Review Tour Edge EXS 220H Irons

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Tour Edge has been offering some really good products for years and one product that hasn't been talked about much here is the Tour Edge EXS 220H iron set.

The EXS 220H Iron is a hollow body hybrid/iron made for higher handicap or younger players looking to get the benefit of a hybrid and the control of an Iron. I would compare these to the Cleveland HB Launchers, but they have more of an iron look. The black finish really stands out and gives the club a premium look. I would actually say this iron set is more of a cross-over of a rescue club and an iron. But, does the iron actually perform for those that are looking for that extra help? First, this set is not designed for me in mind, but I got these to help my son who is a brand new golfer and just starting out there. He was very impressed and I also had a ton of fun playing with these this past month.

IMG_2977.jpg

This club has a ton of tech built in to help the young or higher handicapped golfer. You have the already mentioned hollow-bodied design to help with distance, a cup face that is to help promote better ball speed, VFT tech, and a TPE polymer to help increase the sweet spot, provide good absorption, and what is said to be a "trampoline effect". These irons have a max MOI design as well.

IMG_2973.jpg

For the shaft, these came in the KBS TGI Tour Graphite shaft. I believe these are 80-grams and are built exactly for this iron set based on swing speed. The weight of the irons during my rounds playing felt incredibly comfortable. When asking my son, he felt that he could easily feel the clubhead and liked how they felt hitting the ball. He didn't feel a ton of vibration on his mishits.

IMG_2978.jpg

Speaking of his mishits, I would say the clubface does as advertised and helped him with his distance and looked very forgiving. I also noticed a nice little distance improvement from my normal gamer irons. We were playing on the simulators and inside mats, so fat shots are tougher to judge, but I could see that when he hit really fat the wider sole did help him with making better contact. During my rounds playing the wider sole was like hitting a hybrid club. I couldn't move the ball, but then again, I really can't move the ball anyway so that isn't something I was worried about. I also think there is a good bit of off-set in these clubs as another feature to help the higher handicap player in squaring the club.

IMG_2975.jpg

When looking at the club at address, you will notice the larger footprint. This would probably not be for all golfers, but again these are not meant for all golfers and those that are just starting out or need that help will greatly enjoy the extra thickness when seeing their ball flight. I wouldn't call these irons super-strong lofted, but they are also not light lofted either. The clubs measure from the 4-iron at 19 degrees, 7-iron at 27.5 degrees, down to the GW at 51-degrees.

I am not a big judge on sound for an iron, but these sounded just like any other iron I have played. I didn't notice anything different being they were a hollow-bodied cross-over. I tried to play thin shots, fat shots, off the toe and off the heal, and the forgiveness and sound stayed right there as one would like and feel.

All in all, I think for anyone that has that young golfer or maybe is a higher handicap player that wants to have a good time out playing. This iron set will fit you/them very nicely.

What's on the back side of those irons? They look like the weights used to balance tires.

What's on the back side of those irons? They look like the weights used to balance tires.
I believe you are speaking on the five protruding bars on the back of the club.

If so these, from my understanding, are part of the SpiderWeb VFT (Variable Face Technology) and LaunchPad Technology to help with the vibration, increase ball speed, and help increase the sweet spot in the irons.

Here is a picture that I believe explains better. The highlighted section I believe is those five bars.

EXS 220H.PNG

I believe you are speaking on the five protruding bars on the back of the club.

If so these, from my understanding, are part of the SpiderWeb VFT (Variable Face Technology) and LaunchPad Technology to help with the vibration, increase ball speed, and help increase the sweet spot in the irons.

Here is a picture that I believe explains better. The highlighted section I believe is those five bars.

View attachment 8996276
That would be it. Thank you 👊

That weight is interesting in that it is so high up on the back of the face. You'd think clubs in this class would would strive to keep it low and back.

It looks like almost an updated, with a bit of a cavity of my iron-wood set, looks like a great set.

That weight is interesting in that it is so high up on the back of the face. You'd think clubs in this class would would strive to keep it low and back.

I would actually say the wide sole and extra weight do have a good deal of bottom and back weight. I don't think the 5 bars on the back have a great deal of weight. most of the weight seems to be bottom back on the sole

Back