accidents" sometimes.

My only suggestion woild be to try another wedge with less bounce, and maybe open the club face more.

My stock sand shot is an open stance and a wide open club face. The club face is still aimed at my target, and I swing the club along my open shoulder line.

I've taken lessons on bunker shots. And regardless of the numerous clubs I've used, I finally resorted to the Hand Wedge. Works every time.

Dave
Wet and compact I’ve been able to use my 64* Sure Out but you really have to go steep
And make an effort to really get that thing down into the sand. Those I tend to just stick it into the sand without much of a follow through.

goalie, Went with the Smart Sole 4.0. It seems slightly heavy. But, no where near the TE club. Practiced with it with some decent results. There seems to be some adjustments like staying square. What is your approach with the Smart sole? Their ad says point and shoot. Not sure if it is that easy. Thx. CG

Also, golf galaxy took the current 20 off Dick's coupon. Not bad, 4.0 for a 3.0 price.

goalie, Went with the Smart Sole 4.0. It seems slightly heavy. But, no where near the TE club. Practiced with it with some decent results. There seems to be some adjustments like staying square. What is your approach with the Smart sole? Their ad says point and shoot. Not sure if it is that easy. Thx. CG

Also, golf galaxy took the current 20 off Dick's coupon. Not bad, 4.0 for a 3.0 price.
I still open my stance like a "real" sand wedge. I open the face if i I need it up quick, or squared up for longer shots.

Hit a credit card behind the ball and don't stop your swing in the sand.

;)

I still open my stance like a "real" sand wedge. I open the face if i I need it up quick, or squared up for longer shots.

Hit a credit card behind the ball and don't stop your swing in the sand.

;)

Thanks, goalie! I noticed if I open up the face and it pops up short. I can slice the ball too, lol. Thanks, for your tips! Will try them out! CG

I don't how you guys can open the face of a wide sole wedge without huge risk of a thin/skull. Isn't the whole point of this club category to keep a square face?

Dave

Back