Tour Edge HL4 Iron-Woods and Hybrids

My graphite 6IW is going back. Just not a graphite iron player.
The jury is still out on the 6iw in steel. In Friday's round I did pretty well with it and hit some GIR.
But on Saturday's round out of some light rough and even the fairway it felt a bit heavy through impact (my hybrids have a low swingweight (C7ish) and my G700 irons that I normally play are about a C7 in the 6i. So perhaps it might just be that the D2.5 is a bit heavy for me in that slot.
I'll give it another week or two to decide on whether or not I keep it.

So im kinda coming around on this club here lately. After a short range sesh working on another deal, someone left half a bag of balls next to me so I grabbed my HL4 and decided to give it some work. Soft, high, and effortless. Its actually a fun club when its all said and done. Now I cant get the numbers Hulk Kevin can but I was getting it out there pretty good for me. Its hard to believe something can feel and perform like this at the price its at.

For $36 or $39 whatever it is for the trial to try out this club and your on the brink of trying out this or any Tour Edge club your crazy for not giving it a go. HL4 is for sure a huge bang for the buck

the biggest difference you will notice will be the offset.

The Cleveland Launcher HB/588 Altitude/Hibore Lines have less offset than most blade style irons. For example the 6i HB has less offset than my G700 PW.

The HL4 has a boat load of offset. I’m not knocking them just pointing this out as a difference you may notice between them.
Was wondering about the offset and u kind of answered my concern on these....feel like for me too much offset creates a lot of issues...thx

looks like my trial club is showing up today (fast shipping!) where are you guys playing as far as ball position with these?
same as my 6 iron or move it a bit forward?

looks like my trial club is showing up today (fast shipping!) where are you guys playing as far as ball position with these?
same as my 6 iron or move it a bit forward?

Whatever is comfortable for whatever shot you are trying to manufacture

so quick thoughts after 3 shots that i hit out behind work during lunch a bit ago.
played middle of my stance...first shot hammered it but a pull....second shot was fat and while the ball went straight it was going nowhere...third shot was a nice high 5 yard fade that i would take 10 out of 10 times...going to take to the course tomorrow and will probably be using it on 2nd shots on the par 5's...dont really have a par 3 i can use this on my home course.

Well the #6 HL4 iw is great and has replaced my 7i. It is a bit longer than the 7i at 29* while the jacked 7i is 30*.

Most likely I’ll add the HL4 #5 at 26* and new 7i-pw at higher lofts than my current set. I’m learning to match lofts rather than the club #.

Was wondering about the offset and u kind of answered my concern on these....feel like for me too much offset creates a lot of issues...thx

To be fair, I don't think the offset is out of line compared to most GI/SGI irons. Probably very similar to most if you measured them. I am just comparing it to the 588 Altitude/HB line of Cleveland irons which has very little offset (actually less than some blade irons). So the Clevelands are sort of the anomaly.

Having said all that, I have continued to test the 6iw in steel and while its produced some decent shots for me, I don't think it's the one for me. Like the HL3 ironwood when I tested it, the HL4 wants to draw pretty hard on me. For me, at address the face wants to sit closed to my eye. I know I could just open it back up but I prefer to sole a club as it wants to rest on its own. I don't know if this is the sole design or offset playing a role.

I had a chance to give it a decent workout on the course the other day. I hit 6 test shots on two different holes from 160 out. Both were slight downhill holes; 1 set of tests were from the 1st cut of rough, the other set of shots were from the fairway.

6 total balls with the 588 Altitude and my results were 5 out of 6 hit the green, 3 rolled to the back fringe, 2 rolled off (flier type lie) and 1 ended up just off the right.
6 total balls with the HL4 and 1 ended up in the left fringe, the other 5 missed left (mix of short and long distance).
The biggest difference was the flight, both flew high, but the draw was much more pronounced with the HL4. To where the Altitude ended up where I was aiming.

To be fair, I don't think the offset is out of line compared to most GI/SGI irons. Probably very similar to most if you measured them. I am just comparing it to the 588 Altitude/HB line of Cleveland irons which has very little offset (actually less than some blade irons). So the Clevelands are sort of the anomaly.

Having said all that, I have continued to test the 6iw in steel and while its produced some decent shots for me, I don't think it's the one for me. Like the HL3 ironwood when I tested it, the HL4 wants to draw pretty hard on me. For me, at address the face wants to sit closed to my eye. I know I could just open it back up but I prefer to sole a club as it wants to rest on its own. I don't know if this is the sole design or offset playing a role.

I had a chance to give it a decent workout on the course the other day. I hit 6 test shots on two different holes from 160 out. Both were slight downhill holes; 1 set of tests were from the 1st cut of rough, the other set of shots were from the fairway.

6 total balls with the 588 Altitude and my results were 5 out of 6 hit the green, 3 rolled to the back fringe, 2 rolled off (flier type lie) and 1 ended up just off the right.
6 total balls with the HL4 and 1 ended up in the left fringe, the other 5 missed left (mix of short and long distance).
The biggest difference was the flight, both flew high, but the draw was much more pronounced with the HL4. To where the Altitude ended up where I was aiming.

Why don't you check and possibly adjust the lie angle?

The HL4 is still a great fairway finder for me. Just high strait launch time after time. The only miss is my delivery, but the distance is never off really. I think after getting my new Titleist irons I will throw this in my son's bag. It will be a good club for him as a beginner on almost every par 3.

Why don't you check and possibly adjust the lie angle?

I’ve hit balls with lines on them and the test showed my lie angle was fine. Face at impact is simply too closed.

hit about 5 shots with the HL4 6 iron last night...overall i would say it was a sucess, a few of the shots flew lower then i wouldve liked but for what i was using it for it got the job done. also had one awesome punch out from tree trouble with it...need some time at the range with it, but i can see it sticking around in the bag for some late season rounds...contemplating the 4 iron now.

The 4 is money off the tee for me.

The regular irons don't seem to lose anything to my old steel shafted irons.

I think I'm going to keep them around for a while and work on the Indian instead of the arrow.

I currently have a HL3 #3 ironwood, #4 Bazooka Platinum and #6 HL4 ironwood and they are all equally easy to hit. Looking to add the HL4 #5 next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice JB, both THP and Tour Edge are rocking it!

Right on!

Was just thinking about it this morning how much that club has grown on me. I came in to this test with my mind already made up that I won't like it due to its looks. But the more I hit it, and the longer I see positive results, the more I can't wait to hit it. I'm definitely putting a different shaft in it though. Needs more backbone.

Well, I played 18 Friday, 54 Saturday, and 18 Sunday.

I'd played the mixed set (HL4 ironwood 3-6, HL4 irons 7-AW) only once at an executive nine, and a range session, so it was literally trial by fire at my annual guy's weekend.

In the end, they are simply amazing for me. The graphite shafts allowed me to play pain free after several fat shots into the ground that would normally have my shoulder throbbing. I don't give up any distance, and the accuracy of the "regular" irons seems to be at least as good as my Calloway Diablo Edge irons, but with an amazing lack of the pain I suffered when playing a lot with steel shafts.

The 4iw allowed me to finally hit the green and two-putt par the 194 yard par three third hole at Thumper Pond twice out of three rounds played.

The 6iw and 5iw both allowed me to actually hit at greens from the previously elusive 160-185 range without fear. Well, without too much fear.

In the end, coupled with my fairway-finding Launcher HB 5w putting me in a LOT of fairways, the HL4 irons and ironwoods allowed me to finally win back the coveted guys weekend "lowest round of the weekend" trophy!!!!

Is everyone using this more off the tee or on the fairway?

I use my ironwoods off the deck mostly. Since I have had zero success with traditional hybrids I decided to give these a try. Currently I have HL3, HL4 and Bazooka Platinum iws and I hit them all decently off the deck or tee.

I haven't hit mine off the tee yet. It's all been approach shots on par 5's, or the range so far.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Both. Mainly from the fairway, but I tee them up on par 3's, and the 4iw I've used on holes where a 200 yard shot is good.

In the end, coupled with my fairway-finding Launcher HB 5w putting me in a LOT of fairways, the HL4 irons and ironwoods allowed me to finally win back the coveted guys weekend "lowest round of the weekend" trophy!!!!

Very cool goalie. Thanks for sharing

Fairway mainly for me

I haven't hit mine off the tee yet. It's all been approach shots on par 5's, or the range so far.

If you carry it 240/50 with this thing im not sure why you don't! #beastmode

Back