Tour Edge Exotics Wingman 700 Series Putters

No one thinks it could make that much of a difference on a short putt...

I mean 1° of launch variation on a 10ft putt is like an inch offline... arguably wouldn't even notice (other than a missed putt) 🤦‍♂️
Also, Quintic data tells us on a 15 foot putt the face angle needs to be less than 1/2 a degree open or closed to target line to go in. It’s the littlest things that matter the most.

All this is why I’m such a massive supporter of understanding natural aim bias and what shape and setup helps neutralize it the most for the user.

Also, Quintic data tells us on a 15 foot putt the face angle needs to be less than 1/2 a degree open or closed to target line to go in. It’s the littlest things that matter the most.

All this is why I’m such a massive supporter of understanding natural aim bias and what shape and setup helps neutralize it the most for the user.
I never thought of it much until recently and having an accurate LM to check this is pretty cool.

Played 9 holes this afternoon. Had 16 putts, 3 1-puts aided by 2 good chips and one ridiculous 9 iron from 150y out. One 3 putt after a horrible approach that left me roughly 50ft left.

Shot a 39 so the round was pretty good. I was disappointed in my approach shots that left me too many chips and that's the worst part of my game right now.

I focused on ball position to start the ball on my line today a lot and found my speed was off. Luckily it left me 2-3 feet short usually and there I felt fairly confident I could make the putt. I made all of them thank goodness 😂.

I think my putts were starting on my intended line, but it was hard to tell when my longest putt made for the day was 6 feet.

Thanks to THP and being part of the Budget Championship, I was able to play a lot of golf last week, which meant a lot of time with the 706. I played 3 different courses with the 706 and the greens were all very different. I would have loved to have the strokes again data from the V3, but unfortunately, the Shot Scope watch band broke so couldn't use it.

I had a crazy week of putting. I had one round where I felt like I was going to make every putt I stood over to one where I felt like I couldn't make a two footer in consecutive rounds. Part of that is adjusting to different green speeds. During this testing process it doesn't help I've screwed around with grip and posture. I've gone back and forth with a tradition, left-hand low, and claw grip. What I've found with the 706 is that once I get going with it, I putt really well. If my confidence with it fades, it's going to be a long day.

My day of great putting was on the fastest greens I played last week and worst day of putting was on the slowest. Those results are not surprising. I putt better on fast greens--less worrying about the stroke and technique and more focused on getting the ball started on the right line. In a bit of Serendipity (2001) - IMDb, in my warmup to the final round last week, the practice green was still covered in morning dew and I noticed that I was striking the ball on the toe, outside of the center. I adjusted the ball position and found that I was hitting the ball consistently in the center. I made sure I was getting aligned better for my round and ended up putting really well that day.

All of this to say, I think the Lock-On technology has brought alignment issues I have to the forefront.

I picked up one of these and so far have had one round. I was a little concerned with the sound when I unwrapped it from it's plastic. It has a very strange sound which I was not expecting, and I can see this has been noted in this thread.

I couldn't hole a damn putt. Even missing short ones which is not normal for me. I think I will need to spend some time practicing with this new flatstick. It was working so well when I was testing new putters and beat out the new TM Spiders for pace control and feel. However, this was with the plastic on the front! Hopefully I start dropping some bombs with it and the purchase will feel more justified.

I picked up one of these and so far have had one round. I was a little concerned with the sound when I unwrapped it from it's plastic. It has a very strange sound which I was not expecting, and I can see this has been noted in this thread.

I couldn't hole a damn putt. Even missing short ones which is not normal for me. I think I will need to spend some time practicing with this new flatstick. It was working so well when I was testing new putters and beat out the new TM Spiders for pace control and feel. However, this was with the plastic on the front! Hopefully I start dropping some bombs with it and the purchase will feel more justified.
Sole the putter as flat as you can and line up the Lock On.

I found myself standing closer to the ball than I was used to. Once I got on board with the position, everything made sense. Except the sound. Still not my favorite

Another fairly average day on the greens with this. 33 putts, 5 1-putts, 2 3-putts.

The 5 1-puts were all inside of ten feet. 4 were after chips to save par or bogey and one was a birdie putt of 8 feet after quite possibly the best 9-iron I've ever hit on a par 3.

The 3-putts were disappointing because I felt I put good rolls on the ~50 footers I had but left myself with about 10ft left and blasted it through the break. Lag putting has never been a strength and with me only playing 10-15 times per year usually, I don't get the feel on the greens for those long putts

I played 3 straight days (Thursday, Friday ,Saturday) and the 706 performed beautifully. Thursday was league championship and I had 3 1-putts, a couple of great lag putts one for tap in par and the the other saved a bogey.
Friday in a charity outing, it was on fire. Held its line great, drained a couple of 15+ foot putts.
Saturday, league outing scramble, 4 1-putts, a few burned edges. Two of my playing partners wouldn’t bring their putters, they wanted to use mine.
Overall, this just keeps on performing and instills confidence.

After working on keeping the ball a touch farther back in my stance to help with direction (thanks @Jman ), I've noticed the ball starting online and that I'm able to keep the Lock-On alignment lines "aligned" easier. I know that has been mentioned here that the lie angle and set up is key with these putters, but now with a "more correct" putting stance/setup for myself, I'm finding using this alignment aid is easier

Played today while I didn’t make any putts of significance, distance control was good and burned lots of edges. Missed putts today were more because of misreads than anything else.

I do find myself wondering if I would see even more success with one of the larger, more forgiving models. There is some distance loss on the 706 if you are missing the middle.

I seem to be in the minority but I do like the sound/feel.

Got out for another 9 today and had really solid round of putting. I made a grip change for the last round of the Budget Championship and that has been a good change with the Wingman.
Today was a good day of putting. Was getting the ball started on line and made good ones. I have gone from questioning whether I could putt at all with the Wingman to feeling very comfortable with it. With the grip change, I’m getting the Lock-On technology to line up correctly and not having to fiddle with my setup.

Got out for another 9 today and had really solid round of putting. I made a grip change for the last round of the Budget Championship and that has been a good change with the Wingman.
Today was a good day of putting. Was getting the ball started on line and made good ones. I have gone from questioning whether I could putt at all with the Wingman to feeling very comfortable with it. With the grip change, I’m getting the Lock-On technology to line up correctly and not having to fiddle with my setup.
Grip change meaning hand placement or moved on from the Sink Fit?

Grip change meaning hand placement or moved on from the Sink Fit?
Still have the Sink Fit on it. Switched to a claw grip. Never thought I would be using it but here we are.

I think I'm a convert to the mini mallet from a wide blade. My putting stats haven't gotten much better, but I feel that I'm starting the ball on line more, speed is the issue right now. Since I don't have a home course I play all the time the variability in the greens I play probably plays a factor, but with the Lock-On technology I have added confidence (probably why I've blasted some putts through the break recently)

I think I'm a convert to the mini mallet from a wide blade. My putting stats haven't gotten much better, but I feel that I'm starting the ball on line more, speed is the issue right now. Since I don't have a home course I play all the time the variability in the greens I play probably plays a factor, but with the Lock-On technology I have added confidence (probably why I've blasted some putts through the break recently)
I wish I had more stats to compare with my blade and mallet so I could break it down. Do you do any stat tracking with your putter?

I wish I had more stats to compare with my blade and mallet so I could break it down. Do you do any stat tracking with your putter?
Yes, as best I can. I will run some rounds from Shot Scope to see for sure, but I don't think the numbers were significantly different

Played today and one of my playing partners remarked on how small 706 is and that it is off putting being that small and is intimidating. The other, who has played a blade his entire life until recently he's tried a Spider, really liked the size of it. The Spider doesn't fit his eye due to its size, but said he could game the 706. He also remarked on how much he liked the roll the 706 puts on the ball. For what it's worth, he has gamed Scotty Camerons in the past and is a very good putter.

Their reactions to the putter got me thinking about the value of a compact mallet and its target audience. Personally, coming from a blade, the 706 was the most appealing to me. I putted well today and have had plenty of good rounds with it. TEE has gotten the sound/feel right on the 706. I've said it plenty of times, but I really do like putting with it. The ball rolls off the face smoothly on-line and I don't see the ball bouncing or skidding.

Do I think it's the most forgiving mallet? No. TEE states the other mallets in the line are more forgiving options. It is obvious when I don't hit the ball in the center of the face, which is to be expected on a smaller mallet.

Getting along ok with this putter still. I have now realized my green reading, for lack of a better words, sucks :LOL:.

I had 34 putts yesterday...2 3-putts from about 50 feet, 4 1-putts, 2 birdies. Longest putt was only 8 feet (for birdie). Other birdie was a 2 foot tap in after I had 20 feet for eagle 🤬. I guess I wasn't expecting to make that one, but was hoping for it.

I had a disappointing 2-putt from 12 feet which was a pure misread, speed was great, line was exactly where I wanted, but just missed it low side (by almost 2 feet).

I am not putting "better" in terms of # of putts per round with this, but I feel like I'm putting "better" with speed and the line I want to putt on. The issue is now with my eyes. Is there anyway to learn how to read greens better?

Getting along ok with this putter still. I have now realized my green reading, for lack of a better words, sucks :LOL:.

I had 34 putts yesterday...2 3-putts from about 50 feet, 4 1-putts, 2 birdies. Longest putt was only 8 feet (for birdie). Other birdie was a 2 foot tap in after I had 20 feet for eagle 🤬. I guess I wasn't expecting to make that one, but was hoping for it.

I had a disappointing 2-putt from 12 feet which was a pure misread, speed was great, line was exactly where I wanted, but just missed it low side (by almost 2 feet).

I am not putting "better" in terms of # of putts per round with this, but I feel like I'm putting "better" with speed and the line I want to putt on. The issue is now with my eyes. Is there anyway to learn how to read greens better?
My green reading isn’t great either. Ive noticed an improvement in my 6-10 foot putts since I've gotten the 706 back on track.

My green reading isn’t great either. Ive noticed an improvement in my 6-10 foot putts since I've gotten the 706 back on track.
I have to manually pull some stats from Shot Scope and show here, but my under 10ft with the 706 has been better than my other putters. My 10-20ft, needs some work.

Played yesterday and I'm finding my groove again with the 706. Distance control was really good. The greens were slick yesterday and I had some long putts and almost every long putt was within the grip.

Thinking back on my experience with the 706, the distance control has been a standout.

The plan is to get back out tomorrow for another round and should be able to update either tomorrow evening or during the week.

Well unless I go anywhere warm in the next 6 months, my golf season might be over...heard rumbling of a snow flurry on Tuesday 🥶

I was most impressed with the 706 this year. I had attempted two mallets ever in the past and both were horrible for me. I couldn't get the speed down and actually had some of my worst putting ever with some big names mallet putters. I thought I was a blade guy through and through.

Low and behold the 706 mid (mini) mallet🤯

I love the lock on technology. It's almost a point now where I set the putter down and if I'm on my line I just feel so confident with the putter (green reading aside 😒).

I wasnt a fan of the sound initially because it was definitely different from my other putters, but it has not hindered performance and I know barely recognize it, unless it's a miss hit.

Glad to get this putter as a part of TEEm and I'd be shocked if it's not in my bag for quite some time. I'm usually a window shopper with putters, but that has all but stopped. Might even sell some of the putters I have in the basement now if they won't see any use

Well unless I go anywhere warm in the next 6 months, my golf season might be over...heard rumbling of a snow flurry on Tuesday 🥶

I was most impressed with the 706 this year. I had attempted two mallets ever in the past and both were horrible for me. I couldn't get the speed down and actually had some of my worst putting ever with some big names mallet putters. I thought I was a blade guy through and through.

Low and behold the 706 mid (mini) mallet🤯

I love the lock on technology. It's almost a point now where I set the putter down and if I'm on my line I just feel so confident with the putter (green reading aside 😒).

I wasnt a fan of the sound initially because it was definitely different from my other putters, but it has not hindered performance and I know barely recognize it, unless it's a miss hit.

Glad to get this putter as a part of TEEm and I'd be shocked if it's not in my bag for quite some time. I'm usually a window shopper with putters, but that has all but stopped. Might even sell some of the putters I have in the basement now if they won't see any use
Love hearing how well you’ve gotten along with the 706. I played yesterday and had one of my best putting rounds of the year with the 706. The grip change to the claw has really helped with my putting and allowed me to see what the 706 can do.

I believe I’m on round 3 or 4 with no 3 putts. And it’s not for lack of trying. Greens were fast yesterday and I was able the hole a lot. I rolled 4 putts 6–10 feet by yesterday and made all the comebackers.
Changing my grip has helped with the Lock-On, which is nice confidence boost when standing over a putt.

For the first time in my golfing life, I’ve had back-to-back under par rounds. A huge factor in making that happen was the putter. I’m feeling very confident with the 706. Getting the ball on line is no issue and the roll is smooth.

For the first time in my golfing life, I’ve had back-to-back under par rounds. A huge factor in making that happen was the putter. I’m feeling very confident with the 706. Getting the ball on line is no issue and the roll is smooth.
Congrats on the great rounds

Back