Tour Edge HL4 Iron-Woods and Hybrids

I gamed these HL4 clubs today. Man these are good quality clubs. The whole line is solid, but I think the FW's and Iron Woods are the standouts. The FW's are long with a good launch angle, and the Iron Woods are very forgiving. I like offset, so I have to say I play better with these better than I did with my beloved Altitudes I gamed for so many years. Tour Edge did a top-notch job.

sabig27;n8898160 said:
I gamed these HL4 clubs today. Man these are good quality clubs. The whole line is solid, but I think the FW's and Iron Woods are the standouts. The FW's are long with a good launch angle, and the Iron Woods are very forgiving. I like offset, so I have to say I play better with these better than I did with my beloved Altitudes I gamed for so many years. Tour Edge did a top-notch job.

How’s the 5 and 6 hybrid ? The HL3 hybrids were the only hybrids I’ve ever tried that didn’t automatically turn over for me. I started losing shots right and panicked lol.

The hybrids are good but nothing too different than other hybrids. My miss is a slice, so I had the lie adjusted up by Tour Edge, which helped a ton. What is weird is the hybrids do not have offset like the ironwoods and fairways have. Doesn’t make sense to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sabig27;n8898503 said:
The hybrids are good but nothing too different than other hybrids. My miss is a slice, so I had the lie adjusted up by Tour Edge, which helped a ton. What is weird is the hybrids do not have offset like the ironwoods and fairways have. Doesn’t make sense to me

I noticed that when handling them in the shop yesterday.

Kinda bummed as our two local TEE sellers are not carrying the HL4 demos this year. 1 had the line on rack which was nice but they won’t let you hit them. ????

erock9174;n8898660 said:
I noticed that when handling them in the shop yesterday.

Kinda bummed as our two local TEE sellers are not carrying the HL4 demos this year. 1 had the line on rack which was nice but they won’t let you hit them. ????

Doesn't TEE have a demo thing going on? As in you try it after so many days and you like it its yours if not send it back?

That is for the 6 ironwood, not the hybrids I think

sabig27;n8898693 said:
That is for the 6 ironwood, not the hybrids I think

Gotcha. Sorry im being lazy and havnt looked

So, I went to the range today since the 3,4&5 ironwoods showed up.

Regular flex stock graphite shafts.

The 4 may be my new favorite club. Off tee or turf it went high and straight. Like the six iron, it was a tad longer than my R flex steel shaft Launcher HBs.

The three was pretty sweet as well, but I did mishit it a few times (trying to kill the ball). I'm thinking it will be great off the tee.

photo37021.jpgphoto37034.jpg

Had a chance to hit my HL4 6i demos in Graphite and Steel
At the range the Graphite seemed better for me. But today on the course I hit a few test shots and the steel was better.
In terms of builds, I ordered them both stock.
Shaft length on my 60* bench ruler was 37 7/8" (Spec is 37.75" so this is spot on) to end of grip for both clubs.
Swing Weight was D2.5 on each which I found interesting given the shafts are about 30g different.
Total weight of the club: Steel = 409g; Graphite = 381g

On the course today, the Steel proved better. I had a hard time keeping track of the head with the graphite shaft so I gave up on it early in the testing.
The lighter steel shaft is comparable to what I normally play in the Modus 105 and True Temper 85.

Off the tee on layup shots with the Steel version I was 3/3.
On Par 3's I was 1/1 with it (160 yds).
On a par 4 approach 160 yds I shanked one then hit another and ended up just short and left of the green.

As far as distance I was hitting it as long if not sometimes a tick further than my 26/27* 6i that I had with me today - 160 yds (which is about a half club shorter than normal -- it was only 50* this morning).
Given the HL4 is 29*, it's weaker lofted by almost a club compared to my 6 irons but the shaft length is like my 6i so I think that helps keep the swing and ball speed up.
The peak height seemed higher than my normal 6i and descent angle seemed steeper which is good for me as sometimes I can struggle with elevating my 6i.
I went and hit them on a Trackman yesterday but unfortunately had a snafu when trying to email the results to myself and they never came over. So I don't have any numbers to share.

As for looks, the head is definitely on the larger end and there is some offset present. The lie angle seemed a tad upright which suits my eye. Also at address I kept wanting to close the face a little. I am not sure if this is the offset messing with me but it never seemed to negatively impact my results.

Ball flight was a high gentle draw on each shot and very consistent.

Versatility - I don't get too creative with shot making, but I always use my 6i to punch out from trees and such. I only tried this once today and the low hooded punch shot came out fine and ended up near the green.

Feel/Sound - nothing offputting there. The Steel shaft today on the course actually felt like it had a bit of kick to it through impact. Neat sensation similar to my Modus 105 in my Ping irons.

Attachments

• photo37030.jpg
    photo37030.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 3
IMG_0192.jpg More pics

Attachments

• IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 7
Next to a Cleveland 588 Altitude
IMG_0189.jpg

I did pick up an HL4 5h yesterday. With the success that I had with the Fairways and a 30 day play guarantee, felt like I had nothing to lose.
TBH the looks and the light shaft remind me of the Honma BeZeal 525 hybrid that I really liked.
I ordered it and shipped the next day. I'll have it in play tomorrow.

Great review Erock. The whole HL4 is solid, especially for the price. For those who don’t know, you can go to Tour Edge website and order from there with customization options.

Nice review erock! Like I said before, even as a skeptic to this type of head type, the HL4 ironwoods are too fun not to hit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If ordering the iron-woods from TE, is it possible to adjust loft, or just lie and length?

hartman29;n8902663 said:
If ordering the iron-woods from TE, is it possible to adjust loft, or just lie and length?

Contact TE Customer Service. They’ll let you know. They’re really good. They also responded to emails pretty quickly.

The ironwoods (3,4,5,6) and irons (7,8,9,pw,aw) have knocked the Launchers out of my bag.

The graphite shafts are really noticable with a few of my old injuries that routinely hurt after a round.

Granted, the Launchers with graphite would probably been just as good, but they would have cost just as much as the HL's to re-shaft.

Iceman!;n8902804 said:
Contact TE Customer Service. They’ll let you know. They’re really good. They also responded to emails pretty quickly.

Matt with TEE in customer service was great. Ask for him

2BFAST;n8907925 said:
Matt with TEE in customer service was great. Ask for him

Yup. Both my orders through him were filled and shipped quickly and accurately. He also made it easy to use the veteran's discount over the phone.

If you e-mail the customer service link on the website, he replied quickly.

Enjoy they are great clubs

Kind of funny... I can't wait to get home and hit my HL4 Ironwood. The thing is growing on me. :D

I think its great they offer the option to do a trial club.

I think its great they offer the option to do a trial club.

me too just wish it was the 4 or 5 iron...but at the $39 price i should be able to get a good feel for if i will be ordering another one later on...will report some results later...fingers crossed it will be here by golf night on thursday.

My 5 hybrid is going back as I didn't get the distance that I need it from it.
Got the Stiff, should have gotten the Regular Flex.
Other than the flex, it was easy to hit and felt great.
It's a great value.

Back