Tour Edge Hot Launch 521 Irons and Iron-Woods

Hope to report soon on the 3 Ironwood. This week’s been a bear between my wife testing positive for the ‘Rona plus about 3-4” of snow hit us

Ohhh man @JB did you know of this sorcery? @Canadan is that considered swag?
JB usually gives irons like this a pass.

I lean heavily on the 'do whatever the hell you want just don't play slow' camp!

Hope to report soon on the 3 Ironwood. This week’s been a bear between my wife testing positive for the ‘Rona plus about 3-4” of snow hit us
sorry to hear that, erock. All the best to your family.

I remember about 10 years ago JB gamed Altitudes for awhile

Haha only 3-4"... Come up here over 15" accumulated... No sight of grass...

Might need to book an indoor trip!

I remember about 10 years ago JB gamed Altitudes for awhile
Not quite 10yrs as they came out in 2012 ;) but indeed, very popular irons. I bagged the Tudes as late as March this year. Very solid iron.

The Iron Woods from Tour Edge I never had as much success with after owning the 6 IW briefly in the HL2, HL3 and HL4 lines.
The major difference in a club like the Altitude/HB/Turbos is they have very minimal offset. Pretty much setup like a blade offset wise. To where the Hot Launch Iron woods have pretty high offset. Not a bad thing either way just pointing that out.

The head on the E521 3 iw has been awesome, love what I'm seeing so far.

Not quite 10yrs as they came out in 2012 ;) but indeed, very popular irons. I bagged the Tudes as late as March this year. Very solid iron.

The Iron Woods from Tour Edge I never had as much success with after owning the 6 IW briefly in the HL2, HL3 and HL4 lines.
The major difference in a club like the Altitude/HB/Turbos is they have very minimal offset. Pretty much setup like a blade offset wise. To where the Hot Launch Iron woods have pretty high offset. Not a bad thing either way just pointing that out.

Agree kind of scary looking down at these clubs the amount of offset... but for whatever reason, i feel extremely confident holding and swinging this thing... there is a definite hole where i dont like using hybrid because left and right are trouble and 4iron leaves me on the front of a huge green... I really need to get to indoor simulator.

B9F410ED-638E-4D23-AC14-42ADB95F2D76.jpegCC775AE4-1999-41FD-AD7B-9317EB95D475.jpegDB492FEA-BA42-482D-8336-F57460868749.jpeg12F336C0-B3A0-4E87-A701-A4494E4B2EC9.jpeg21E9ECAA-530B-4048-BD95-FCCD7996E799.jpeg97F66445-BF85-46D2-AF00-3AC70E4D5C06.jpeg573FB3FD-70DF-491A-AD22-AA6822371E08.jpegCD720E6A-F51D-4429-93D5-DBFA634EA2C1.jpegF4081B07-A86A-47C8-A6D8-CE7BB15EE694.jpeg

Haven't had a chance to hit the 3IW yet but wanted to provide some pics above. Also had a chance to measure the club and it came out to a D2 swingweight and a hair over 39.5". Specs say 39.25" which is right on spec as Tour Edge measures without the grip. As mentioned by Tour Edge this club will have some offset, a thick topline, a shallow face, and a hollow body hybrid like appearance which is aimed at getting the ball airborne as well as mitigating slice action.

My version came with the Fubuki HD50 R flex which is 55g, high launch profile with 4.5 torque. I currently play this shaft in the E521 hybrid and I would say it does have some tip flex and for me feels on the softer side of R flex shafts but still holds up well to my slower tempo moderate swing.

I am not sure how the 19* loft will work for me as I play my 12* driver at 14* and my first fairway wood is 23* but I'll give it a whirl.

Last edited:
Disappointed in Tour Edge right now. I ordered several clubs in this line (521 IW) last month. Received everything fast besides the approach wedge. I sent an email last week but never got a response. I called today and the told me mid February cause there missing components. I would have thought they would have a large stock right after a new release

Disappointed in Tour Edge right now. I ordered several clubs in this line (521 IW) last month. Received everything fast besides the approach wedge. I sent an email last week but never got a response. I called today and the told me mid February cause there missing components. I would have thought they would have a large stock right after a new release
Interesting. Does anyone have them in stock online ? If so I’d buy there and cancel the order with Tour Edge.

I had a chance to get out for 18 yesterday. Mid December in OH, you have to take advantage when you can as it was in the mid 50*'s.

I brought along the 3 IW which is 20*. I had my reservations about playing such a low lofted club as right now my longest down club in the bag is a 23* 9w which I probably launch like most people launch a 5w.

I was playing my 9w for score and hit the 3 IW along side of it on several shots. It did nothing that would have hurt my score or get me out of shape. But with my swing speed and being a low launcher of the ball I would need the 4 IW or 5IW loft to make anything happen with this club. Into the wind shots, it kept up with my 9w (about 185) but in neutral wind conditions the 9w was longer (200-214) to where the IW peaked out around 185. It was a low to mid flight for me. If I had to guess I bet it flies about 155-160 carry with a good amount of roll. I will say it held its line very well so it kept me within the ropes with no penal shots. Sound/feel was fine, nothing off putting and down by the ball I didn't mind the offset.

If I had one criticism of the club it's the Fubuki shaft. It looks great paired with the head. I am slow swinger, slow tempo with a very deliberate backswing so R flex shafts usually suit me fine. I don't know if it's the lighter weight or if the shaft is simply soft in the tip but I feel like this would borderline as an A flex in most shafts I have tried. Feels like you have to really time it. So something to look out for if buying this club. Try if you can, if not, might be worth it to go a flex up.

Some on course pics from yesterday:

ED1AC701-5260-4E81-8EC4-9A9BF4591C1C.jpegA7FAE9F1-5475-4E30-AEFC-9D395A062DA2.jpeg

Anyone try the C521 irons yet ?

Saw 2nd Swing threw up there review today. Nice remarks from them. Love the $69/ea price point. Hoping THP’ers get a chance to provide some feedback on these irons.

As someone who needs launch I like that the lofts are not Uber strong. 28* 6i—- I dig it

looks wise they kinda remind me of a poor mans B21 iron with the blue black and satin look.

Anyone try the C521 irons yet ?

Saw 2nd Swing threw up there review today. Nice remarks from them. Love the $69/ea price point. Hoping THP’ers get a chance to provide some feedback on these irons.

As someone who needs launch I like that the lofts are not Uber strong. 28* 6i—- I dig it

looks wise they kinda remind me of a poor mans B21 iron with the blue black and satin look.

C521 review

Review of the E. Interesting comment, if you chunk it, you get a bad result.

I had a chance to get out for 18 yesterday. Mid December in OH, you have to take advantage when you can as it was in the mid 50*'s.

I brought along the 3 IW which is 20*. I had my reservations about playing such a low lofted club as right now my longest down club in the bag is a 23* 9w which I probably launch like most people launch a 5w.

I was playing my 9w for score and hit the 3 IW along side of it on several shots. It did nothing that would have hurt my score or get me out of shape. But with my swing speed and being a low launcher of the ball I would need the 4 IW or 5IW loft to make anything happen with this club. Into the wind shots, it kept up with my 9w (about 185) but in neutral wind conditions the 9w was longer (200-214) to where the IW peaked out around 185. It was a low to mid flight for me. If I had to guess I bet it flies about 155-160 carry with a good amount of roll. I will say it held its line very well so it kept me within the ropes with no penal shots. Sound/feel was fine, nothing off putting and down by the ball I didn't mind the offset.

If I had one criticism of the club it's the Fubuki shaft. It looks great paired with the head. I am slow swinger, slow tempo with a very deliberate backswing so R flex shafts usually suit me fine. I don't know if it's the lighter weight or if the shaft is simply soft in the tip but I feel like this would borderline as an A flex in most shafts I have tried. Feels like you have to really time it. So something to look out for if buying this club. Try if you can, if not, might be worth it to go a flex up.

Some on course pics from yesterday:

View attachment 8979563View attachment 8979564

I had a similar situation with a Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black wood shaft. They tend to be a bit soft so I had to go with stiff for my 4w even though all of my other clubs have regular shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar situation with a Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black wood shaft. They tend to be a bit soft so I had to go with stiff for my 4w even though all of my other clubs have regular shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Makes sense. I am thinking about buying an E521 hybrid but having them put the Rogue 65 that comes in the C521 hybrids.
assuming they can do that. Just waiting to see what happens With my irons first.

Ok i got out this morning and had the E521 3 ironwood in play... this club was being used instead of the monster 3 hybrid EXS 220 Pro that I have.

So let’s start with the goal position that I would use this club... I have a 4iron 765 Srixon as the top of my irons. From there I go to a 4w OG Cleveland 16.5/17* (not sure to be honest) so this is slated in between these two.

I have never heard of the iron wood and it wasn’t a sexy Utility iron that other hit here like the Srixon U series or the TE Ti utility or others that @Jman has featured. I liked the look and it definitely advertises at address the look of confidence. No problem swinging it or lining it up.

Sooo the shots that were hit… 210, which is outside my flushed 4i and there was wind today… took off high and drawed nicely just off the green. Tried a few off the tee, boomed very high (perhaps fubuki was responsible, or my swing 🤷‍♂️ who knows) drawing nicely, had it been lined up a bit to the right would have cut the corner on a par 4 very nicely.

From the rough, no problem scraping through the turn and delivering a perfect shot. Fairway on the long par 5 was perfect as well to my lay up (layups on par 5s in January, 😢😩😉🙃 I know I know)

I should have taken pictures, my fault i will snap some next time Ohio provides a +40 sunny day.

I have a buddy of mine that is interested in picking up a set of E521 IW.
Those that have tested them, do you have any thoughts - They seem like they are .25 long compared to normal lengths.

With the right shafts in these I think anyone could play these. The iron woods are really well done and have a nice solid feeling. Distance and spin numbers were right in line with what you might expect from a club like this as well

As part of TEEm Tour Edge in 2020 I was fortunate to receive the 3 Ironwood as the last club to test. This one didn’t quite work for me as in that loft I tend to need a fairway wood to gap right. I’d like to pay it forward. It’s the 3 IW with stock Fubuki Reg flex shaft. If anyone is interested in testing this for the site please respond here and I’ll pick a person at random. I’ll end this around 8am Monday (2/8) morning.
0C0A7752-A484-4B86-AC0B-F3ED526B06D3.jpeg0796E831-4EFA-499C-A1F6-07D1D77ECDF8.jpeg52EFA2A0-5493-40DA-8C03-9DDB3A5FE2DA.jpeg7D5FA3F5-7919-4B49-9446-FB201350CD45.jpegD99BF7F2-9152-403F-A2E6-C1BAB5121813.jpeg8C4543FD-77E9-4FD9-A7DF-7C354730993C.jpeg

C521 review

Review of the E. Interesting comment, if you chunk it, you get a bad result.

Yes. The comment about the bad result when chunking a shot is interesting. I thought this type of iron either prevented that from happening as easily and if so it would not be that bad of a result.

Was able to hit the E521 3 iron wood today that I got from @erock9174 and was pleased with the results. Still trying to figure where it will fit in my bag yardage wise. Like some have said the shaft was a little loose near the tip and if I am going to purchase more of these I will look into the different shafts. But really liked the ball flight. Just hit off the mats at the driving range so looking forward to hitting it off the turf hopefully next week!

Was able to hit the E521 3 iron wood today that I got from @erock9174 and was pleased with the results. Still trying to figure where it will fit in my bag yardage wise. Like some have said the shaft was a little loose near the tip and if I am going to purchase more of these I will look into the different shafts. But really liked the ball flight. Just hit off the mats at the driving range so looking forward to hitting it off the turf hopefully next week!
Awesome. Keep us posted. I just picked up the 5 and 6 to test out. Just waiting on my wrist to heal up. Good news is no fracture. Only some tendonitis.

Back