Tour Edge Exotics C721 and E721 Irons

Hope to get out with mine Sunday. Curious to see what happens with new shafts.

Like I mentioned before, took these out for the first time on the course last night. I did have a couple range sessions, but was very excited to finally give them a go based on what I saw. I learned from the range sessions that my tempo had to be more deliberate, and not so rushed with the lighter weight shaft. Once I executed, these performed!

First hole grab a 4i, put a not so great swing on it and caught it low on the face, but it still goes on line and rolls out to 180. Ok, not a great start, but the ball still went straight and gave me a good approach. As I approach my next shot, I realize I just need to put a good swing on the ball and let the club do the work, because that poor 4i was definitely a result of an overswing. Put a good swing on my next shot, an 8i, and it just goes, and goes. Overshot my target a bit, but the flight was perfection, and the feel was buttery smooth. I think to myself, alright, we got something now!

I proceed to hit many more of those shots that just felt great, had a good flight in the window I want to see, and I was green hunting during my entire round. Went 6/9 GIR. Seemed to have good gapping overall. 9i at 140, 8i at 150. What I've been playing with my old gamers, so nothing to really adjust to numbers wise. Was getting some really good roll out on the fairways both off the tee, and on layup shots. Upwards of 20-25 yards of roll out, so I'd be curious to see the spin numbers.

Overall, whether from the tee, fairway, or rough these worked well in a variety of situations. The feel and sound from this type of construction is impressive. Is it as good as a fully forged? No. But for a hollow body I'd put it up there with any other hollow body in terms of best feel and sound combination.

A couple recaps:

Here are back to back 4i's off the tee. You can see the consistency, but also, the weapon that you have off the tee. This is the same distance I typically hit my driving iron, so it might replace that and open up a spot in the bag, as I currently play 2 4i's. It was a rocket launcher, got the ball high into the air, but still had a piercing flight that was fun to see.

Screenshot_20210618-074504.jpg

Screenshot_20210618-074506.jpg

Par 3, downhill playing 150. Grab my 9i (140 club). Catch it a bit low and toe side, but it still gets up and goes. Lands front side of the green, rolls up nice. Not the best swing, but Diamond Face 2.0 helped me here, no doubt about it.

Screenshot_20210618-074457.jpg

Here's the 9i from a less than ideal lie. Still found the green.
Screenshot_20210618-074501.jpg

Put a really good swing on this 8i on a shot that was slight uphill into the wind. Stayed online the entire time and found the front side of the green.

Screenshot_20210618-074509.jpg

Ok got a little time in sim this morning due to rain. Set of 721 shafted with rdx stiff. Much better in my opinion to the elevate shafts. They still require a smoother tempo than my i95 shafted KFTs. Nice smooth Louie tempo and they are money. Forgiveness of the slightly larger head could come in handy. Will they make my bag before tournament in mid July. My guess is no however I’ll give the a chance. The slightly wider sole might be an advantage to the softer fairways in Colorado. Solidly built club but going from the KFT blade size to the blade size of the 721 takes a little getting used to. Will spend more time with them to give them a fair shake. Probably not a fair comparison between the and a set that I’m very familiar with. Hopes were high after the experience we had with driver.

Ok got a little time in sim this morning due to rain. Set of 721 shafted with rdx stiff. Much better in my opinion to the elevate shafts. They still require a smoother tempo than my i95 shafted KFTs. Nice smooth Louie tempo and they are money. Forgiveness of the slightly larger head could come in handy. Will they make my bag before tournament in mid July. My guess is no however I’ll give the a chance. The slightly wider sole might be an advantage to the softer fairways in Colorado. Solidly built club but going from the KFT blade size to the blade size of the 721 takes a little getting used to. Will spend more time with them to give them a fair shake. Probably not a fair comparison between the and a set that I’m very familiar with. Hopes were high after the experience we had with driver.
Butch - what'd you think of the sound and feel? They seem to still have the cast sound to them when hit - VibRCor is assisting but they are a bit loud still for my taste. What'd you think of the ball flight?

This weekend my daughter was in Orlando playing volleyball and I was back in MN watching on BallerTV (great option by the way). When my kids are competing I'm a "pacer" and can't sit still. So during this time - I decided to grab the TE C721 4 iron and hit balls in my sim while watching her play on the Sim screen (see pic). I must have taken 4-500 swings over the course of 4 days.

I'm seeming to gravitate towards the 4 iron more and more from my current one. It may be the head/shaft combo but I really like the way the ball comes off the face. When hit well, the ball really does go and the trajectory is higher than my current 4 iron, when hit off-center I could def tell but it still seemed to have much of the same attributes to the ball - I could just tell by the sound and feel. Got league tomorrow night and I think the 4 is going in the bag. Better half and daughter get home this morning so I'm sure they'll be just bumming around the house today so I'm going to get out to the course to play the full set again. I'll check in after the round.

6B0DB9D0-AE59-45EF-AD2E-C94AEB6B8B51.jpeg

This weekend my daughter was in Orlando playing volleyball and I was back in MN watching on BallerTV (great option by the way). When my kids are competing I'm a "pacer" and can't sit still. So during this time - I decided to grab the TE C721 4 iron and hit balls in my sim while watching her play on the Sim screen (see pic). I must have taken 4-500 swings over the course of 4 days.

I'm seeming to gravitate towards the 4 iron more and more from my current one. It may be the head/shaft combo but I really like the way the ball comes off the face. When hit well, the ball really does go and the trajectory is higher than my current 4 iron, when hit off-center I could def tell but it still seemed to have much of the same attributes to the ball - I could just tell by the sound and feel. Got league tomorrow night and I think the 4 is going in the bag. Better half and daughter get home this morning so I'm sure they'll be just bumming around the house today so I'm going to get out to the course to play the full set again. I'll check in after the round.

View attachment 9014023
Agreed on the 4i. It's a fun club to play. I'm getting good height, plus distance that puts me in great positions off the tee.

Butch - what'd you think of the sound and feel? They seem to still have the cast sound to them when hit - VibRCor is assisting but they are a bit loud still for my taste. What'd you think of the ball flight?
I would agree with sound. More of a cast sound. Dead center shots seem to have a nice sound. I like the ball flight with the rdx shaft. I get plenty of height out of the coupled with the rdx shaft. Are there better shaft options out there I’m sure. I have a few issues with the c721. 1 the actual size of head. It seems big to me for a players distance iron. If that doesn’t bother you as a player then by all means give them some serious thought. 2 is shaft options. I’m sure it’s difficult to offer more standard options for a company this size and to try and meet their 48 hour delivery promise. I wish there were a few recoil options. 3 is swing weight. First set with the elevate 95 reg flex came in near d5. Even with my swing speed being inline with recommended range the reg flex at d5 in long irons made them a challenge. The newly shafted rdx set have helped some. I have not check swing weight yet on these. I feel that the 721s with either shaft combo require a nice smooth tempo. They will get more time in the bag. They just got here at a really bad time for me. Right after surgery and right in the middle of our busy season. If anyone has questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Boom. And I mean boom.

The excitement Tour Edge has for these is unlike I’ve seen them before for any previous release. And they SWEAR that they absolutely nailed the sound.
Nice writeup, as usual. The E721's look very smooth. Not sure I need an iron ponder (from my C200's) right now. Ha!

Getting the C721's out for 18 on Friday. Anyone looking at these have any questions you want me to try to answer? Anything you want me to test out?

Getting the C721's out for 18 on Friday. Anyone looking at these have any questions you want me to try to answer? Anything you want me to test out?
Would Love to hear more about ball flight and distances achieved compared to what you are used to.

Played yesterday with my bride and had every intention of giving a short synopsis - but fam life happened. Overall the irons feel very solid and well made. I didn't score well but that had more to do with my inability to hit a wedge right now and less to do with the irons. I really like the longer irons (4/5) and they are very easy to hit. especially the 4 and 5 iron where they set up and play more like a GI iron. Very easy to hit.

Ball Flight: Ball flight is much higher than my normal gamers. I placed the HZRDUS Black RDX Smoke 6.0 shaft in so that could be part of the reason. It's actually 40 grams lighter than my current shafts so it takes a bit to get the feeling/swing going. So the extra height could be due to my swing right now versus the club face itself. When hit correctly the ball really does go in an explosive manner.

Distance: I feel like the distance is a bit less than I'd expect right now - at least in the shorter irons. Again, that could be due to the lightness of the shaft or me flipping my hands at the end. I'm not a huge divot taker/maker and I did have a few shots where once I hit it my wife was like "ooo fat"... I was "nope - perfect shot - perfect divot" - perfect distance, with a bit of spin on the ball to bring it back a few feet.

Later this week I'll follow up with thoughts on the Feel of the club. TE has worked to create a hollow-body iron to feel like a forged iron with their VibrCor Technology.

Any q's?

Would Love to hear more about ball flight and distances achieved compared to what you are used to.
Will do. I have a few thoughts, but want to get 18 more holes of data in Arccos to confirm or deny what I've seen thus far with most of the irons. I did hit a lot of 4i shots though last round, so I feel like I can speak to that a bit now, and confirm it after Friday.

As a comparison with the other 4i's I came from:

I play a Cobra Speedzone 4i with a Catalyst 80 graphite shaft, mainly off the tee. Compared to the Speedzone, the height with the C721's is high, but not quite as high as the Speedzone. I was having an issue with the SZ on occasion where is would balloon too high with the slightest headwind. Through 2 years of data, I was averaging right around 205 yards off the tee and many times it seemed to have too high of a ball flight, and I would get little to no roll out. The C721 seems to have a good high flight, but still piercing, even with a slight headwind, and getting some roll. I hit my C721 4i off the tee a few times last round and was right around 220 yards. I did hit the SZ in conjunction on those holes with the same ball, and was 10-15 yards behind it, right on my average. Both shots were struck well so I would expect similar results. The C721 is as forgiving as the SZ as well.

As compared to the Cobra King Forged Tec, shafted with Nippon Modus Tour 105, the 4i ball flight I see with the C721 is much higher. I don't use the KFT much off the tee, but I have a few times and just didn't like the flight I was getting because it was too low. I do use the KFT out of the fairway with good results, but will compare more once I hit the C721 4i from the fairway a few more times.

I would agree with sound. More of a cast sound. Dead center shots seem to have a nice sound. I like the ball flight with the rdx shaft. I get plenty of height out of the coupled with the rdx shaft. Are there better shaft options out there I’m sure. I have a few issues with the c721. 1 the actual size of head. It seems big to me for a players distance iron. If that doesn’t bother you as a player then by all means give them some serious thought. 2 is shaft options. I’m sure it’s difficult to offer more standard options for a company this size and to try and meet their 48 hour delivery promise. I wish there were a few recoil options. 3 is swing weight. First set with the elevate 95 reg flex came in near d5. Even with my swing speed being inline with recommended range the reg flex at d5 in long irons made them a challenge. The newly shafted rdx set have helped some. I have not check swing weight yet on these. I feel that the 721s with either shaft combo require a nice smooth tempo. They will get more time in the bag. They just got here at a really bad time for me. Right after surgery and right in the middle of our busy season. If anyone has questions please don’t hesitate to ask.
I’m surprised the rdx staft brought the swing weight down. With the 3 E721 7i I bought the kbs 70 Reg was D5.5 and the elevate and xp85 were both D5. Made no sense to me unless they are somehow adding weight to the head or picking heavier heads for the graphite shafted clubs.

I’m surprised the rdx staft brought the swing weight down. With the 3 E721 7i I bought the kbs 70 Reg was D5.5 and the elevate and xp85 were both D5. Made no sense to me unless they are somehow adding weight to the head or picking heavier heads for the graphite shafted clubs.
Not sure what they are exactly. I have not taken the time yet to weigh and measure. I was told they would be d2. Golf works should have swing weight scales back in stock soon. I’ll be purchasing shortly. They feel and play better for me with the stiff rdx shaft. My swing speed falls right on the dividing line between reg and stiff. I like the feel of the rdx over the elevate 95 reg flex.

Any input out there from folks that have put the E721 up against the Mavrik? I have a demo Mavrik 7i right now with the Elevate 95 stiff and like it, but don't love it and it feels like a really heavy swingweight like others noted in their reviews. I was thinking about looking to demo the E721 in the RDX 6.0, but can't seem to find any reviews on that shaft (for irons) out there. I play to a 15 right now and my biggest opportunities are from 160+ out so I'm thinking about 5 or 6 - PW set. I actually play (and love) Scor wedges in 45/50/55 to finish out my set. I'm in i25 irons now with the CFS stiff shaft if there is any comparison for those to the E721 also.

Thanks

Any input out there from folks that have put the E721 up against the Mavrik? I have a demo Mavrik 7i right now with the Elevate 95 stiff and like it, but don't love it and it feels like a really heavy swingweight like others noted in their reviews. I was thinking about looking to demo the E721 in the RDX 6.0, but can't seem to find any reviews on that shaft (for irons) out there. I play to a 15 right now and my biggest opportunities are from 160+ out so I'm thinking about 5 or 6 - PW set. I actually play (and love) Scor wedges in 45/50/55 to finish out my set. I'm in i25 irons now with the CFS stiff shaft if there is any comparison for those to the E721 also.

Thanks
@jmix18 and @bbutler play the RDX in the C721 and might be able to help with questions on that shaft in irons.

Thanks
I originally went with elevate 95 in reg flex in my c721. Didn’t care for the combo with my swing. I fall right on the swing speed line between reg and stiff. I found the reg shaft and the higher swing weight didn’t really work for me. Tour Edge built me another set with rdx stiff. Much better combo. I don’t find that the rdx plays really stiff. Still requires a nice smooth tempo. For me anyway. Ball flight very nice. I was somewhat scared of the rdx being labeled low launch. It launches very nice for me. Don’t turn your back on the c721 model. I think they could easily be classified as game improvement. Any thing else just ask. Should get more first hand experience with them this weekend.

I originally went with elevate 95 in reg flex in my c721. Didn’t care for the combo with my swing. I fall right on the swing speed line between reg and stiff. I found the reg shaft and the higher swing weight didn’t really work for me. Tour Edge built me another set with rdx stiff. Much better combo. I don’t find that the rdx plays really stiff. Still requires a nice smooth tempo. For me anyway. Ball flight very nice. I was somewhat scared of the rdx being labeled low launch. It launches very nice for me. Don’t turn your back on the c721 model. I think they could easily be classified as game improvement. Any thing else just ask. Should get more first hand experience with them this weekend.

Thank you for the responses here. I'm leaning toward the E721 as the lofts seem to fit my desired set makeup, the price is better, and I would enjoy the additional forgiveness - at distances outside 150 I'm happy with 'close to the green'.

My big concern, that you mentioned also, is the swingweight. With the Marvik I'm testing that has the VSS Elevate Stiff the head just feels so heavy and I could see the E721 feeling the same way. It's interesting that the lighter graphite RDX seems to feel less head heavy. How do you feel the dispersion is on those vs. steel, I've never played graphite iron shafts and don't think my swing speed really needs it, but if I get can better performance I would take it. I hit a high ball already and never have issues holding greens with any iron except my P790 4-iron.

Thanks again!

Thank you for the responses here. I'm leaning toward the E721 as the lofts seem to fit my desired set makeup, the price is better, and I would enjoy the additional forgiveness - at distances outside 150 I'm happy with 'close to the green'.

My big concern, that you mentioned also, is the swingweight. With the Marvik I'm testing that has the VSS Elevate Stiff the head just feels so heavy and I could see the E721 feeling the same way. It's interesting that the lighter graphite RDX seems to feel less head heavy. How do you feel the dispersion is on those vs. steel, I've never played graphite iron shafts and don't think my swing speed really needs it, but if I get can better performance I would take it. I hit a high ball already and never have issues holding greens with any iron except my P790 4-iron.

Thanks again!
I’ll check swing weight on a few of this set. Yo get an exact comparison to the set with the elevate 95s.

I'll be keeping an eye on ball flight and tracking distances tomorrow during my round. Anything else that anyone interested might want to see or hear about?

I'll be keeping an eye on ball flight and tracking distances tomorrow during my round. Anything else that anyone interested might want to see or hear about?

If its possible to share the feel of the irons? Thank you and hit them straight!

If its possible to share the feel of the irons? Thank you and hit them straight!
Yes, I will be sure to keep some notes and report back on feel.

Really fun round today. Going to go through the data, collect my thoughts, and put something together tomorrow.

Back