Tour Edge Exotics EXS Driver Review

The driver looks great. I'm familiar with heel side misses, that's my bad miss.

DT

So after some experimenting at 8.5 I moved it back to stock setting 9.5. Not my best ball striking day. I saw some nice straight drives and some baby fades. I was missing low and Healy a lot. Even on my worst low/heel shots the drive would have been playable or a "good miss". Low fading liners that found the middle and would have rolled for days.

After about 35 cuts I swapped the weights moving the 9g to the back and 3g to the heel. Completely different driver! In fact it really felt heavier. I could feel the club head in my swing much better. No more low liners. Either straight as an arrow or a high fade.

It was a weird day. I only needed the inside half of the club head as everything was heel side (which is odd for me) but at least I know the forgiveness is there!

Can't wait to get dialed in.
Taking it down from 9.5 to 8.5 opens up the face a little. Moving up loft from standard will close it a little. I also had to swap the weights and put the heavier one in the back. That definitely aids in hitting the ball higher. Just to see what it does, I just added 4 grams of high density lead tape over the carbon portion on the toe of the sole. The head is mysterious to me how a guy like me that has always hit just about every golf club right to left has trouble getting that ball flight from this head. Light carbon fiber in the toe + a weight in the heel would seem to indicate some draw bias.

Taking it down from 9.5 to 8.5 opens up the face a little. Moving up loft from standard will close it a little. I also had to swap the weights and put the heavier one in the back. That definitely aids in hitting the ball higher. Just to see what it does, I just added 4 grams of high density lead tape over the carbon portion on the toe of the sole. The head is mysterious to me how a guy like me that has always hit just about every golf club right to left has trouble getting that ball flight from this head. Light carbon fiber in the toe + a weight in the heel would seem to indicate some draw bias.

Interesting maybe I should try 11.5 to close the face a little or 10.5 with a straighter lie angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an update. Went to the driving range today and hit 120 balls. I had about 30 balls with the driver.

I think it was more of a position and swing style adjustment. Couldn't be more happy with my strikes.

b9c08d1af629a31e35b948fac3ecf48c.jpg

And again, it amazes me how a 299 exs driver can outdrive a 499 driver. Usually I get 160yards with the rogue at this range. Today I got 200 yards consistent. Even with a slice it was 180-190. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Here is my happy exotics family portrait

3e4f8b23b112412804e0d710ac484290.jpg

If you have any questions regarding the rest of the EXS irons or cbx IW line, feel free to pm me.

That is a LOT of golf balls dude!

Glad you’re enjoying it, it really is a heck of a good little driver.

That is a LOT of golf balls dude!

Glad you’re enjoying it, it really is a heck of a good little driver.

@jman, really? It seems normal for us to go for 150-200 balls at the range.

I will rest my back for a few days and have a go Thursday or Friday again to be sure. Will do another update once again.

@jman, really? It seems normal for us to go for 150-200 balls at the range.

I will rest my back for a few days and have a go Thursday or Friday again to be sure. Will do another update once again.

It’s a lot of golf balls with driver for sure haha

I’ll have sessions where I hit that many shots, but if they were all driver I think my arms would fall off! HA!

It’s a lot of golf balls with driver for sure haha

I’ll have sessions where I hit that many shots, but if they were all driver I think my arms would fall off! HA!

Oh wait. I did 30-40 with the driver. The rest was with the EXS line. I got good results with the hybrids and irons (shared at the other side). I still struggle with the FW. Any clue?

Yes my arms feel like jelly now and my back is gonna feel sore later. All worth it.

Oh wait. I did 30-40 with the driver. The rest was with the EXS line. I got good results with the hybrids and irons (shared at the other side). I still struggle with the FW. Any clue?

Yes my arms feel like jelly now and my back is gonna feel sore later. All worth it.

Hahahaha, oooooook, I was gonna say holy **** that’s a lot of drivers!!!

Play with ball position with the fairway, especially off the deck.

Played 18 on Sunday at my local goat track in DC. Very cold and terrible conditions but the EXS was a bright spot. The forgiveness across the face is great. I have better results with the 9g weight in the draw position and 3 in the back. I thought I’d want to switch out the shaft but the blue is growing on me. May get another weight and cut 1/2 inch off though. I do love that I can set up on the right side of the box, aim to the left side of the fairway and watch a long boring flight fade back to center. So far I haven’t been able to get this driver any farther left than straight which is a very good thing for me.

Played 18 on Sunday at my local goat track in DC. Very cold and terrible conditions but the EXS was a bright spot. The forgiveness across the face is great. I have better results with the 9g weight in the draw position and 3 in the back. I thought I’d want to switch out the shaft but the blue is growing on me. May get another weight and cut 1/2 inch off though. I do love that I can set up on the right side of the box, aim to the left side of the fairway and watch a long boring flight fade back to center. So far I haven’t been able to get this driver any farther left than straight which is a very good thing for me.

I have seen pretty much the same thing but basically dead straght instead of cutting back. I have always been a notorious right to left ball flight guy from driver to LW. It blows my mind that a head that would seemingly be draw biased with lightweight carbon fiber in the toe and a weight in the heel just does not want to curve left. My biggest miss has been a push hit off the center of the club face. I believe this is due to the shaft being a little long for me and not being able to always square the face.

Agreed. It's amazing how straight your shots can be without needing too much adjustment.

I have seen pretty much the same thing but basically dead straght instead of cutting back. I have always been a notorious right to left ball flight guy from driver to LW. It blows my mind that a head that would seemingly be draw biased with lightweight carbon fiber in the toe and a weight in the heel just does not want to curve left. My biggest miss has been a push hit off the center of the club face. I believe this is due to the shaft being a little long for me and not being able to always square the face.
I am curious about something Sox_Fan. If I am wrong, please let me know. You were fitted at Tour Edge for these clubs, right? I have followed this thread for your reviews and information. I see that you have experimented with weighting, lead tape, etc. Also, you are going to try other shafts. I guess my question is, if you were fitted, why all the tinkering? Didn't Tour Edge get you to the optimal results? I've never been fitted and I am curious. Thank you.

I am curious about something Sox_Fan. If I am wrong, please let me know. You were fitted at Tour Edge for these clubs, right? I have followed this thread for your reviews and information. I see that you have experimented with weighting, lead tape, etc. Also, you are going to try other shafts. I guess my question is, if you were fitted, why all the tinkering? Didn't Tour Edge get you to the optimal results? I've never been fitted and I am curious. Thank you.
Just tinkering. Plus, they did not have the shafts available that I am trying in the head. If I see better results with those shafts, I go with them. If not, I stick with what I was fit to. Usually only give experiments one round. If it doesn't look promising, back to the fitted shaft. And I have no money invested in the shafts I am trying so why not.

Just tinkering. Plus, they did not have the shafts available that I am trying in the head. If I see better results with those shafts, I go with them. If not, I stick with what I was fit to. Usually only give experiments one round. If it doesn't look promising, back to the fitted shaft. And I have no money invested in the shafts I am trying so why not.

So for those other shafts , did you get the adapter ?

I too purchased a shaft that I did not "test". I made my best guess as to what would fit me the best. I already had a shaft (Evenflow White) that I was fit for in another driver and assume that will be the best fit for me with the EXS. I was also lucky enough to win a Proforce XX from THP to test out so I have had the tipped as well. These 2 will be ready to test when I get to the range again (hopefully tomorrow).

Right now the Tensei White I have in the EXS is ... meh. I liked the feel of the Tensei Blue better and am kind of regretting my decision to guess on the white. In my short range session yesterday I played around with loft and lie and weights some more. I think the 9g at the heel will be best for me in the long run. Some really booming, straight, drives in that set up. We'll see how the other shafts affect flight/consistency.

I am just glad I have some time before the weather gets good for me to really dial this driver in and leave it. I do not want to tinker once the season starts.

Love seeing you guys enjoying tinkering with this one. Will easily go down as the most underrated driver of the year, performance is 100% there.

The EXS continues to be a good fairway finder for me. 7/11 today with 2 of the misses within a couple of yards of the fairway. IF I would quit being so damn stubborn and resign to the fact that I can't carry a corner on a certain par 5 in this cold weather, I would have one more every round. :banghead:

So I was on the driving range today. Hit about 30-40 balls. I couldn't get the 220y (200m) mark today. The weather was bad and there was rain and thunderstorms. Interestingly, I was still able to achieve 197y (180m). I was a bit tired but slices and draw still went 185y (170m). Need to wait for a dry and hot day.

So I was on the driving range today. Hit about 30-40 balls. I couldn't get the 220y (200m) mark today. The weather was bad and there was rain and thunderstorms. Interestingly, I was still able to achieve 197y (180m). I was a bit tired but slices and draw still went 185y (170m). Need to wait for a dry and hot day.

Range balls are notorious for not having the distance you'd get with your gamers. You're probably best getting distance from your gamer ball.

DT

Range balls are notorious for not having the distance you'd get with your gamers. You're probably best getting distance from your gamer ball.

DT

Hahaha yes, range balls also leave marks and scratches at times. Interesting that in a hot day I got 220 y. Wasn't able to replicate it. But I believe it was the bad weather. Will try when it's warmer.

I believe with gamer balls I could go close to 240 to 250 y with this new driver

Did not have my best driver swing today but was still able to hit 7/11 fairways with the EXS. Interestingly enough, the 4 missed fairways were struck in the middle of the club face and I just wasn't able to deliver a square club face to the ball. Only one of the 7 fairways hit were struck in the middle of the club face with 5 on the toe end and 2 towards the heel.

Put an adapter on an LA Golf Shafts White Tie today so hope to give that a go on Sunday. Going to set that one up a little shorter at 45" than the shaft I currently have in the driver.

Did not have my best driver swing today but was still able to hit 7/11 fairways with the EXS. Interestingly enough, the 4 missed fairways were struck in the middle of the club face and I just wasn't able to deliver a square club face to the ball. Only one of the 7 fairways hit were struck in the middle of the club face with 5 on the toe end and 2 towards the heel.

Put an adapter on an LA Golf Shafts White Tie today so hope to give that a go on Sunday. Going to set that one up a little shorter at 45" than the shaft I currently have in the driver.

That’s a really solid day Sox.

Hit this today, and !!!!!!

Need to give it another go to make sure it's real

Back