Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 Driver

Believe me I get it, I’m locked down pretty tight too and my wife is on the front lines daily.

Fun can still be had to keep it current in everyone’s minds though until things lighten up for everyone.

Let’s pick a topic and chat it up, eh?

Start with the obvious one, looks.

Aesthetically what is you alls favorite thing about the driver? What exceeded your expectations entering this? How is the shape to your eye? What do you think of the finish? Quality of materials involved? General setup look? Grip selection? Headcover? Adapter effectiveness and it’s impact on the look of the club at address when you adjust it?

I will go first... The crown featuring the triple carbon tech. I enjoyed the subtle carbon tech found in other drivers(785 pictured below) and they nailed it on this one. I like the larger noticable print. I appreciate the Max MOI design the elongated shape makes the driver look huge in my opinion. I haven't been hitting balls, but swinging in my front yard at some foam practice balls. The thing yields forgiveness and gives me confidence that I am going to find the center of the face when standing over the tee. The E is interesting for alignment and it works nice touch.

On the non visual part or undercarriage(lol). I love the blue accents on the sides and the blue carbon fiber below. The design / stickers tags are done in a pleasing way... The sound bars and color scheme just work and are reserved and modern.

It's not a look persay, but the headcover is A+++ best one I have seen. @Jman said it loosens up so while sitting inside day dreaming about golf that has been my goal... its getting there. hand crafted and well put together... sad that none of my other headcovers match or look the same!

said undercarriage....
1585861032095.png

NEXT UP Performance -- realized i should have played golf today, but bookend calls had me chained to the desk!
(more insights coming but you can feel that ball JUMP off the diamond face)

IMG_20200318_124339.jpgIMG_20200318_123601.jpg

Last edited:
I will go first... The crown featuring the triple carbon tech. I enjoyed the subtle carbon tech found in other drives and they nailed it on this one. I appreciate the Max MOI design the elongated shape makes the driver look huge in my opinion. I haven't been hitting balls, but swinging in my front yard at some foam practice balls. The thing yields forgiveness and gives me confidence that I am going to find the center of the face when standing over the tee. The E is interesting for alignment and it works nice touch.

On the non visual part or undercarriage(lol). I love the blue accents on the sides and the blue carbon fiber below. The design / stickers tags are done in a pleasing way... The sound bars and color scheme just work and are reserved and modern.

It's not a look persay, but the headcover is A+++ best one I have seen. @Jman
Underrrrrcarriage! :p

Good thoughts! I think what’s taken me back the most, especially having the EXS back in hand and side by side, the quality of the look has stepped up even more this go round.

Sorry updated with pictures I had taken.

Does anyone have questions for me on the driver?

Unfortunately, here on the Left coast, all the golf courses are closed, and believe me, I have looked.

Sorry updated with pictures I had taken.

Does anyone have questions for me on the driver?
Man, does that driver look good. Great description. Anything you dont like about is aesthetically?

Man, does that driver look good. Great description. Anything you dont like about is aesthetically?
Honestly get rid of the advertising... I understand they want consumers to see it. But I use the driver don't need to see triple diamond and Max moi on the driver and use the same color blues. Stick to the dark bkues, maybe they are known for the lighter blue and remove the mktg slogans.

Think of how beastly it would look if it just said EXS 220...exotic on the back.... Would look cleaner, but that's only b cause you asked me to nitpick it..

Dark blue cf Color is nice and that's good.

Honestly get rid of the advertising... I understand they want consumers to see it. But I use the driver don't need to see triple diamond and Max moi on the driver and use the same color blues. Stick to the dark bkues, maybe they are known for the lighter blue and remove the mktg slogans.

Think of how beastly it would look if it just said EXS 220...exotic on the back.... Wouldnlook cleaner
Have to remember though, marketing matters, and most picking something up off the shelf want to easily see the story, ya know?

And I say that as one who wishes everything was murdered out and simple. Haha

My one asthetics critique, I'm not a fan of the graphics on the face. Just like the "bullseye" on the Callaway drivers.

Have to remember though, marketing matters, and most picking something up off the shelf want to easily see the story, ya know?

And I say that as one who wishes everything was murdered out and simple. Haha
Like I said @Jman completely get why they do it.

Is this just a major manufacturer vs smaller player? Big names don't do it... Even most small names don't do it.

My one asthetics critique, I'm not a fan of the graphics on the face. Just like the "bullseye" on the Callaway drivers.
That's actually one piece I liked!

Like I said @Jman completely get why they do it.

Is this just a major manufacturer vs smaller player? Big names don't do it... Even most small names don't do it.
Oh I disagree there. Big names absolutely do it.

Oh I disagree there. Big names absolutely do it.
Hmmm would be curious to see those... The major players that come to mind are clean ...

Hmmm would be curious to see those... The major players that come to mind are clean ...
TM has text on the sole about the injection tech, Callaway has text on jailbreak.

It the text here larger? Sure. Do I care for it? Not really. But does it help tell the story? It does indeed.

So does the difference in triple carbon (220) vs double carbon on (EXS) move the weight? are there additional features?

So does the difference in triple carbon (220) vs double carbon on (EXS) move the weight? are there additional features?
Look here:

24F23254-B87C-48BF-9856-5ED1E6ED4520.jpeg

Double on the EXS means toe section and crown, the triple on the 220 is toe, crown, and heel section. It saved 14% of weight compared to the EXS and let that be placed in the middle to back of the sole.

Thanks for the head to head EXS pics @Jman . Really shows the different approaches of the two, the 220 with the more elongated shape, and carbon in the heel, is all about maxing out the MOI. The EXS with the additional weight adjustment in the heel allows for adjusting draw bias in or out. I'm really looking forward to your side-by-side performance comparison.

Look here:

View attachment 8935161

Double on the EXS means toe section and crown, the triple on the 220 is toe, crown, and heel section. It saved 14% of weight compared to the EXS and let that be placed in the middle to back of the sole.

good break down. When I read double and triple carbon I though it meant different grades of Carbon Fiber. Doh.

When I raced radio controlled cars the chassis was made out of graphite and there were different types. The graphite with a gray tint was the bees knees. Graphite with a gold tint didn’t work as well for some reason.

Got it so there are three areas where "traditional" materials were removed and carbon fiber was introduced. I agree that the weight is nice and light. especially with other drivers i have... Now that could be head and shaft combos as well.

Got it so there are three areas where "traditional" materials were removed and carbon fiber was introduced. I agree that the weight is nice and light. especially with other drivers i have... Now that could be head and shaft combos as well.
Remember though. When that weight is saved one place, it’s reintegrated elsewhere in the design most times, as is the case here. These designers fight for grams and fractions of grams to save and shift in order to have an effect on performance, a little goes a long way, and 14% goes even further.

Remember though. When that weight is saved one place, it’s reintegrated elsewhere in the design most times, as is the case here. These designers fight for grams and fractions of grams to save and shift in order to have an effect on performance, a little goes a long way, and 14% goes even further.
we need a deafult light bulb emoji for great ideas/thoughts! 💡💡💡💡

So many yodas that this young padawan can learn from.

most driver heads fall within the same weight range (usually around 200-206g with the adapter figured in. this way the swing weight works out with a normal 60g ish shaft and 50g ish grip and 45.5” build (pretty standard these days). Overall around a 310-315g total static weight.

Exceptions are clubs like the Cobra Airspeed etc where it’s built with light and speed in mind. Those usually come in around 270-280g. Have slightly lighter heads 190-195g, 40g-ish shafts, 35-45g-ish grips and longer builds (46”) to get the swing weight right.

the use of carbon fiber is to replace Heavier titanium so that weight placement can be manipulated for the engineers desired performance outcome. Lately the trend is heavier weight low and back for high launch and lower spin, so carbon is used on the crowns and perimeters of the sole.

we need a deafult light bulb emoji for great ideas/thoughts! 💡💡💡💡

So many yodas that this young padawan can learn from.
Always here for the golf talk and to help however I can my man!

I think I posted this a while back but since were talking about weight the EXS 220 with Ventus R start came in at 311g total which was within 1g of my Epic Flash. Pretty common total weight these days.

F39F234D-CE41-45A9-9109-A0CC0C336376.jpeg

I have to say the 220 is a really good looking club. Just made a grip change. Think the Align really suits it with the red accents. Shortened it a bit. Now at 45.25” to end of grip. Can’t wait to hit this again.

Just sent my buddy a pic. He’s not a big club guy but he is a scratch golfer. His comments were. That is sick looking .... is that a Callaway?
nah bruh...EXOTICS !!29BD0FB8-4BF2-4E68-A75C-658C51C4E406.jpegA59B92DD-E399-4DA3-87AB-F45276440507.jpeg3CA17CD8-6C24-48A8-B45C-6C9B63EFF252.jpeg048D4696-2798-4AC9-8CB4-B1B8B7DB36ED.jpeg

Back