Tour Edge - Exotics XCG Irons, Are they any good?

crazygolfnut

Let's have fun out there!
Reaction score
Handicap
My quest for a new set of irons has started. I spent some time at the local golf store when a local club fitter introduced me to Tour Edge - Exotics XCG Irons. To be honest I do not know much about the brand or this model. The store has a complete fitting cart and are willing to provide just about any options you can ask for. Also, while I was in the store, they dropped the price by $100 which makes me wonder if they are going to be replaced by a newer model.

So what do you think? Are these irons any good?

FYI, my current short list of potential next set of irons are:
Adams a7
Mizuno MX300
Ping i15
Maybe Tour Edge Exotics XCG

Thanks for your thoughts.
:act-up:

They are definitely legit irons. I have never been a huge fan myself, but others simply love them. I have just always thought there were so many other options that were better for the same or less money. If Tour Edge uses their same release chart, then yes, they would be replaced in the next cycle which is around years end.

Nice equipment - can be over priced!

Exotics XCG Irons

Exotics XCG Irons

Any other comments? Could use some more opinions.

Thanks
:act-up:

I play Tour Edge (Bazooka) equipment. After trying them out, I am sorry to say the Exotic lines are not their best products for the money. I tried the EX-3s for 30 days, ( 8 rounds) before sending them back. To me they are geared towards the lower handicap golfer as far as playability goes. That said I don't know anything about the XCG irons. Also, you can save some bucks if you buy from the right TE seller. JMHO

Never played their irons but I love the XCG-V fairway woods. Tried the new hybrids (XCG 3) I and they felt pretty good.

Last year I played with many irons - Titleist AP1 , Mizuno MX100 , Cobra SZ , Mizuno MP57 but the best is Cobra S2 . I think Cobra S2 = new level of our game . :banana:

I dont know I'll swear by my Tour Edge Bazooka Hybrid set, 3-PW best purchase I ever made, for me anyways looking to lower my scores with them even further next year.

JMax Ironwoods? Those are what I will be playing while in Texas next week. 2i though LW. Over the years quite a few folks trying my some of my JMax Ironwoods, have gone on to buy their own sets. My LW could double as a spatula for pancakes. :D

I dont know I'll swear by my Tour Edge Bazooka Hybrid set, 3-PW best purchase I ever made, for me anyways looking to lower my scores with them even further next year.

Yes Provisional, I LOVE THEM the only thing that I didn't like about them was that on 4 or 5 of the clubs on the top of the club head I've got little dots of rust I don't know what will take this off doesn't effect the clubs play but head of the pro shop where I got them out of said that they should not do that after 1 season, i took very good care of them headcovers were on all of the time, warranty is good till feb '10 If I'm stuck with the rust what will remove the spots off the heads ?

I sent an email to a friend about the rust spots. I don't have rust problems with mine, but then again I live in a much drier climate than you do. I know that those head covers (cloth fiber) that come with the Ironwoods will retain moisture if they get wet. Play well...........:clapp:
Yes Provisional, I LOVE THEM the only thing that I didn't like about them was that on 4 or 5 of the clubs on the top of the club head I've got little dots of rust I don't know what will take this off doesn't effect the clubs play but head of the pro shop where I got them out of said that they should not do that after 1 season, i took very good care of them headcovers were on all of the time, warranty is good till feb '10 If I'm stuck with the rust what will remove the spots off the heads ?

Exotics xCG were my first real set of irons. Now that I can consistently hit them, they are very enjoyable clubs and have a great feel. To my surprise, they actually produce a good amount of spin with the 7-SW. Really enjoyable clubs, but if you play golf often then getting a little better irons wouldnt hurt.[h=2][/h]

Used XCG clubs seem to sell for decent prices. Looking at some XCG4's and for under $100 if they're a good set of clubs it's a great deal. Question for me is ... are they an upgrade over my HiBore XLi's?

I'm chomping at the bit to get to away from the hyron club style but don't have a budget to buy new (or even slightly used) at this point.

XCG4 is a good iron. There's a guy on here who has them and they seem to hold up well.

I think the XCG4 was the most SGI of the XCG irons that I've seen. Most of the Exotics irons seem to be more GI.

]
404867693.jpg
Do they look like this ? Yes imo they are a great club been gaming now for 3 yrs. would buy again if I could....

I hit the new XCG7 irons at a demo day several weeks ago. They absolutely blew away everything else I tried that day. Unfortunately, my local store doesn't stock them so I haven't been able to go back and hit them again yet to see if it was just a one time thing.

Last edited:
99srxman is the person who I know has been playing XCG4s. He was kind enough to send me pictures a while back and the mirrored PVD was holding up well -- definitely better than standard PVD finishes. This is coming from someone who is admittedly highly anal about club condition.

The chromed sole wears well too. That should hold up much better than a PVD'd sole.

I've got to say, I'm looking at the Tour Edge Exotics lines really hard right now. If I can broker a sweet deal, I'm more than likely willing to pull the trigger and take my chances as to whether or not they're a good fit.

I've got to say, I'm looking at the Tour Edge Exotics lines really hard right now. If I can broker a sweet deal, I'm more than likely willing to pull the trigger and take my chances as to whether or not they're a good fit.
Just got a pretty good deal for the XCG-6 line on eBay. They will arrive next week. Will write up a review once I get them in hand and start working with them. Still haven't been fit for irons, but for the price I got these for, I figured it was worth a shot. We'll see how it goes. They're marketed as SGI irons and every where I've read, they really get the ball up in the air in a hurry (which is something I struggle with from time to time). I hit the XCG-7's briefly at a demo day when CJ and Gio were in town and we golfed with Joey. We'll see how this goes.

Just got a pretty good deal for the XCG-6 line on eBay. They will arrive next week. Will write up a review once I get them in hand and start working with them. Still haven't been fit for irons, but for the price I got these for, I figured it was worth a shot. We'll see how it goes. They're marketed as SGI irons and every where I've read, they really get the ball up in the air in a hurry (which is something I struggle with from time to time). I hit the XCG-7's briefly at a demo day when CJ and Gio were in town and we golfed with Joey. We'll see how this goes.
I'll be interested to hear you thought comparing the XCG6 to the XCG7 irons. I really want to spend some more time with the 7's.

Last edited:
Not sure about the 7's but the xcg 4 really get's em up there some times a little to much for my liking but still a great club easy to hit was fit for mine at golf tec good luck let us know how they work out....

Digging up an old thread here, but I got the XCG6’s as an experiment to see how graphite shafts work for me.

Played my first round with them today, hit a small bag on the range to see how they compared to my old set of Cobra Amp Cell irons. These are solid for sure. The ball flight is pretty awesome, they certainly get up in the air, and I was able to move the ball left and right, as well as I can with anything. The UST IRN shafts in these are pretty nice.
The only club I’ve got any problems with is the 5 iron, I’m sure that’s operator error more than anything.

Back