Tour Edge Exotics EXS Driver Review

No, I get it. Club fitting fascinates me!

Set ups that should be perfect may not work at all, while shafts that should be terrible for one's profile can somehow generate terrific numbers. There is some kind of alchemy involved for sure! :)

So to be clear, you are saying the Tensei white will be more active? I thought the blue would be...

And yes, with the blue in a stiff flex I saw a bit too much movement (r to L) and too much spin/height. I would assume that an X flex would knock both of those down a little bit but I am thinking I need more of a low/low set up. (lowering the loft should help too).

No no no, sorry lack of specificity. The Blue will launch higher, spin a little more, and be more active/fluid in my experience.

First time out with the EXS driver today. No range time, just straight to the first tee with the head freshly out of the plastic wrap. 2 out of the first 3 drives were very toey hooks. Before hitting it again on 5, I switched the weights to put the heavier weight in the rear and the lighter one in the heel. Not more toe hooks for the rest of the round after that. The biggest thing that stuck out to me during my first go with this driver was that the ball went dead straight when I put a good swing on it. This is something I welcome but am honestly not used to. With all other drivers I have played, well struck balls normally had some kind of slight movement, typically from right to left. This sucker basically showed no movement either way. I have no problem with that. I did make a few bad swings which resulted in a big push and a big pull but those were on me, not the driver. Another thing that stuck out to me was the ball flight. After the launch to get to it's peak height, the ball just seemed to flatten out and go. I don't recall that being as noticeable with previous drivers I had played. The 9.5 head and high launching shaft gave me a nice mid ball height. In regards to distance, I am not hitting any club as far as I was 4 months ago right now but I will say that the EXS was equal to if not longer than the Epic that I have been playing for about the last year. The head sets up very nice behind the ball also and looks dead square to me.

Very encouraged with what I saw during my initial round with this driver. I expect things to only get better as I get used to it and sync my timing with the shaft.

For those that may be wondering, here are the particulars of how my driver is set up:

1. The Tensei Red shaft I was fit into is a stiff flex tipped 1" and is in the 50 gram weight class. Playing length is 45.25".
2. I swapped out the 3 gram weight for a 6 gram weight and have that in the heel and the 9 gram weight in the back. The weight swap was primarily to get the swing weight up to D2.5.
3. Grip is a Lamkin UTx.

I have a LA Golf White Tie shaft in the same 50 gram weight class that I am going to put a TEE adapter on to try with this head in a couple of weeks once I am completely comfortable with the current setup. Will probably start that one at stock playing length of 45.5" and go from there.

Good stuff Sox, please keep on updating as I enjoy your thoughts. I know the thread doesn’t get the eyes some other drivers do because the club isn’t that flashy, but I truly believe those who hit it will come away stunned at what they just saw.

For those that may be wondering, here are the particulars of how my driver is set up:

1. The Tensei Red shaft I was fit into is a stiff flex tipped 1" and is in the 50 gram weight class.

Not really related to the EXS but since you brought up your fitting....when you went for your fitting was the shaft you hit tipped an inch or did you hit an untipped Tensei Red and after seeing the numbers, the fitter suggested you order it tipped an inch?
I have always been curious how tipping worked during a fitting.
I live near a big fitting center and they have probably 200 shafts across all the different oem's. They will often have shortened shafts to try but these are always butt cut. Never tipped.

Not really related to the EXS but since you brought up your fitting....when you went for your fitting was the shaft you hit tipped an inch or did you hit an untipped Tensei Red and after seeing the numbers, the fitter suggested you order it tipped an inch?
I have always been curious how tipping worked during a fitting.
I live near a big fitting center and they have probably 200 shafts across all the different oem's. They will often have shortened shafts to try but these are always butt cut. Never tipped.
Hit it untipped and the fitter suggested that he wanted to tip it an inch so I went with his suggestion.

Hit it untipped and the fitter suggested that he wanted to tip it an inch so I went with his suggestion.

Gotcha, thanks. I think I'd be paranoid it would firm it up too much or chance the launch and or spin rates if the fitting was close to ideal :)
Then again the fitter knows what he is doing.

I ordered a TM M3 last summer with HZRDUS Red. TM's standard approach is to tip every driver 1". Don't ask me why.
I went ahead with this and regretted it. Wished I would have had them install the tip without the tipping. Shaft feels harsh and launches way to low for me.

Gotcha, thanks. I think I'd be paranoid it would firm it up too much or chance the launch and or spin rates if the fitting was close to ideal :)
Then again the fitter knows what he is doing.

I ordered a TM M3 last summer with HZRDUS Red. TM's standard approach is to tip every driver 1". Don't ask me why.
I went ahead with this and regretted it. Wished I would have had them install the tip without the tipping. Shaft feels harsh and launches way to low for me.
Yeah I was a little concerned bit figured he knew his stuff infinitely better than I do. Looks like it will turn out fine based on my first experience with it.

Going to tip the White Tie 1" also based on this fitting and recommendations from LA Golf. They suggested a regular flex tipped 1" instead of a stiff flex. It is about a degree and a half lower torque than the Tensei Red so that kind of makes sense to me. Plus my swing speed is not increasing in my mid 50's. Haha

Yeah I was a little concerned bit figured he knew his stuff infinitely better than I do. Looks like it will turn out fine based on my first experience with it.

Going to tip the White Tie 1" also based on this fitting and recommendations from LA Golf. They suggested a regular flex tipped 1" instead of a stiff flex. It is about a degree and a half lower torque than the Tensei Red so that kind of makes sense to me. Plus my swing speed is not increasing in my mid 50's. Haha

I hear ya. I’m in my 40’s and not getting any younger.

Curious. What was your ball speed and swing speed during your fitting ? I’m
Always around 90mph swing speed and 128-132 ball speed. Usually end up in R flex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya. I’m in my 40’s and not getting any younger.

Curious. What was your ball speed and swing speed during your fitting ? I’m
Always around 90mph swing speed and 128-132 ball speed. Usually end up in R flex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swing speed was 93 - 95 and cannot recall what ball speed was. The combo that I ended up with was the only one right around the magical 1.5 smash factor. I would consider the Tensei Red a soft stiff.

What was the reasons for going with the CBX fairway and hybrid over the EXS?

What was the reasons for going with the CBX fairway and hybrid over the EXS?

Spin and launch.

CBX will be lower launching, lower spinning. Its a fit thing.

Maaaaaan, I am itching to get out with mine again. Supposed to be 50* Saturday but rain. Depending on how much it actually rains I may try to get nine in anyway. If I do I will post my thoughts as it will be on my home course so I’ll have a little better idea on how it stacks up to my “normal”.

Unless Mizuno's newest is just amazing..I see a couple Tour Edge woods in my bag soon! P.S. I have it on good authority that Ben Hogan is testing/in-production of a driver and fairway wood! You better hurry up BHG! I'm not the kind of guy that buys two drivers in the same year! Am I that guy? Jesus, I'm gonna be that guy aren't I?!

I’m getting used to the driver as weather in the DC area has been spotty at best. However, early signs are very positive. I would like to pick up another adapter but didn’t see one on the site. Unless the new mizuno is a game changer I foresee the EXS getting me through 2019.

Put in an order for a 9.5 with the tensei white shaft yesterday. Excited to get it here and have a shaft shootout with my evenflow white and the UST Mamiya Proforce Gold XX that I was selected to test (thanks thp).

I just need tour edge CS to open so I can order a couple adapters.

I'll probably try and dial in loft and lie with the tensei and then rotate through the shafts and see what happens.

This is really going to make for a better February! #worstmonth

Put in an order for a 9.5 with the tensei white shaft yesterday. Excited to get it here and have a shaft shootout with my evenflow white and the UST Mamiya Proforce Gold XX that I was selected to test (thanks thp).

I just need tour edge CS to open so I can order a couple adapters.

I'll probably try and dial in loft and lie with the tensei and then rotate through the shafts and see what happens.

This is really going to make for a better February! #worstmonth

I’m honestly excited to see what you think!

I hope people give the EXS a fair shot and give it a swing if they are in the market for a new driver. I hit it during a fitting and I liked what I saw. I think this driver can keep up with the big boys. Sound/feel were good. Numbers were good; I just happened to find something that fit me better.

I hope people give the EXS a fair shot and give it a swing if they are in the market for a new driver. I hit it during a fitting and I liked what I saw. I think this driver can keep up with the big boys. Sound/feel were good. Numbers were good; I just happened to find something that fit me better.

Sound is surprising, isn't it? And looks in hand cannot be put into words, I'm 100% with you, I truly hope people give it a go because its a damn solid driver.

Sound is surprising, isn't it? And looks in hand cannot be put into words, I'm 100% with you, I truly hope people give it a go because its a damn solid driver.

Really unique and eye-catching crown. Looks are first class.

Spin and launch.

CBX will be lower launching, lower spinning. Its a fit thing.
Maybe it was just me, but I thought the CBX FWs and hybrid just felt hotter / more solid. Numbers were slightly better also.

Maybe it was just me, but I thought the CBX FWs and hybrid just felt hotter / more solid. Numbers were slightly better also.

The CBX feel MEAN. So I get that.

Just got off the phone with Tour Edge CS (ordered 2 shaft adapters). The rep couldn't have been nicer!

I explained how I was fit into another brand's driver and was randomly handed a TEE EXS to try out and the performance blew the other away. He said they have been hearing that quite a bit. I hope this driver picks up some traction. Not that I am anti any "major" brand (ehhh, maybe 1) but I do like an underdog story.

More importantly (selfishly?) I hope this driver works out for me as well as it did the first time I swung it in the store. I would really like to do a lot less punching out of the trees this year. There is no reason that my 4 iron should get as much action as it does ;)

Got in another round today despite the cold (47°) and wind. Normally would not have played but was itching to hit thus driver again. 7 of 11 fairways hit with the driver which is quite good for me. Pushed 2 due to leaving the club face open (strike was still near the center of the head, pulled 1 for the same reason and the other was my inability to hit it far enough against the cold wind to carry a corner. The other 7 were straight lasers.

One thing I neglected to address in my earlier post were feel and sound. Both are very pleasing IMO.

Seriously considering shortening the shaft a little to have it play at 45". Think I will be able to square up the face a little easier at a little more manageable length.

Back