Tour Professionals and Stand Bags

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Lexi's caddie pulled out toward the end of her first Olympic round due to the heat. You would think on hot, humid days caddies would be allowed to carry stand bags, which probably weigh 20 pounds less than their player's regular bag. It's probably an advertising thing, but the welfare of the caddies should come before that.

I just saw that, I'm asking this because I have no idea but is a caddy required to carry that kind of bag? Maybe they can't use a smaller one because it doesn't hold enough stuff for them?

Stinks it happened, but it's a question I have had for a while since some of those bags look as big as the caddy, couldn't they also be made to be way lighter I'd the company wanted since I wouldn't think it would be jossled as much while walking up and down a course.

Unless my eyes were deceiving me, I think the Ireland guys were sporting stand bags (looked like Stitch?) during their Olympic play.

Who knows why they are using tour bags in the Olympics, as there are no sponsors on the bags. A Tour bag has more real estate for sponsors' logos.

I think Rickie uses a stand bag sometimes, maybe it's at the WM open?

When I was a Junior in high school, I caddied in the then LPGA Ladies Citrus Open at my home course of Rio Pinar in Orlando. I drew a real "C U Next Tuesday" player that had won the California State Amateur tournament before turning pro. During the practice round, she had a huge staff bag with about 30 clubs in it. It also had a huge plastic bag with about 100 new gloves inside, and then she had a ton of balls, multiple rain shirts/gear and God knows what else - it weighed a TON. Her playing partner during the practice round said "C'mon, give the guy a break", but she didn't. No big deal really, but during the pro-am and the 2 rounds where she failed to make the cut, I bet the bag was 50 lbs. lighter! As I recall, the tournament was in May, so plenty hot.

They definitely can carry a stand bag if they want to.

I can't decide who would be more against this, the governing bodies, or the caddies themselves.
Probably some rule at the golf course about using your own.....

Lehman's Caddy was carrying a stand bag last i saw him

Lexi's caddie pulled out toward the end of her first Olympic round due to the heat. You would think on hot, humid days caddies would be allowed to carry stand bags, which probably weigh 20 pounds less than their player's regular bag. It's probably an advertising thing, but the welfare of the caddies should come before that.
I think some of these staff bags are built super light these days. Still not the 3 pound carry bags that ping and others make.

also. Humidity sucks…

Feels kinda optional, man
Especially for those who's wife, fiancé caddy for them, I have noticed that they sometimes carry stand bags

Funny this is being discussed. I was watching the Men's Olymoic golf and I had the same thought. Why do they need a Tour bag. Forecast had to be for hot day(s) get a few extra towels and gloves. The big bag isn't necessary.

Back