Tour Striker Plane Mate

I have now been working through the protocols for a couple of months. I think there is real value in the training aid, but there is also real value in getting the protocols down. Like others have said, this is not a quick fix, but is a system/plan for improvement. I play to a 4 now, so have figured out how to get around the course OK, but wanted something to help me improve. I am much better at chip and pitch shots than I was before, and I think I have the feeling of shallowing the club better. But it’s been a little bit of a slow haul. However, I think it is improving my game slowly. Just don’t think you’ll buy this and drop strokes immediately. Great training tool if you are willing to put in the work. My two cents.

I just purchased a new matt that I am hoping to be able to hit off either indoor or outside into a fence so I can restart the protocols during lockdown. It really is going to be a huge change for most handicap golfers, low index players like yourself are probably a lot closer than a hack like myself. But I agree 100% if you put in the work on this, you will yield great results but it isn't an instant fix.

Last edited:
Pre-ordered for a June delivery, but got an email saying it should ship this week!

So yesterday I re-did day 1 protocols, and then went into day 2- the one handed swings with left and right.

Well I think of myself as a pretty powerful guy, hit home runs in slowpitch, still play 40 hockey games a year at 45, can launch the odd drive.
But having rotator cuff problems in my left shoulder in the past has resulted in a shorter backswing (about 10, 11 o'clock is as far as I can go), and me not using that arm/shoulder as much for strenuous things. So doing the one handed swings with my left hand, I was using muscles I haven't used in a long time. Wow I'm weak, lol. I could only do 15, then had to switch and do my 30 right hand ones, then after completed the last 15 reps with the left hand. I think this will be great for re-strengthening my shoulder as well. It's not painful, just a hard workout.
May kill 2 birds with one stone with this device :)

That being said, the end of day 2 you are to hit 20' and work your way up to 60' shots. Man were those crisp.

Can't wait to try day 3 tonight.

Day 3 of protocols is Rotation & Relocation, you bring the club back to parallel, and then relax and let it drop back, and then follow through and clip a ball. You are supposed to start with a tee, but I had little trouble with this drill. I really see what TXG guys meant by ghost arms, lol. I shot a great round on my sim after going through the protocols. I can see some of the benefits of this device already. It was an easier course, but I stuck with what I have learned so far, and it payed off.

1586360742828.png

I really want one of these!
I like the Tour striker Ball a lot.

Day 4: Finishing Form - really was quite easy, and doing this in front of a mirror to make sure I was doing as they show in the video. I've seen lots online where they are doing them wrong and didn't want to risk it. I will video myself going over these again sometime.

Day 5: Resist, Resist, Relax & Rotate - I had a bit more difficult time with this one. I could do it easily, and then put a ball in front and I shanked a few. :unsure: The biggest thing was after taking it off, those "ghost hands" appeared and it seemed to sink in.

Day 6: Ground Force Reactions - I found by doing this squat exercise, it made the relax part in day 5 easier for me. Really liking the feel of shots this way, and it helps me shallow the club when I do it correctly with little effort.

Just about through the second tier of exercises with the long band. This is really changing my release/follow through for the better. Which is adding a bit more consistency.
I shot even par in a sim round at greenbrier from championship tees the other night. Mind you every round isn't like that (I wish), but I year ago I wouldn't have dreamed about that. My driver was on and I think the practice positions of the plane mate have helped with this as well.

I have been taking lessons, and he was trying to get me to do basically what the plane mate teaches you as my follow through was really sloppy previously. Obviously I haven't been able to continue my lessons since the covid thing, but I really wonder what he's going to think when I go for another lesson, as it should be a big change. And I think I'm doing things correctly as I've been filming myself, but it wouldn't hurt to see what my instructor says about my progress.

So worth the money if you follow the protocols!

Just bumping this so it's up on my feed for later. I have been working through some issues and inconsistencies that have crept back into my swing. I have been keeping my left arm pinned to my chest for way too long in the swing. My right elbow wants to start my downswing and my right shoulder wants to drop down with it. Causing early extension, a wide open face, and all sorts of other fun stuff.

Can't really get to the range to work through it. So, after just coming across this device online, I figured it was worth a look. It is pretty spendy. But, if it proves to be a good tool, it could very well be worth the price.

Without reading through the thread until later, have any of you guys that have used it seen success just using it indoors without actually hitting balls? I want to work on this issue, but can't get any range time.

Without reading through the thread until later, have any of you guys that have used it seen success just using it indoors without actually hitting balls? I want to work on this issue, but can't get any range time.
I'd bet you would get away with practice balls or almost golf balls and hitting into a towel or something. I'm through the first 2 sections of protocols, and most are partial shots, or parts of the swing so you're not killing the ball anyways.
I'm starting the last set tonight and may have more full swings involved, but there is plenty of material you could practice with almost golf balls, or none really.
I would say this is worth every penny "if you follow the protocols", get it.

1588786379049.png

Last edited:
Ok, I have been reading through the thread and have watched a few videos on it. No doubt that it helps promote a lot of positive things. But, I am wondering if it will help with what I am having issues with. The move I am putting on the ball now would essentially release a lot of the built up pressure in the band. I don't know if it will help sync my arms better. And, I don't know that I am going to drop $170 on a hunch.

Still have some digging to do. Maybe the feeling of keeping tension in the band would be beneficial. I don't know.

Well I'd completed all the protocols, and figured I had it figured out. Shot some of the best golf of my life for a few rounds. Then the Over the top move, and more arms came back into play a bit and I was actually hosel shanking a few. Was getting really frustrated. So I did like 3 of the short band protocols, and feeling the "ghost arms" again got me back on track.
Had some real good contact on the course yesterday. But realize my OTT move has been with me forever, and working with the planemate is a wonder for that. Just that you have to continue with the protocols in my opinion to completely ingrain these moves into your game. Going through them once really changed me, but I should have continued.
So I think I'll restart the protocols again tonight, and continue with them all summer.

Well I'd completed all the protocols, and figured I had it figured out. Shot some of the best golf of my life for a few rounds. Then the Over the top move, and more arms came back into play a bit and I was actually hosel shanking a few. Was getting really frustrated. So I did like 3 of the short band protocols, and feeling the "ghost arms" again got me back on track.
Had some real good contact on the course yesterday. But realize my OTT move has been with me forever, and working with the planemate is a wonder for that. Just that you have to continue with the protocols in my opinion to completely ingrain these moves into your game. Going through them once really changed me, but I should have continued.
So I think I'll restart the protocols again tonight, and continue with them all summer.
I have incorporated the planemate into my warm up routine, both before rounds and before practice sessions. I go through some of the short band/ wedge protocols, hitting into the net at home before I go to the course. I usually do About 5 reps of each of the first seven day protocals as I work from partial to full swing.

At least once or twice each week I will take it to the range and hit Wedges, short and mid irons, fw woods and then driver with it. I don’t use the longer band, just use the short band for everything. Been fully committed to the planemate since late February. Hitting the ball best I have hit the ball ever. Dropped my index by over 50%. (4.5 last season to 1-2 currently).

I have incorporated the planemate into my warm up routine, both before rounds and before practice sessions. I go through some of the short band/ wedge protocols, hitting into the net at home before I go to the course. I usually do About 5 reps of each of the first seven day protocals as I work from partial to full swing.

At least once or twice each week I will take it to the range and hit Wedges, short and mid irons, fw woods and then driver with it. I don’t use the longer band, just use the short band for everything. Been fully committed to the planemate since late February. Hitting the ball best I have hit the ball ever. Dropped my index by over 50%. (4.5 last season to 1-2 currently).
Nice. I may try that for the rest of the season.

The first thing I thought when seeing it was how many funny memes will be floating around with a picture of it in them!
haha. briefly reminds me of Kevin Costner in "Tin Cup" when he dons all that "stuff".

haha. briefly reminds me of Kevin Costner in "Tin Cup" when he dons all that "stuff".
I call it my tin cup trainer :D.
But it actually works!

I have many of Martin's training aids. I particularly like the Smart Ball. Some of his items, I recreated in my home made fashion, and though not nearly the same quality, gets the job done (for me). He has another which is similar called the "Sami", actually named by his daughter.

I had a lesson yesterday and my instructor had just received his planemate. He had been on vacation for 7 weeks and after watching me hit he said lets try it. I cast the club a little and have fought that since day one. This really cleaned up any casting move i had while using it. I hit 20 balls or so and then we took it off. The feeling of your club after using the planemate is very head heavy. It took as few swings for the club to feel normal again to me. I started ripping 8 & 6 irons with no casting.

I came home and ordered one last night. I plan to do the protocols i need to break this casting i have. I ma glad to see you guys having good results!

Been using this in my lessons, but finally ordered one for myself and have had it about a week and a half. Been working on the first few protocols and doing some stretching as well. Really helps me work on keeping the club head outside my hands on the way back and just outside on the way thru.

Played 9 holes Friday and was pin high, 10 yards right off the first green which hasn't happened for as long as I can remember. I did have a tailwind, but I was 40+ yards past where I normally am on a great hit.

Next hole was into the wind, and I was past the green left... Which I would never expect, especially into that wind. And I had more great results for the round. Obviously the correct moves help distance...

34 with 3 birdies and a bogey. Excited to get out again once the weather warms up a bit.

For now, I'll continue the drills.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Iv mentioned it before, but the best way I can describe the feeling is when I get to the end of my back swing and get ready to start down swing, I feel like I have a big rake and I'm going to pull a huge pile of leaves through. Just leave it behind and use your hips and legs to pull it through. The ball just gets in the way. You will know if you yank it from the top and don't rotate.
Tried this thought at the range, and it was money, thanks for sharing!

The planemate is money. I use it daily, and now that there is snow on the ground I have been using the red exercise band to keep the positions and feels ingrained.

Used mine to warm up on Sunday. Got me into form quick.
With having a sim in my house and not golfing everyday like summer. I like this to get the "feel" back of my swing before a round.

Back