Tour Edge Hot Launch 521 Extreme and Competition Series

Ask you and shall receive :)

Got out for a quick 9 yesterday. Course was pretty dead as it was in the 40's.
Unfortunately I didn't have a shot for score requiring a 5h shot. But I did bring them with me. And on 5 of the holes I stopped at my usual 5h yardage and hit all 3.

Some general comments:

EXS220 - larger head, mini fairway wood looking. Lower flying than the 521's for me and every shot drew or hooked on me. I am thinking that KBS70 shaft might be too low spin for me. It feels pretty stout for an R flex and you don't feel lit kick as much through impact as the 521 shafts.
It's a bomber though because of the draw flight would bounce and roll a lot. So my guess is on a monitor it would be the longest of the 3. Great sounding club like the driver is.
E521 - shallow face and stretched out head is obvious. The most confidence inspiring over the ball for me of the 3 clubs. The offset it there and it just screams easy to launch.

C521 - Most compact shape of the 3. Over the ball you have that sense of accuracy with the profile. Sort of reminds me of the Callaway swollen toe hybrid ook. The overall package is very slick looking with the all black top, mostly black sole, black grip and matte black Rogue shaft.

On course testing:
1st test hole - Fairway approach shot, hole runs slightly uphill.
EXS220 - Hit the left side of the green just past pin high. Mid height tight draw flight.
C521 - nice high flight but pushed it just right of the green pin high.
E521 - nice high flight but it slightly faded just right of the green just past pin high. All 3 nearly went virtually the same distance.

2nd Test hole - I purposely put the ball on a slight downslope and in a spot with hardly any grass.
EXS220 - Slight pull hook that nearly went into the greenside pond but it held up on the fringe. Butt was puckered up though, lol
C521 hit a dart right at the pin and it ended up about 6' past it.
E521 slight fade that ended up just past pin high and just off to the right.

3rd Test hole- Par 5 layup shot from the fairway
EXS220 - Hooked it into the pond.
E521 and C521 slightly pushed into the right rough just off the fairway. Both would have been fine results.

4th test hole - Par 3 over a pond.
EXS220 - Long and left of the green.
E521 and C521 - ended up hitting them into the green side trap right pin high. There was a left to right wind so I am not sure if the wind was taking them or if it was the ball just fading a little.

5th test hole - Fairway approach shot...
More of the same. EXS220 missed left and the 521's had the high ball that kept wanting to leak right.

All and all, none of them really wow'd me, but off the bat if I had to eliminate one it would be the EXS220. While I prefer a tight draw, this one I kept over cooking too far right and the flight was too low.
I think the KBS 70 shaft is not that good of a fit for me.
@Desmond mentioned he got this one in the 60 A flex and honestly that might have been a better option for me as well given this is 70g shaft and heavier than what I am normally used to playing in my hybrids (62g).

The Fubuki and Rogue shafts in the 521's seemed fine for my swing speed (I was hitting these all around 165-175).

One of the surprising things is I thought the E521 would be a hook machine for me given I usually draw the ball. Exactly opposite. It wanted to fade more than the other 2. So I don't know if the head is lagging because of the shaft of what. It has the lightest shaft of the 3 (Fubuki 55g).

Playing 18 tomorrow and won't be able to bring them all to test so the decision will be do I bring along the EXS220, C521 or E521.
I think based on yesterday's results I am leaning toward the C521.

Any questions please ask away !!

The A flex is a lot easier to get up in the air and kicks - took it out for a quick spin. It's now more about consistency. Will hit it on the range again today. But certainly it is destined to my pull - the GD AD HY 65 R flex. I also have a 75 R flex pull in that shaft - decisions.

The A flex is a lot easier to get up in the air and kicks - took it out for a quick spin. It's now more about consistency. Will hit it on the range again today. But certainly it is destined to my pull - the GD AD HY 65 R flex. I also have a 75 R flex pull in that shaft - decisions.

There is no goldilocks for me with the A flex. The GD AD HY 65 works well in the 19 Hybrid. Will put my other GD AD HY 65 in the 22.

Last edited:
A new vid for these tour edge clubs. Here's one on the fairways. The driver is the same. Almost word for word.

Nice write-up JB

“Biggest launch in our 34 year history” that says a lot.

Adding the C line I think is huge being able to hit both sides of the GI spectrum and expand the customer base for the HL line

looking forward to reading more about it

Adding the C line I think is huge being able to hit both sides of the GI spectrum and expand the customer base for the HL line

to be fair the HL3 and HL4 lines had essentially two lines as well with their standard and offset offerings. I think Tour Edge labeled them separate this time to draw some differentiation between them. Good thing in my opinion. Also they made the lines with some differences this time around. Also good.
different shafts and shapes too.

The maiden round for the E521 3 iron/wood was a huge success, really hot face, great distance and launch, I just need to figure out what shaft to put in it, maybe something to match my iron set. Here it is next to my CBX iron/wood.
IMG_6348.jpeg
It's pretty big at address, but not too bad when thinking about how and when it was usedIMG_6347.jpeg
I think the sole design is great, realyl cuts into the turf nice, I didn't get a chance to use it off a tee on a par 3, but I assume that would help on that one as well, could probably tee it a bit lower than I expect.
IMG_6345.jpeg
The stock headcovers are nice, match the CBX set and the quality is great.IMG_6350.jpeg

on the E series irons, is the houdini sole just there to push the center of gravity back or does it help glide it through the turf? It looks similar to the Cleveland HB3 hybrid-irons.

to be fair the HL3 and HL4 lines had essentially two lines as well with their standard and offset offerings. I think Tour Edge labeled them separate this time to draw some differentiation between them. Good thing in my opinion. Also they made the lines with some differences this time around. Also good.
different shafts and shapes too.

Everyone knows it’s not real until an OEM puts marketing behind it 😀 and gives it a name

on the E series irons, is the houdini sole just there to push the center of gravity back or does it help glide it through the turf? It looks similar to the Cleveland HB3 hybrid-irons.
I can't comment on the Iron-Wood, but I gamed the E521 5h today. I only had one shot from the rough, and thicker rough to boot and it went through so easily it really surprised me and the ball launched super high. Ended up on the back of the green from about 170 out

Gamed the E521 5h today for the first time.
Used it a total of 5 times with very good results.

-- a par 5 2nd shot to advance the ball that ended up in the FW. Led to a par after and up and down.

--par 4 approach I had 165 in from some thicker rough.. it cut through with ease and launched nice and high. all I can figure is it was a low spin flier, or it landed hard or maybe right in front and took a hop but anyway it ran to the back of the green--unfortunately, the pin was up front and after a bag lag, 3 putted for a bogey.

-- #9 was the only poor shot. not the clubs fault.. par 3 uphill. it was the perfect yardage but I yanked it left

-- #12 - par 3 downhill shot. I didn't catch it flush but it still caught the front of the green.
No one was behind us so I hit a 2nd test shot...this one was right at the flag and ended up about 15'.

#16 - par 3, uphill. Caught it really nice, ball never left its line and hit it pin high for an easy par.

So all and all other than the yank job on #9 it was a really good first outing with it. Would definitely bag it again.

The one I hit from the rough really surprised me how it just cut right through. no way would I have been able to hit a 5i or 6i so cleanly through the rough like that and still launch the ball like it did. Might be something to the shallow face and Houdini sole.

Finally saw the 521 line in the shop at the indoor dome yesterday. I LOVE the look of the C521 fairways. Black head and black shaft, looked so slick. Gave it a couple waggles and I can understand why a few of you guys are saying go a flex up, I grabbed a regular and it seemed a little "noodle-ly" And by no mean am I swinging as fast or as built like a DJ or Kopeka.

For those of you who have hit the C521 fairway wood, what are your thoughts? Has anyone hit it and the HL4 fairways from last year and can compare? Shop had a couple of those left as well, and while I don't need another fairway wood, the price/looks/value here might be too good to pass up.

TIA.

Finally saw the 521 line in the shop at the indoor dome yesterday. I LOVE the look of the C521 fairways. Black head and black shaft, looked so slick. Gave it a couple waggles and I can understand why a few of you guys are saying go a flex up, I grabbed a regular and it seemed a little "noodle-ly" And by no mean am I swinging as fast or as built like a DJ or Kopeka.

For those of you who have hit the C521 fairway wood, what are your thoughts? Has anyone hit it and the HL4 fairways from last year and can compare? Shop had a couple of those left as well, and while I don't need another fairway wood, the price/looks/value here might be too good to pass up.

TIA.
Haven’t had the chance to hit the fairways yet. Usually TE releases clubs in the winter around here in OH so we never seem to get demos until spring/summer when the season rolls around again.

I got to see the e521 fairways and liked their profile with the shallow face and railed sole.
F3267384-8EA1-4AF5-8B72-A1C3E774CD0C.jpeg48C375F5-9543-43EE-A39B-D17AB3E3F2FE.jpeg373D10CE-6058-4696-AD02-66DAA1D5090D.jpeg7BAA14BE-E424-4584-99A4-E87BDB2A19E8.jpeg

Ooh, nice. I'm waiting for my local shop to get in a set of the 521 irons in left hand. I don't remember if they said they're getting the C's or E's. I think I wouldn't mind the E's and their additional sole... but like the more typical looks of the C's and their cavity back.

Saw these today. Size wise they pretty much match the Cobra King OS irons.
I’m weird I take a soft tape measure with me and measure 7i’s lol in the store.

D8EE9A82-E0B0-4300-88CA-EB92D2DD92A7.jpeg1A6453BF-96C3-49E3-BDDF-BEE845651747.jpegE679A139-B3DE-42C1-8E45-A8A27753CDF8.jpegE10065F2-53A8-48B0-90D1-8EFB7E56761C.jpeg

I like everything about the E series driver except the offset. I don't do well with offset but I like the lower profile and longer (front to back) drivers.

The C521 and E521 demo program irons are available now On the Tour Edge site.

The e521 is $39.99 and the c521 with steel shaft is $29.99

Last edited:
Just saw this for sale! I thought the Houdini sole was new technology.
73C39F17-7BE7-47B7-A629-F57759632540.png

Demo'd the c and e 521 driver. As a higher capper, I enjoyed hitting the e. The offset seemed to help it the ball straight or left. The c wanted to go right. Both felt decent. Nice value.

Back